Pure Noise Rec test press auctions for Oakland Childrens Hospital

Wish I had endless money for that Gates test. Damn.

So, what exactly is the allure of test presses? Is it like a completist mentality thing? Like you're getting the thing that the band and label listened to in order to okay the release?

Not judging, just trying to understand. I know so many of you here are into them.

So, what exactly is the allure of test presses? Is it like a completist mentality thing? Like you're getting the thing that the band and label listened to in order to okay the release?

Not judging, just trying to understand. I know so many of you here are into them.

Test pressings are usually the rarest pressing of a record. They used to be pressed in a quantity of 5-10. Some labels have made it a habit of pressing 50 or more of these so called "test" pressings, which has made it stupid. It's part completist and another part my pressing is rarer than yours. Collector nerd shit like most of the stuff on here.  ;)

Yeah it's simply owning the rarest copy of an album. I agree with the sentiment that any test with more than 10-15 copies is a bit ridiculous, but if it comes with cool unique cover art, it makes it more tolerable.

Test pressings are usually the rarest pressing of a record. They used to be pressed in a quantity of 5-10. Some labels have made it a habit of pressing 50 or more of these so called "test" pressings, which has made it stupid. It's part completist and another part my pressing is rarer than yours. Collector nerd shit like most of the stuff on here. ;)

So it really is just about rarity, then. It's interesting what some people are into... haha.

I honestly thought it was something like where the label got these as "listening" copies to make sure the pressing was fine to do their full run on.

Test pressings are usually the rarest pressing of a record. They used to be pressed in a quantity of 5-10. Some labels have made it a habit of pressing 50 or more of these so called "test" pressings, which has made it stupid. It's part completist and another part my pressing is rarer than yours. Collector nerd shit like most of the stuff on here.  ;)

Yeah, why would people posting on a message board called Vinyl Collective want to collect extremely rare records?

I'm here because I love music on vinyl. Rarity means absolutely fuck-all to me.

And to be honest, I'm actually kind of against it. It's offensive to me that sometimes wondrous, amazing music is limited and withheld from being widely available on a certain medium. For instance, records like Cult of Luna - Salvation, Oceansize - Effloresce, the first few Rosetta albums.... etc.

If you're doing special variants.... sure. The rarity thing is fine. But general pressings of amazing music shouldn't be limited. But I understand that these albums are put out by hobby labels who aren't making tons of cash... so, perhaps it's simply the resulting consequence of the parameters of the situation.

So it really is just about rarity, then. It's interesting what some people are into... haha.

I honestly thought it was something like where the label got these as "listening" copies to make sure the pressing was fine to do their full run on.

This is what they were originally for and people still use them as such. Now a lot of people just get extras made to sell and it's stupid.

I'm here because I love music on vinyl. Rarity means absolutely fuck-all to me.

And to be honest, I'm actually kind of against it. It's offensive to me that sometimes wondrous, amazing music is limited and withheld from being widely available on a certain medium. For instance, records like Cult of Luna - Salvation, Oceansize - Effloresce, the first few Rosetta albums.... etc.

If you're doing special variants.... sure. The rarity thing is fine. But general pressings of amazing music shouldn't be limited. But I understand that these albums are put out by hobby labels who aren't making tons of cash... so, perhaps it's simply the resulting consequence of the parameters of the situation.

Man, somebody should really start a library for records...

Man, somebody should really start a library for records...

Nah, libraries are for old people and hobos.  We need something that seems modern and hip.  Maybe like a NetFlix for records?  That seems like a winning idea!  OR better yet, a streaming service for records.  $10/mo and you can stream all the LPs you want!