PO: Baroness - Purple

Their live shows kick ass even with the lineup change, and I can't wait to hear the new album and see them play as many times as I can.

Agreed. I saw them with Ghost two summers ago, if I recall correctly, and they were just fucking majestic. I had goose bumps the whole set, especially considering what Baizley & Co. had gone through the year prior.

I'm noticing that the only folks keen on Y&G – or at least the ones preferring it to older material – are also the ones who've begun their Baroness exposure with Y&G. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's the pattern I'm spotting.

I've been onboard since Red Album (I have the original Hyperrealist pressing to prove it) and I still dig Y&G. I've probably played it more than anything else in their catalog, tbh.

I'm noticing that the only folks keen on Y&G – or at least the ones preferring it to older material – are also the ones who've begun their Baroness exposure with Y&G. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's the pattern I'm spotting.

I started with the First EP and followed them since. I love Y&G.

I've been onboard since Red Album (I have the original Hyperrealist pressing to prove it) and I still dig Y&G. I've probably played it more than anything else in their catalog, tbh.

That's interesting.  To each their own, for sure, but I still think you fall into that minority I mentioned.

I started with the First EP and followed them since. I love Y&G.

And there's definitely nothing wrong with that.  (I'm not here to convince anyone that they shouldn't.)  Would you say it's their best material?

Super amped on this new lavender record!

Interesting, the Yellow and Green art is supposed to be an image of right before something terrible happens. Crazy with the bus wreck and everything right around that time.

Anyhow, anyone want to sell a copy of the yellow/green deluxe lp that hated it? I'll gladly take it off your hands.

Deluxe or regular, preferably yellow green vinyl. JAH.

Also considering some of the lyrics...

Got into the band with Second, love everything they've ever done. Their first show in Detroit after the accident was so triumphant...easily one of the most memorable shows I've ever attended. awesome dudes, too.

I discovered Baroness after they released their Second EP. I saw them opening for Torche in a small club, their songs kicked ass, they had so much energy on stage so they won me over. I also enjoyed a lot the Red album, it has epic songs and love the sound they achieved. Later with Blue I started to find them a bit boring, I didn't quite enjoy the second half of the album but still it was fine. Then Y&G came out.

To be honest I strongly disliked that record at first. I tried it, many times, but there was no way that record would work for me. I still bought the deluxe version, just because I love Baizley's artwork, and also because I knew it had potential. Despite all the shit, it could be a grower, and if not, I could always get rid of it.

So I put that copy on the shelf, and finally last year I felt the need to listen to it. Suddenly it made sense, the album as a whole, every single song, no fillers. Now I am happy I got that copy on time and am looking forward to their next release.

I guess it happened the same as with other bands that dramatically change their direction. At first it is very difficult to dig, but with time you get to understand the change.

So to me: 1st/2nd, red, yellow/green, blue

And there's definitely nothing wrong with that.  (I'm not here to convince anyone that they shouldn't.)  Would you say it's their best material?

I do think Yellow & Green is their best material in terms of musicianship and concept.  If you are craving a straight up metal album, it's not going to be your thing, but its a really good album.  As bortx pointed out, it is a grower for a lot of fans.  I get why some people were turned off by it, but I don't think people gave it a proper chance.  Saying that you don't need to listen to anything after Blue is a disservice IMO.

I can't really pick my favorite album.  The Baroness record I go to really depends on my mood.  1st/2nd is an amazing ripper.  Red is so solid, and Yellow/Green is so creative.  Blue has amazing songs, but I think it has a few weaknesses.  Still a great album.  I'm looking forward to Purple.