Brick and Mortar record stores.

I wish I'd have been on this board last summer before I went to SLC. I was trying to find a good record store while I was there. I'll know by the 18th whether I've been accepted for the Utah Arts Fest this year or not, though...if it's a yes, I'll be trying to find this place while I'm there.

It's right across the street from the University. You can take trax pretty much right to. It's super convenient to get to.

I miss it.

k1ATxsK.jpg

I wish I'd have been on this board last summer before I went to SLC. I was trying to find a good record store while I was there. I'll know by the 18th whether I've been accepted for the Utah Arts Fest this year or not, though...if it's a yes, I'll be trying to find this place while I'm there.

There are three great record stores in SLC. There's Graywhale that has four locations throughout the valley, plus one further up north. They've got a good mix of everything new and used. I like the University of Utah location best, but I stop by all the other stores when I'm in the area. There's also Randy's, which has a good selection of rare older stuff, plus some newer stuff.They've been around since the 70s. Diabolical Records, is a newish store, but it's awesome. I think they opened after Matt moved away. They're more focused on Garage rock/psych/punk/experimental. They've got a good selection, the owners are awesome, and they've got shows going on in the shop all the time. They're a huge asset in the local music scene.

There are three great record stores in SLC. There's Graywhale that has four locations throughout the valley, plus one further up north. They've got a good mix of everything new and used. I like the University of Utah location best, but I stop by all the other stores when I'm in the area. There's also Randy's, which has a good selection of rare older stuff, plus some newer stuff.They've been around since the 70s. Diabolical Records, is a newish store, but it's awesome. I think they opened after Matt moved away. They're more focused on Garage rock/psych/punk/experimental. They've got a good selection, the owners are awesome, and they've got shows going on in the shop all the time. They're a huge asset in the local music scene.

I went to Diabolical a few times before I moved. It was just so awkward cause they share space and have odd hours. You can't buy from half the shop cause it's closed for the other half to be open. I don't think I ever bought anything from there cause of it. That's cool they're doing more local shows though.

I went to Diabolical a few times before I moved. It was just so awkward cause they share space and have odd hours. You can't buy from half the shop cause it's closed for the other half to be open. I don't think I ever bought anything from there cause of it. That's cool they're doing more local shows though.

Sounds like it's improved a ton since you left. The guy that was sharing a space with them actually moved out and started his own shop. It's called Albatross Records. I haven't stopped by though, so I don't know how good it is. They've got better hours now too. The shows going on aren't just local shows. They host a ton of touring bands. In the last year I've seen Mount Eerie, Bell Witch, Eagle Twin, Caddywhompus, Cool Ghouls, All Dogs, The Shivas, Father Murphy, Twerps, G.L.O.S.S., Scott Kelly (of Neurosis), The Coathangers, Colleen Green, Advance Base, La Luz, Peach Kelli Pop, The Relationship, The Entrance Band, and a ton more I can't remember. 

There is 4 different local record shops I visit where I know the owner on a first name basis. IMO, this is important. I hang out and chit chat in all of them if I have the time. I get calls when they get stuff I'm looking for, and normally get a better deal than the price they are asking.

Visit your local shops, support them. This is very important in today's world.

I spend waaaay more money in local stores than online. Its pretty rare that I preorder online, but I'm not into variant collecting or anything like that. Most of my online purchases have been OOP titles that I'd never find in a store, and hell even that I've only done maybe 5 times. There have been a couple records I was looking for for years that could have been easily found online, but I get way more enjoyment from stumbling upon one at a store. For me, that's the fun part of the hobby, walking into a store a finding that random record you've wanted for years.

To be honest, having a record store anywhere within 100 miles of me is still kind of a novelty to me. I moved from a town of 500, where the only place to buy music at all was a Walmart, to a town about 45 miles north of Boston...before that, unless I was traveling I really didn't have any option to buy records other than mail order.

If I had a "local" record store, there's no doubt I'd be there at least twice a week. Unfortunately the closest places to me that sells records are a couple Exchanges. Heard we'll be getting an actual store soon though so I hope it happens.

Square Records in Akron is the closest, decent store that I know of but it's still at least a 20 minute drive I think.

If I'm not buying from an indepdent record store, I'm buying directly from a label or a band

So that makes 11 or 12 of us in this little community? Looks like OP's suspicions were right

just because people aren't coming in here saying "yeah, I shop at brick and mortar stores doesn't mean that more of us don't. I shop at a couple joints around portland...I just don't feel the need to tell you guys my spending habits.

I have to buy online as I live in the middle of nowhere. Nearest (maybe decent) "brick & mortar" stores are 3-4 hours away from me. I do like getting limited and/or colored variants. Also, I can't imagine a lot of what I like and listen to, to be carried in those types of places.

Maybe I'm making excuses, but that's what works for me...

Also in the Phoenix area and stick to Zia and A place called Double Nickels collective, as Issei mentioned. Worked at Zia for a couple years and have been going there for about 15 years now. They have much more money now, been around 30 years, so their selection has grown on new stuff and they have much larger stores, but their prices and selection of used vary by management and their team they have processing trade deals. Stinkweeds is another great one that has been around for yeeears. Bought my first Appleseed Cast CD in their old Tempe location by Asu when Two Conversations came out. There's used to be a place called Hoodlums that was on Asu campus, but they moved and ended up going under. Fairest prices ever and had a great local section. The owner ended up passing last year and the CO owner of that has something to do with Revolver Records I believe. I love the interaction or just going in and putting my head down rummaging, beats scrolling through Discogs listings at home. Also my mom moved to Denver and I think Twist and Shout is my favorite store to spend a whole day in.

Other than Record Store Day, the most I ever spent in a record store is at Zia in Phoenix. I think I spent $250-$300 there. Insane stock they had.

I do think people here not going to brick and mortar speaks mostly to what jhook is talking about, but people need to take into account pre-orders, records bands have at shows, limited distribution of certain records, location of good brick and mortars, and competition from cheaper online stores. It's not only the fact that kids may be buried in their smartphones and what the 2,000th repress of Blink on splatter, but yeah that definitely does play a role.

Also, I think we have a poor sample here as most people here may not venture into record stores but other collectors on other forums or people who don't post on forums do so regularly.

I've only got one 'local' store and with parking being a nightmare and it being a distance I only go 2 or so times a month. Guys in there are cool though.

I very rarely go to the London stores as they are so overly priced it's staggering. Always horrendously busy too so you can't really chat to people in there or have a relaxed browse.