so is anyone into collection prints/posters also?

coldober

My friend failed as well. He said in 10 seconds they were gone. I'm wondering if you were to get a fiber optic cable and have super fast internet connection this would up your chances?

Not anymore unfortunately.  Most of the Mondo drop professionals are now saying that since they've started implementing a staggered drop, it basically now turns all of their high demand drops into a virtual lottery.

Yo dudes (also posted this in the mondo prints thread but...) im a newb and all and i tried looking through this thread but didn't see anything but anyway best frames to get for my prints? just got the Ghibli prints in and want to take care of them in the long run and have no idea what to get. First of all there size is strange (20 x 36 i believe)  and i couldn't find any place that sells them online, Whats the best (best looking) size frame for this kind of print? was going to go to ikea but then i heard that i should buy a special frame cause the glass shouldn't touch the print and other stuff. Whats best buds? are ikea frames ok? will we ever meet aliens? 

thanks dudddees. Help me out

Yo dudes (also posted this in the mondo prints thread but...) im a newb and all and i tried looking through this thread but didn't see anything but anyway best frames to get for my prints? just got the Ghibli prints in and want to take care of them in the long run and have no idea what to get. First of all there size is strange (20 x 36 i believe)  and i couldn't find any place that sells them online, Whats the best (best looking) size frame for this kind of print? was going to go to ikea but then i heard that i should buy a special frame cause the glass shouldn't touch the print and other stuff. Whats best buds? are ikea frames ok? will we ever meet aliens? 

thanks dudddees. Help me out

Well...  

God this could take a while if I felt like going into huge detail.  Though I feel most of it is really anal, so I'll stick to the basics.

First things first, start getting your prints flattened.  You never want to put a rolled print directly into a frame.  To do this, make an acid free foamcore sandwich and either use clips or an evenly distributed weight (such as plywood or a pane of glass) to help keep the sandwich together.  Be very careful not to bend your print while pressing the foamcore sandwich together.  I assume since your ghibli prints haven't been in a tube for very long, this process should only last a week or two but that all depends on the paper and the sized tube (3" or 4") that the print was rolled in.

You can buy spacers that will separate your print from the glass.  Not very expensive either.

Your cheapest bet is UV plexi glass to protect from UV rays of natural sunlight and/or house lighting.  The cost can go all the way up to museum glass.

You'll also need acid free foamcore backing, which framesbymail.com offers for a small additional charge.

Here's what I do for a cheap DIY alternative.

framesbymail.com

Get your custom sized frame there for a good price.  They also offer matting if you so desire.  Don't buy your plexiglass there because they don't offer UV protection.  They do sell spacers in 5-foot lengths and are about $3 a piece.  Their spacers have an adhesive side that you attach to the outskirts of the plexiglass outside of the viewing area.

Go to either americanframes.com or if you have a hobby lobby near by, they can get you the UV glass/plexi cut custom sized.  I believe there's been a long running 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby UV glass/plexi.

Since framesbymail.com frames don't come with wire, you can pickup like a 500-foot roll off amazon.com for like $25.  They do come with the hangers though, so all you'll need is the wire.

I'd also recommend getting framers tape to seal the back of the foamcore to the back of the frame.  That way, moisture cannot get into your frame.  I believe that's like $14 off amazon.com for a good sized roll.

Also, don't go by what an online dimension is of your print.  Make sure to measure your print exactly before ordering the custom frame.  Often times the online dimensions aren't exact or just plain wrong.

If you're interested in learning more and getting totally anal about your framing, use these forums.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=3

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=31

Hope that helps?

Well...  

God this could take a while if I felt like going into huge detail.  Though I feel most of it is really anal, so I'll stick to the basics.

First things first, start getting your prints flattened.  You never want to put a rolled print directly into a frame.  To do this, make an acid free foamcore sandwich and either use clips or an evenly distributed weight (such as plywood or a pane of glass) to help keep the sandwich together.  Be very careful not to bend your print while pressing the foamcore sandwich together.  I assume since your ghibli prints haven't been in a tube for very long, this process should only last a week or two but that all depends on the paper and the sized tube (3" or 4") that the print was rolled in.

You can buy spacers that will separate your print from the glass.  Not very expensive either.

Your cheapest bet is UV plexi glass to protect from UV rays of natural sunlight and/or house lighting.  The cost can go all the way up to museum glass.

You'll also need acid free foamcore backing, which framesbymail.com offers for a small additional charge.

Here's what I do for a cheap DIY alternative.

framesbymail.com

Get your custom sized frame there for a good price.  They also offer matting if you so desire.  Don't buy your plexiglass there because they don't offer UV protection.  They do sell spacers in 5-foot lengths and are about $3 a piece.  Their spacers have an adhesive side that you attach to the outskirts of the plexiglass outside of the viewing area.

Go to either americanframes.com or if you have a hobby lobby near by, they can get you the UV glass/plexi cut custom sized.  I believe there's been a long running 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby UV glass/plexi.

Since framesbymail.com frames don't come with wire, you can pickup like a 500-foot roll off amazon.com for like $25.  They do come with the hangers though, so all you'll need is the wire.

I'd also recommend getting framers tape to seal the back of the foamcore to the back of the frame.  That way, moisture cannot get into your frame.  I believe that's like $14 off amazon.com for a good sized roll.

Also, don't go by what an online dimension is of your print.  Make sure to measure your print exactly before ordering the custom frame.  Often times the online dimensions aren't exact or just plain wrong.

If you're interested in learning more and getting totally anal about your framing, use these forums.

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=3

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewforum.php?f=31

Hope that helps?

Dude thanks so much, really didnt know what i was getting into hahah. Ill research more with all of this. So spacers a must, wire though? for? 

Hanging wire. Though there are other methods depending on your preference...

Yeah, you think "hey cool, I now own a new print" then you realize the work it now is going to take to handle and display it properly and it gets a bit more tedious (probably why there are so many flippers).

Though just like any other hobby, once you learn the ropes you'll be fine. I actually realized I enjoy the entire process after just going through all this with the 4 prints I just framed a couple weeks ago.

Hanging wire. Though there are other methods depending on your preference...

Yeah, you think "hey cool, I now own a new print" then you realize the work it now is going to take to handle and display it properly and it gets a bit more tedious (probably why there are so many flippers).

Though just like any other hobby, once you learn the ropes you'll be fine. I actually realized I enjoy the entire process after just going through all this with the 4 prints I just framed a couple weeks ago.

Always loved posters, but tacked them up cause well they don't cost much. I've been keeping up with mondo but spent all my extra money on records ahah. Had to get those ghiblis though, But fuck everything about it is expensive. My friends just put there stuff in walmart frames, like records on crosleys i guess hahaha. don't want to do that. Thanks for your help bud. It will be great learning about this new hobby i've always wanted to get into.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up today on the drop.  First time in over 20 years this original art for Phish's album "Rift" has ever been made available as a print from the original artist David Welker.  12x18 giclee.  Limited to only 30.  Best part?  $30.  The 2nd pic is the image modified for use as the album artwork.  Pretty neat.

33es8za.jpg

Phish-Rift.jpg

That is pretty sweet. I don't know if I'd be willing to pay more than $30 for a giclee.

Not a huge fan of giclees either (this will be my first) but there's no way you're gonna be able to screen print an original painting like this with all the different colors involved, so really a giclee is the only option here to capture the OG. It was either $30 on the drop or the $500+ the couple on eBay are going for ;)

Welker did a giclee of the actual album cover /100 back in 2009 and those sell for extremely high prices ($1500-1800) today. I never underestimate the rabid fanbase that are Phish fans. Feel very fortunate I was able to land one today.

Not a huge fan of giclees either (this will be my first) but there's no way you're gonna be able to screen print an original painting like this with all the different colors involved, so really a giclee is the only option here to capture the OG. It was either $30 on the drop or the $100+ the couple on eBay are going for ;)

Yeah, I mean it is definitely a great score, especially if you were a fan of the art for a long time and everything. I am just always skeptical of $50+ inkjet prints.