PO: THE MARS VOLTA Frances the Mute triple LP

Guest admin1338560633

2 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Well, the band saw no money from it, so that's probably why they were not happy with it.

Fair, but still misguided, MOV has been doing this a long time.  They would have done everything above board, if Mars Volta came out the other side without money they need to yell at their label or take a closer look at their contract.

1 minute ago, thievedrelic said:

WHY WOULD YOU GUYS BUMP THIS THREAD FOR THIS AND GIVE ME FALSE HOPE

I seriously considered not just for this reason, haha.

Though, if someone would answer my question perhaps we can just all resign ourselves to the 'unofficial' 2015 release (which apparently IS the official repress, just released in less-than-legal fashion).

1 minute ago, shawnayala90 said:

Wait, where is there an MOV press of frances?? I thought they only did Deloused and Amputechture?

Not really, no.  There is this:  https://www.discogs.com/The-Mars-Volta-Frances-The-Mute/release/7418673

Which apparently was what was going to be released.

1 minute ago, daegor said:

Not really, no.  There is this:  https://www.discogs.com/The-Mars-Volta-Frances-The-Mute/release/7418673

Which apparently was what was going to be released.

Ah i see, as someone who owns all the og pressings besides Deloused, i say just hunt down a 2005 3LP copy. It sounds incredible, and that one looks a little sketchy to me.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

Though, if someone would answer my question perhaps we can just all resign ourselves to the 'unofficial' 2015 release (which apparently IS the official repress, just released in less-than-legal fashion).

Can you explain this? Is there an article or something you could link? If it's official, I'd buy one. Discogs reviews (take them with a grain of salt if you will) say it sounds excellent.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

just because a bootleg sounds decent doesn't mean it's not a bootleg... pretty pointless to bump this just to get people to support your purchase of a bootleg...

24 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Can you explain this? Is there an article or something you could link? If it's official, I'd buy one. Discogs reviews (take them with a grain of salt if you will) say it sounds excellent.

I'm a little hazy on the details myself.  I did a quick search and couldn't really find anything, but I do recall reading about it at the time.  There is this:  https://www.discogs.com/label/850220-Gold-Standard-Laboratories-2

This secondary label was created to house unofficial recordings claiming to be from Gold Standard Laboratories

GSL being the label co-run by Omar.

2 minutes ago, ethereal said:

just because a bootleg sounds decent doesn't mean it's not a bootleg... pretty pointless to bump this just to get people to support your purchase of a bootleg...

WTF are you even talking about?

16 minutes ago, daegor said:

I'm a little hazy on the details myself.  I did a quick search and couldn't really find anything, but I do recall reading about it at the time.  There is this:  https://www.discogs.com/label/850220-Gold-Standard-Laboratories-2

GSL being the label co-run by Omar.

From the looks of it, they're counterfeit and just used Omar's label because they needed to say it came from somewhere

6 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

From the looks of it, they're counterfeit and just used Omar's label because they needed to say it came from somewhere

Very possible.

I do wonder if these are the plates MOV was going to use (they were far enough along in the process to have plates made before they ceased).  They has definitely been the case in many bootleg situations.

Hence my question.  Does anyone actually own a copy of it or nah?

I had the 2015 press and it sounded great. It is little known (and at least was not updated on discogs when i last checked) but the 2015 product code or whatever  on the spine reads "GLS 96" not "GSL 96" for "Gold Standard Labs". Easy way to tell the two apart as I believe the 2005 version shows "GSL 96"

11 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

I had the 2015 press and it sounded great. It is little known (and at least was not updated on discogs when i last checked) but the 2015 product code or whatever  on the spine reads "GLS 96" not "GSL 96" for "Gold Standard Labs". Easy way to tell the two apart as I believe the 2005 version shows "GSL 96"

Cheers!

19 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

and also, isn't the 2015 version missing the etching on the last side? at least from what i've seen pictures. i've been meaning to buy one myself, just to have in my Volta collection, bootleg or not.