Record Store Day 2011 Thread - April 16

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More details on all the Merge releases:

WILD FLAG - "Future Crimes" b/w "Glass Tambourine" 7-inch

The hotly anticipated debut release from the new musical partnership between Carrie Brownstein, Mary Timony, Janet Weiss and Rebecca Cole will be released exclusively in 7-inch form on Record Store Day! Produced by Spoon's Britt Daniel, these tracks have already become viral hits through widely circulated videos taken during the band's recent tour dates. Maybe this 7-inch will answer the question posed by WILD FLAG: What do you get when you cross a hamburger with a hot dog?

Superchunk - Here's Where the Strings Come In CD/LP reissue

Out of print for years, Here's Where the Strings Come In has been remastered by Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering Company from the original 1/2″ reels, and will be available for the first time on 180 gram vinyl (with download coupon), and on CD newly packaged in LP-style cardboard sleeves. The heavy-duty vinyl jackets were re-printed at the original printing plant, Stoughton Printing Co, from the 1995 release. Both formats will also come with a download of exclusive bonus materials from the Superchunk vaults.

Caribou - Swim (Remixes) 12-inch

Originally released as a digital-only companion to Caribou's acclaimed 2010 release Swim, the Swim (Remixes) double A-side 12-inch features "Leave House (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix)" b/w "Jamelia (Gold Panda Remix)" as well as a code to download the entire 14-track release. Limited to 1000 and packaged in a European-style black sleeve, this 12-inch is a must for DJs and Caribou fans alike!

Polvo - Celebrate the New Dark Age 12-inch - Autographed by original line-up!

Originally released in 2008, this re-issue of Polvo's guitar-twisting seven-song EP on limited-edition 180-gram vinyl is a Merge hallmark. Complete with great sleeve design by Independent Project Press, and a free download coupon. Exclusively for Record Store Day, a limited number of this vinyl EP have been autographed by the original 1994 Polvo line-up!

Superchunk / Coliseum - "Horror Business" b/w "Bullet" split 7-inch

Merge Records and Temporary Residence Limited have partnered to co-release “Horror Business” b/w “Bullet,” a limited-edition 7-inch of Misfits covers from Superchunk and Coliseum for April 16 – Record Store Day. Limited to 1,500 copies and available exclusively in record stores, the 7-inch cover was designed by Coliseum singer/guitarist Ryan Patterson, with a nod to the artwork from the Misfits’ Three Hits From Hell single. The 7-inch will be issued on three different colors of vinyl: Yellow w/ Black Splatter; Magenta w/ Black Splatter; and standard Black (500 copies of each).

More details on all the Merge releases:

Polvo - Celebrate the New Dark Age 12-inch - Autographed by original line-up!

Originally released in 2008, this re-issue of Polvo's guitar-twisting seven-song EP on limited-edition 180-gram vinyl is a Merge hallmark. Complete with great sleeve design by Independent Project Press, and a free download coupon. Exclusively for Record Store Day, a limited number of this vinyl EP have been autographed by the original 1994 Polvo line-up!

This is the one Merge release I don't get. A "limited number" have been autographed, which is cool. But you can still buy this online since it was recently re-issued in an edition of 3000:

https://www.auralexploits.com/product09_6071.htm

Weird. Not like Merge to do an extra cash grab.

Yeah, a guy whining about how he has to own both regular and colored versions of the same items.... and pay for them!!!!

Coming soon, the dietary cost and effort into eating your own ass.

Ummm....I think you missed the point. He is not stating that he *has* to own the items, he was showing that if you were a fan of Mastodon, Flaming Lips and Jimmy Eat World and wanted all of the releases, you are going to likely have to pay a pretty penny and that is *before* you even buy the other items for RSD you may want....

Does the average consumer really have over $500 to drop on RSD?

Yeah, a guy whining about how he has to own both regular and colored versions of the same items.... and pay for them!!!!

I agree with many of the points, thought he is blowing the cost out of proportion by being a variant collector. If you get into variants, you should know full well where any of your free cash is going...

Ummm....I think you missed the point. He is not stating that he *has* to own the items, he was showing that if you were a fan of Mastodon, Flaming Lips and Jimmy Eat World and wanted all of the releases, you are going to likely have to pay a pretty penny and that is *before* you even buy the other items for RSD you may want....

Does the average consumer really have over $500 to drop on RSD?

Remove the variants:

So here are my Warner Bros. RSD PURCHASES SO FAR:

1) Heady Nuggs Black Vinyl Box: $125 (doesn't include tax)

2) Heady Nuggs Colored Vinyl Box plus shipping: $140

3) Mastodon Live at Aragon 2LP $45 (doesn't include tax)

4) Mastodon/ZZTop Just Got Paid Yellow Vinyl $8 (doesn't include tax)

5) Mastodon/ZZTop Just Got Paid CLEAR Vinyl $125 [Ebay, doesn't include shipping]

6) Jimmy Eat World Bleed American 3LP Black Vinyl $55 (doesn't include tax)

7) Jimmy Eat World Bleed American 3LP Colored Vinyl $300 [Ebay, doesn't include shipping]

TOTAL: $798233 (not even counting tax and Ebay shipping costs)

Without the variants his total is drastically different.

It's still too much, but not so unreasonable

The longer this list gets the less interested I become. Couple that with No Idea not making HWM Live #6 an RSD release and I'm leaning towards sitting this one out. I haven't camped on a line of any sort since the Nets last made the NBA finals - that resulted in a huge disappointment and I can see some kid getting the one Touche Amore record I want ahead of me leaving me feeling the same way.

I have no problem with scarcity in variants but it 's one thing to ask people to hop on a pre-order in their living room, it's another to wait in a line on a total maybe. Of course this is right for some and wrong for others, I suppose I should be happier reaching this conclusion now instead of wasting my time later.

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/03/rsd11-number-of-releases-commentary.html

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have read this week (I didn't want to be too hyperbolic).

If it's too expensive for the consumers or the stores, they, respectively, won't buy it, and the demand for 300 record store releases will go down.

This whole "it's not fair because I want everything and I can't have it if they make 'everything' to much" is something I am sure we can all sympathize with, but it's nonsense when you step back and look at it.

Widen the scope of collection and it becomes absolutely absurd.

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/2011/03/rsd11-number-of-releases-commentary.html

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have read this week (I didn't want to be too hyperbolic).

If it's too expensive for the consumers or the stores, they, respectively, won't buy it, and the demand for 300 record store releases will go down.

This whole "it's not fair because I want everything and I can't have it if they make 'everything' to much" is something I am sure we can all sympathize with, but it's nonsense when you step back and look at it.

Widen the scope of collection and it becomes absolutely absurd.

You are totally right, the only reason things would get "worse" next year would be if in fact having this many releases WORKED... if it doesn't work, they will loose money *shrug*