Thrice Manchester Orchestra Split Question

I'm just saying that buying an extra for the sake of securing something that is out of your price range currently is absolutely no different than picking up an extra, flipping it, and putting that money toward an expensive OOP release.

It's totally AWESOME if you're willing to trade it to someone for a $30 record - that makes you a super rad person.  Otherwise, you're no different than lazylabrador...only they covet money more than records.

In the meantime, all you're doing is shafting someone who may actually want this record and could get it for the (outrageous) retail costs.

Thrice fans and Brand New fans are ABSOLUTELY insane.  That's really what needs to be said here.

I'm just saying that buying an extra for the sake of securing something that is out of your price range currently is absolutely no different than picking up an extra, flipping it, and putting that money toward an expensive OOP release.

It's totally AWESOME if you're willing to trade it to someone for a $30 record - that makes you a super rad person. Otherwise, you're no different than lazylabrador...only they covet money more than records.

In the meantime, all you're doing is shafting someone who may actually want this record and could get it for the (outrageous) retail costs.

Thrice fans and Brand New fans are ABSOLUTELY insane. That's really what needs to be said here.

not the same at all....

Yes, because I spend $10 on an in-print record and try to sell it for $50, hundreds of records at a time. Considering people said outright "I'll trade ____ for a copy of this!", that person obviously wants the record. How is that shafting someone? Especially when just about everyone said they didn't want it because of the price. Who's wore, the person trading it to another board member, or the person selling it for $200, not caring at all. I'd much rather trade it to someone who wants it than see it on eBay or someone's wall.

Yeesh. I'd have reservations about flipping if this was a long out-of-print album that meant something to people (ie the As Cities Burn LP), but this is a 2 cover song split 12". It's a collection filler. It's not a significant release by any stretch of the imagination, the Thrice song was a free online giveaway in a sweepstakes entry (and I just listened to it, it's the most boring, by-the-numbers Beatles cover I've ever heard. And I saw Across the Universe.)

There's been a sharp uptick in talking about this board as a "community", but confusingly, it seems to mostly get used to mean "place where people preorder extra copies of records for each other". Flippers* are demonized as "enemies of the community" because they do what they want with the records they buy, instead of being "solid dudes" and "hooking a fellow board member up at cost". But why the allegiance? So someone else posts on the same message board as you, I don't know 95% of you people personally outside of buying and selling records and I'm pretty sure the same holds true for you all as well. Commerce != community. And most of the time, we're talking about limited variants or tour singles or whatever being flipped, brand new records with new music on them that will probably be available on various formats (including standard vinyl) in the near future. There's no reason they should hold any extra intrinsic value beyond the value of the music itself, but the vitriolic rage I regularly read when an inevitable eBay link gets posted would make one think that someone kidnapped your dog.

All I'm saying is going after record flippers is like the shittiest moral crusade you could possibly go on. Instead, channel your energy in this manner: the next time you find yourself about to drop insane money on a /100 splatter pressing or a live 3 song 7" that will spend its life in a box, ask yourself whether joylessly buying endless copies of endless releases "to keep the collection going" is really about being a big fan of Band X or whether we've been conditioned to associate accumulating possessions with happiness. And maybe, just maybe, the flippers will eventually have no one to sell to.

*I should say, the only records I've flipped in my life are the 4 first press colors of Enema of the State. I made about $200, traded for some big wants, the album stayed in print for like a year over various pressings, and no one got hurt. Also, I sold my first press Deja Entendu, Is A Real Boy, and Heavens' Patent Pending on these boards for around $20 each back in 08, so you're damn right I'm going to try and make some money off this board for once.

At this point, I feel better about someone loving it enough to put it on their wall than I do having someone pick up multiple copies just to use it for their own gain, regardless of what their end game may be.  It just makes life more difficult for those who just want a copy to listen to - you're only exacerbating the problem here.

Yeesh. I'd have reservations about flipping if this was a long out-of-print album that meant something to people (ie the As Cities Burn LP), but this is a 2 cover song split 12". It's a collection filler. It's not a significant release by any stretch of the imagination, the Thrice song was a free online giveaway in a sweepstakes entry (and I just listened to it, it's the most boring, by-the-numbers Beatles cover I've ever heard. And I saw Across the Universe.)

There's been a sharp uptick in talking about this board as a "community", but confusingly, it seems to mostly get used to mean "place where people preorder extra copies of records for each other". Flippers* are demonized as "enemies of the community" because they do what they want with the records they buy, instead of being "solid dudes" and "hooking a fellow board member up at cost". But why the allegiance? So someone else posts on the same message board as you, I don't know 95% of you people personally outside of buying and selling records and I'm pretty sure the same holds true for you all as well. Commerce != community. And most of the time, we're talking about limited variants or tour singles or whatever being flipped, brand new records with new music on them that will probably be available on various formats (including standard vinyl) in the near future. There's no reason they should hold any extra intrinsic value beyond the value of the music itself, but the vitriolic rage I regularly read when an inevitable eBay link gets posted would make one think that someone kidnapped your dog.

All I'm saying is going after record flippers is like the shittiest moral crusade you could possibly go on. Instead, channel your energy in this manner: the next time you find yourself about to drop insane money on a /100 splatter pressing or a live 3 song 7" that will spend its life in a box, ask yourself whether joylessly buying endless copies of endless releases "to keep the collection going" is really about being a big fan of Band X or whether we've been conditioned to associate accumulating possessions with happiness. And maybe, just maybe, the flippers will eventually have no one to sell to.

*I should say, the only records I've flipped in my life are the 4 first press colors of Enema of the State. I made about $200, traded for some big wants, the album stayed in print for like a year over various pressings, and no one got hurt. Also, I sold my first press Deja Entendu, Is A Real Boy, and Heavens' Patent Pending on these boards for around $20 each back in 08, so you're damn right I'm going to try and make some money off this board for once.

To this point, I have made some pretty rad friends from this board by helping people find releases that they really want and vice versa, without anyone taking advantage of another person.

When you're not a dick, the universe has a way of evening things out a bit.

Also, LOLZ at you for referencing ACB as a "long out of print" album since it wasn't released until 3 weeks ago!

At this point, I feel better about someone loving it enough to put it on their wall than I do having someone pick up multiple copies just to use it for their own gain, regardless of what their end game may be. It just makes life more difficult for those who just want a copy to listen to - you're only exacerbating the problem here.

Okay. I'm the Devil and am taking poor Thrice fans' wall art away from them to give it to someone who will listen (more than likely) to it.

Sorry, not sorry.

And considering ACB went out of stock in like thirty minutes and many orders got cancelled, I think he's right in referencing it.

Guest tms2787

I was looking around Twitter and saw that someone asked Andy if there was a limit on how many you can order and he said "One per person" so that's a good thing. I am not sure I how I feel about it being almost $38 after shipping charges, if that's actually the price.

I am a huge Thrice fan - I saw them live 21 times, I have each of their studio albums on vinyl and CD (three copies of Vhiessu, having the original press since it came out and two copies of The Artist In The Ambulance repress) and I have most of the singles they released on CD and 7", as well as two copies of Dustin's Please Come Home. I did give up my pipe dream of having a full variant collection when they had almost ten colors of the repress of The Illusion Of Safety (and then thinking about how many colors of Beggars exist) but I'd say I'm a pretty hardcore fan but I just don't know if I can bring myself to drop that much on something when I had an MP3 of The Beatles cover for a few years and never enjoyed it. Frankly, I got sick of how much they covered The Beatles. But that's a different story. 

I also have been a fan of Manchester Orchestra for a long time, I am not nearly as Thrice as I'll never go "collection crazy" with them. And I don't dig O'Brother. It'd be cool to hear the No Doubt cover, which I am sure will undoubtedly end up online.

The cover looks cool, the clear record is nice. In the end, I'd love to have it in my Thrice collection but for $38? I don't know if it's worth it, especially since I can pay less for my girlfriend and I to go see Bad Books live. We'll see tomorrow.

ALSO! Were does Thrice stand with this? Obviously the band is on hiatus and Dustin is only worried about his Mars Hills shit but they haven't mentioned it once on Facebook or Twitter or anything and I am pretty sure I follow all four of the guys.

I was looking around Twitter and saw that someone asked Andy if there was a limit on how many you can order and he said "One per person" so that's a good thing.

GOOD, that negates this whole stupid argument.

I'll buy my one copy, everyone get's the same chances (even flippers, but whatever).

I'm glad I didn't miss this either, I can't believe it took me until just now to read this, I almost missed it!

Also, LULZ at all the talk of "People are stupid who want to flip this" and then shifting to "Imaflipthisshit."

Everyone is a hypocrite in some way. Nobody is going to pass up a buttload of money just because some internet people might get mad at you. If I missed this and someone was selling for triple price (assuming I wanted it that bad) I would suck it up and pay it. Thats just how it works, you win some, you lose some. I wouldnt blame them for charging a ton of money. You wouldnt expect people to sell Juturna for $15 when they know they can get $150... anyway, my point is that everyone says they wont flip this, but I know damn well that if it was selling for $100 on ebay half those people will do it too.

Everyone is a hypocrite in some way. Nobody is going to pass up a buttload of money just because some internet people might get mad at you. If I missed this and someone was selling for triple price (assuming I wanted it that bad) I would suck it up and pay it. Thats just how it works, you win some, you lose some. I wouldnt blame them for charging a ton of money. You wouldnt expect people to sell Juturna for $15 when they know they can get $150... anyway, my point is that everyone says they wont flip this, but I know damn well that if it was selling for $100 on ebay half those people will do it too.

I have no qualms here, its just funny to see the drastic change in peoples attitudes within the span of a couple pages. By all means, flip away, but I'm pretty sure these will be limited to one per person, which I think is the best way to do it.

the money does seem tempting, but I'm such a sucker for these bands that I don't think I would ever be able to part with it. Same with my Brand New stuff and everything else I bought at cost/ or for a steal that sells like hotcakes on ebay. 

that being said, I'm in for MO and Thrice! so it'll be somewhat more worth it kinda