Shit on bands here

Yup.

Train is a steam engine of shit. It blows my mind that they're so popular. Even for radio play, it's the most soul-less "whatever it takes for plays!" sound I've ever heard.

I love how fueledbyvinyl quoted themselves not once, not twice, but THREE times to apologize if they offended anybody.

Classic.

Edit: it was only twice.

I just want to apologize that I originally said that you quoted yourself three times when it was really only twice. I hope I didn't offend you

311 is like listening to an already shitty band and an even shittier rapper get run through the gears of large machinery and keep playing anyway.  People in my group of friends in high school loved them and I could not stand to listen to them. Also, I find Sublime similarly awful, but for different reasons.

I'm really not sure how I feel about Sublime, which might be weird because one of their records is on my wants list. I hate, hate, hate the song "Smoke Two Joints," and all the people I know (the band is crazy popular in my area for some reason) cite it as their favorite Sublime song. I don't mind weed - I don't smoke it, personally, but I don't care either way - but what I do hate is the "hey man, I smoke this much weed, look at me" mentality. So that song really gets to me.

That being said, they have some really fucking kickass songs. I know "Santeria" is a pretty popular one, but deservedly-so. I also love "5446 What's My Number/Ball and Chain" and "Seed" - fucking "Seed," dude. I remember playing Tony Hawk's Underground as a kid and setting it to only play "Seed," "Big Bang," "Separation of Church and Skate," that Bracket song, and the one with Tim from Operation Ivy. That game was the shit.

That is my long-winded defense of Sublime. 311, on the other hand, sucks. My local record store has had like five of their records in stock for about... five years now. Never been purchased as long as I've been going there.

311 is like listening to an already shitty band and an even shittier rapper get run through the gears of large machinery and keep playing anyway.  People in my group of friends in high school loved them and I could not stand to listen to them. Also, I find Sublime similarly awful, but for different reasons.

I'm really not sure how I feel about Sublime, which might be weird because one of their records is on my wants list. I hate, hate, hate the song "Smoke Two Joints," and all the people I know (the band is crazy popular in my area for some reason) cite it as their favorite Sublime song. I don't mind weed - I don't smoke it, personally, but I don't care either way - but what I do hate is the "hey man, I smoke this much weed, look at me" mentality. So that song really gets to me.

That being said, they have some really fucking kickass songs. I know "Santeria" is a pretty popular one, but deservedly-so. I also love "5446 What's My Number/Ball and Chain" and "Seed" - fucking "Seed," dude. I remember playing Tony Hawk's Underground as a kid and setting it to only play "Seed," "Big Bang," "Separation of Church and Skate," that Bracket song, and the one with Tim from Operation Ivy. That game was the shit.

That is my long-winded defense of Sublime. 311, on the other hand, sucks. My local record store has had like five of their records in stock for about... five years now. Never been purchased as long as I've been going there.

re: smoke 2 joints.

Are you in HS ?

i hate the song as well, because when I was in HS 5 years ago, it was exactly how you described as well.  I also don't smoke.  I bet if you smoked you wouldn't hate the song as much!

I'm only 22 now, and one of my closest friend groups smoke way too much but they don't ever ever talk about that song or put it on or anything.  Fun fact, it's actually a cover!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Two_Joints

re: smoke 2 joints.

Are you in HS ?

i hate the song as well, because when I was in HS 5 years ago, it was exactly how you described as well.  I also don't smoke.  I bet if you smoked you wouldn't hate the song as much!

I'm only 22 now, and one of my closest friend groups smoke way too much but they don't ever ever talk about that song or put it on or anything.  Fun fact, it's actually a cover!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Two_Joints

Yeah, I am in high school (but taking college courses, so I don't actually "attend" a high school anymore). 

I think even if I did smoke, I would still dislike the song. Maybe not as much, but I think I still would - I would never be the "in your face" sort of pot-smoker, if that makes any sense. That seems like the type of person who would love "Smoke Two Joints."

I didn't know it was a cover, though! Seems like Sublime did pretty well with those. "5446 What's My Number/Ball and Chain" is also a cover, but I've never heard the original version. 

Tony Hawk Underground was the shit. Probably the best soundtrack ever on a video game. Used to play firefight with my buddies for hours. Couldn't go head to head with me on any of the score based competitions cause it wasn't even close to competitive.

Other good tunes I can remember off hand -- rise against, deltron 3030, busdriver, assorted jellybeans, alkaline trio, the explosion.

I bought an Authority Zero cd cause I liked their song. It was terrible though (so I am actually shitting on a band in this post).

Tony Hawk Underground was the shit. Probably the best soundtrack ever on a video game. Used to play firefight with my buddies for hours. Couldn't go head to head with me on any of the score based competitions cause it wasn't even close to competitive.

Other good tunes I can remember off hand -- rise against, deltron 3030, busdriver, assorted jellybeans, alkaline trio, the explosion.

I bought an Authority Zero cd cause I liked their song. It was terrible though (so I am actually shitting on a band in this post).

I'm looking at the tracklist now... really solid stuff. Definitely agree with you, probably the best soundtrack on a game I've played. A few months ago I got out the old Gamecube and played through again, good shit. My friends and I did firefight as well, and free skate on the Manhattan level to see how long we could grind on those rings at the top of the skyscraper.

To fulfill my obligation to shit on a band: Not a big fan of Jane's Addiction, and they had a song on there. 

Agree with the above stating that 311 and Sublime are crap... Also I don't know what this fascination with Bob Marley is, but can't stop that crap at all. For some reason everyone I know idolizes that guy. I understand he is a huge influence, but his music is bogus!

Agree with the above stating that 311 and Sublime are crap... Also I don't know what this fascination with Bob Marley is, but can't stop that crap at all. For some reason everyone I know idolizes that guy. I understand he is a huge influence, but his music is bogus!

True Bob Marley is way way way overrated.

I cannot STAND to listen to Bob Marley and everyone always acts like I'm a monster. I fucking hate everything about Sublime. I smoked a shit ton of weed through college so I've heard at least a million stoned lectures about why both Bob Marley and Sublime are amazing.

One time I did acid and ended up in some apartment above a bar with a bunch of dudes "jamming" on Sublime songs. So instead of just regular terrible Sublime songs they were 20 minute jam covers. It was fucking hell and I had no idea how to get myself out of there and back home. One of them was wearing an Every Time I Die shirt and I told him he should know better.