MAN ADVICE

Rule #1: Don't seek this sort of advice from a special interest message board populated by undersexed 20 and 30-something dudes.

you must have missed the part where the advice worked

ry is right, it did work, BUT I just found out the man I am seeing is polyamorous. for those of you that don't know that means he doesn't believe in monogamy. that would've been nice to know before things got more serious, RIGHT????

ry is right, it did work, BUT I just found out the man I am seeing is polyamorous. for those of you that don't know that means he doesn't believe in monogamy. that would've been nice to know before things got more serious, RIGHT????

Sounds to me like he would just rather bang you while banging other chicks. That's just a fancy name for say I am a "bang whoever I want and not feel bad about it"ous.

you didnt find out the hard way, did you?

i'm curious to find out how you found out he's polyamorous. but sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. i found that out from one of my last girls i dated that pretty much swore me off women for a long time.

also in other news. i asked someone for their # and was rejected. luckily i played it all cool and didn't look too much like a fool. but most of all, thank you baby jesus no co-worker was in the vicinity (or ear shot) to see/hear it happen. it would been all over the store within minutes. my boss would have reamed my ass. maybe it was my "oh, it's a lady" leon phelps impersonation? hmmmm.

I've been there Derek.

The first girl went on hiatus to chase a particular dream. I waited but when she returned many months later she dated someone else. Heartbreaking. Years later she wanted to get back together and I told her I would put my heart in her hands ever again. We're still friends.

The second girl destroyed me. I traveled by bus 1500 miles at her request to find her with another guy. Trust me it was the worst. I slipped into a hotel in a strange city that night and slept in their gym for a couple days until I could get home. That one I never spoke to again.

The third girl was that one that I always wanted to be with but distance and circumstances didn't allow it despite a friendship of 7 years but little contact for the last three. 6+ years ago we randomly ran into each other on the street while I was passing through town. The flame reignited and we married a year later after she moved to be with me in the north.

What's my point? Love is hard and cruel but it does work out for us but rarely when we try to force it. It failed for the first two when I put so much effort and followed all the signs. The one that worked was one left with some space, luck and all those beautiful things that make for great stories.

I feel for you Derek. Stay strong, hang with friends, get out a bit, clear your head so you can think clearly.

i'm curious to find out how you found out he's polyamorous. but sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. i found that out from one of my last girls i dated that pretty much swore me off women for a long time.

he told me. He said he wanted me to know, but that he’s not looking for anyone else right now. I feel like it’s an insurance cop out for if he eventually wants to see other people. I just don’t really have time to put into this when it’s already becoming dramatic and I can pretty much foresee myself getting screwed over. I’m open minded to the whole thing but it’s not for me, if i’m dating someone, I should be enough to occupy their time.

I feel like I went through the same thing Derek. She put an end to it because in her words she needed to be single for once and not feel like she was dependant on a guy. In my situation, there really wasn't anything that could be done. This was like 8ish months ago and I've seen her off and on since then in a neutral capacity, and she still hasn't gotten into a relationship with anyone. So it could be a totally valid thing that your girl is going through.

Just saying, I've used the 'need to be single and find myself' excuse a few times when I just wasn't that into a guy. From what it sounds like she really loved you derek, so I don't know. But plain and simple if someone truly wants to be with you, they will no matter what they have to do, or sacrifice.

Derek, that's a huge huge bummer man, and I'm really sorry. Sadly, there isn't a lot you can do in a situation like this. The unfortunate thing is that you can never get inside somebody's head and know everything that is going on. At this point the only thing you can do is tend to yourself; enjoy times with great friends to keep your mind off of her. Whatever you do though, do not hang by a thread; she still needs to know how strong and independent you can be. So don't be the first to email or text, show her you can be fine without her.

I've tried to do the extravagant "take me back" gestures and they have worked before, but that was after a fight, not a situation so nearly amicable.

And as much as it sucks to hear, after my ex left, I've been comparing girls to her ever since. But i know I will eventually stop this, as you will also.