Recently Viewing

Saw Spiderman2 yesterday. I really enjoyed the first one but unfortunately, this one just didn't do anything for me. I think they miscast Electro. I couldn't take Jamie Foxx seriously.

they took electro too far into the caricature realm. overall though, I thought it was a solid movie. loved the peter/gwen story.

Had a few long flights last week, so I was able to watch some movies when I wasn't dozing off.

Blue Ruin - Really enjoyable revenge flick.  It was fairly slow, which I thought was refreshing compared to the constant action that a lot of revenge films seem to run on.

The Sacrament - For the most part I don't like 'found footage' movies, but this one was rad.  Ti West can do no wrong in my eyes.

Alexander The Last - Liked it, but didn't love it.  It might not have been in the right mood for it either.

I also rewatched Drinking Buddies and Computer Chess.  I liked both of them more with another viewing.  Especially Computer Chess, movie is far more enjoyable a second time.

Had a few long flights last week, so I was able to watch some movies when I wasn't dozing off.

The Sacrament - For the most part I don't like 'found footage' movies, but this one was rad.  Ti West can do no wrong in my eyes.

Fuck, I didn't know he has a new movie out. Gotta find this.

Watched A Field In England and Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones the other night.

A Field In England was such a mind-fuck but it was so good. Ben Wheatley might be my favorite director next to Lars Von Trier now. Everything he's done has been amazing.

And I was surprised at how good The Marked Ones was. Since the 4th Paranormal Activity sucked so bad it was a nice surprise.

Philomena - pretty sad little movie but I admit I'm a sucker for Judi Dench. Good film. 

Nebraska - I can't decide if I loved or hated this film. I will say this, the ending pays off in my book so I guess I tilt this towards a positive. 

Godzilla - Did I mention how this movie sucked. Here was my review: I thought I saw Godzilla in this movie for 13 seconds but then I passed out with the character and when I woke up he was gone. I found yet another huge path of destruction so I've been following it in hopes of finding the two hours I lost. 

Spring Breakers - I had low expectations going in but thought it would be a light hearted romp. Holy shit - what did I just watch? It was awful. I know a bunch of people that wanted to hail it as some sort of awesome commentary on the hedonistic tendencies of our society but it was just a bunch of gratuitous nudity, bad charicatures, cheap editing gimmicks and an ending that was plain stupid. Nope, didn't like it. 

Spring Breakers - I had low expectations going in but thought it would be a light hearted romp. Holy shit - what did I just watch? It was awful. I know a bunch of people that wanted to hail it as some sort of awesome commentary on the hedonistic tendencies of our society but it was just a bunch of gratuitous nudity, bad charicatures, cheap editing gimmicks and an ending that was plain stupid. Nope, didn't like it.

I think the problem with most people and this movie is that they were all going in expecting what you were expecting. Have you seen any of Harmony Korine's other films? If you had, then you should've known exactly what to expect.

Oh, and I watched Memento tonight for the first time. It was one of those movies that I've been wanting to see for the longest time but just never got around to it. Holy shit. Absolutely incredible.

Watched Oculus tonight, pretty meh if you ask me.

Watched this the other day and it was terrible. My girlfriend said "imagine if this was how it ended? That'd be some bullshit" and then a minute later the credits rolled. She called out everyone in the credits with a "Fuck you, [name]" until I turned it off.

Luckily we had just come home from seeing Xmen: Days of Future Past which was dope. I wasn't a fan of any of the other Xmen movies and downright hated 3 and the 2 Wolverine movies, but DOFP owned.

If anyone is into anime: I have been watching Knights of Sidonia (Sidonia no Kishi, in Japanese) and it's pretty awesome.

It's a new series based on the manga. 1 new episode is uploaded to sites like anime1.com and gogoanime.com each week after it airs in Japan. They post the raw (Japanese voice-over, no subs) version first and then post the JP VO w/ subs within a day/few days. Ouside of Japan that's the only way to watch it right now, but Netflix is doing a localization w/ english VO this summer.

I'm hoping they'll eventually do a NA blu-ray with options for both VOs and subs.

It's sort of a sci-fi dealing with orbital frames, so if your into stuff like Zone of the Enders, you might wanna give it a shot, but then it kind of flips that traditional Japanese space-robot trope on its head.

I just started orange is the new black. Not sure if I can get into this series. I tend to appreciate realistic situations which doesn't always make me a great tv viewer.

Also caught Dallas buyers club finally. Fantastic movie. The best from last year's awards IMO. Still have 12 years a slave to consider and to finish it up.

Cold In July - Saw this last night and it was excellent. Didn't know much about it going into it, and just wanted to see something. A couple plot holes, but easily one of my favorite movies so far this year. Kind of reminded me of Prisoners and Drive.

Maleficent - I thought it was absolutely terrible.

A Million Ways To Die In The West - I liked it, but I wanted more from it.