Recently Viewing

Finally watched The Wolf Of Wall Street. HOLY SHIT. Seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.

Woa, really? I liked it and all, but.. wow. I guess I just don't see what everyone else loves about it. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely entertaining, but also definitely not the best movie I've ever seen in my life.

Finally watched The Wolf Of Wall Street. HOLY SHIT. Seriously one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.

I thought it was great, it's Scorsese in full on fun mode.  I don't know how he made a 3 hour movie seem fast paced the entire time.  During most movies, I usually get a little stir crazy after about an hour and a half, but it kept me engaged the entire time.

Watched "Out of the Furnace" last night. It was decent. For the cast and director I was expecting a little bit more I think. Starts off pretty good, gets a bit predictable but the performances helped it along quite a bit.

Also watched "I, Frankenstein" to see if I could get through it. I didn't. Really fucking horrible. Straight up rip off of Underworld but instead of Vampires and Werewolves you have Gargoyles (Angels) and Demons waging a war and somehow Frankenstein's monster gets caught up in it because... who gives a shit. It was terrible. Also, making "Frankenstein" Aaron Eckhart with a few scars on his face is ridiculous. Making him a superhero like figure with crazy fighting skills is even more ridiculous.

Seriously?  This is the first bad thing I've heard said about the movie.  I for one am pretty excited for it.

Yes, it is laugh out loud bad from about 20 or 30 minutes in. There is a point where the main character says "but babies tasted the best!" in a complete serious/depressing sort of way.

It had the potential to be really good, but it's plain goofy.

edit: I would still see it if you were looking forward to seeing it. It's a poorly executed concept, but there are some pretty cool action sequences in there.

The Usual Suspects.

20 Years later it stands up. 

I enjoyed it the first time I saw it, and even though I had it mostly figured out by the end, there were still a couple clever things I didn't see coming. But rewatching knowing that

the whole thing is a lie

just kind of makes not that fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a movie binge the past few days.  Been thinking of starting a new show but cant seem to find something i want to commit the time to right now.  

Mud: Pretty entertaining.  The kid actors were great and has been on a string of good movies.  Glad he got all of the dumb rom coms out of his system for a while.

Creepshow 2:  Creepshow 1= Awesome.  Creepshow 2= pretty lame.

Dark Shadows:  The better of the Burton movies as of late.  added a level of comedy to it that was enjoyable.

Drinking Buddies:  Enjoyable.  Was not sure what to expect. The fact it was all improvised added a cool level.

The Grandmaster: For taking 10 years to make, this film had alot of short comings.  The fight scenes were cinematically great.  IP Man 1 & 2 were an all around better experience telling his story.

The Hunt: Tackles a subject that hasnt been covered yet.  Really would wonder how this would be handled if a student falsely accuses a teacher of inappropriate activities.  Really like Mads Mikkelsen.

Jack Reacher: Suffers from the too much story syndrome.  Could have trimmed 30 minutes and not skipped a beat.  Was highly enjoyable for me being from Pittsburgh and seeing all of the city.  They made it look great and did a good job of keeping things accurate to locals and cuts in scenes.

Prisoners: This movie had a real slow burn feel like True Detective did. Great acting and great story.  The long running time didn't really bother me or feel too bad, unlike the above mentioned Jack Reacher which was actually cheaper.

I think that was it...

Just watched Sluizer's The Vanishing and really liked it. It was extremely well crafted and had some interesting philosophical undertones about evil. 

I also watched Nebraska a week ago which was enjoyable. Will Forte's acting seemed a little off but Bruce Dern, the actor who plays his father, was really good. 

Watched life is beautiful. Not sure how I feel about it:

By no means a bad movie, I'm just wondering if it was good or great. All the witty pranks and schemes were really well done. Got a little hard to believe some of it towards the end of the concentration camp (like guido's son being picked up with the German kids and no one notices.

But I think my biggest gripe is the way Guido died. Was half expecting him to come out from behind that wall having wrestled the gun away from the nazi. He got out of every other jam...

Maybe it was realistic, but it fell short of dramatic. It was like they just took the main character in the back and shot him.

Think if that scene had been handled better (maybe actually showing him be shot), I would have called it great.

Creepshow 2 is the one with the sludge in the lake, right? That scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Yeah it is. That is the strongest of the 3 stories i think. The first one about the indians was realy bad and the story about the woman hitting the person with her car is good but the 30 minute segment on it gets very very repetitive