How into post rock are you? I have 15 must hear albums for you if you're interested / new(ish) to the genre.

I've dabbled in post-rock as well as shoegaze personally, as well as hosting a weekly radio show for a few years where I would incorporate it, but I haven't had the most time for the past couple years to really go looking for new music. I'd love any recommendations that you'd be willing to share

I've dabbled in post-rock as well as shoegaze personally, as well as hosting a weekly radio show for a few years where I would incorporate it, but I haven't had the most time for the past couple years to really go looking for new music. I'd love any recommendations that you'd be willing to share

Sheer - Uneasy

// TOP 15 POST-ROCK ALBUMS //

1. Caspian : Tertia // 2009

2. pg.lost : Key // 2012

3. Gifts From Enola : From Fathoms // 2009

4. If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky // 2009

5. This Will Destroy You : Young Mountain // 2006

6. Kokomo : Kokomo // 2013

7. Slint : Spiderland // 1991

8. té : ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Thus, the Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems) // 2012

9. Year Of No Light : Nord // 2006

10. Toe : The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety // 2005

11. *shels : Plains of The Purple Buffalo // 2011

12. Beware of Safety : Leaves/Scars // 2011

13. Earth : The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull // 2008

14. Toundra : II // 2009

15. Red Sparowes : At Soundless Dawn // 2005

This list only took me a bit cause I wasn't going strictly instrumental. If I were, it would have been a lot easier. There is so much good post-rock out there floating around that I had to sit down and consider a lot. I also had to pick my absolute favorite release per artist cause I didn't want to repeat any.

Honorable mentions:

God Is An Astronaut : All Is Violent, All Is Bright // 2005 (16th) *

Deadhorse : We Can Create Our Own World // 2010 (17th)

Giants : Old Stories // 2008 (18th) **

Mono : For My Parents // 2012

Jakob : Solace // 2006 ***

Glaciers : And The Sea Won The Battle // 2009

Set & Setting : Equanimity // 2013

Russian Circles : Station // 2008

Pelican : Australasia // 2003

Moving Mountains : Foreward // 2008

The Shaking Sensations : Start Stop Worrying // 2013

sleemakeswaves : ...And So We Destroyed Everything // 2013

◯ : Black Sea of Trees // 2012 ^

Shy, Low : Hiraeth // 2015

Oak : Not Afraid Anymore // 2012

* / ** / *** - Really weird to not have this in my top fifteen. Especially being that this and YATC were my gateway albums into post-rock. But I didn't want this turning into a 'gateway' list, so they dropped down a bit. I sadly don't listen to this album as much as I used to after there being a decade of other post-rock that's come out since then, in additional to 'new' stuff to me.

^ - I think this band / album is incredibly under-rated. If you haven't heard them, change that: https://o-music.band...-sea-of-trees-2

I can make you a Spotify playlist if that's easier.

// TOP 15 POST-ROCK ALBUMS //

1. Caspian : Tertia // 2009

2. pg.lost : Key // 2012

3. Gifts From Enola : From Fathoms // 2009

4. If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky // 2009

5. This Will Destroy You : Young Mountain // 2006

6. Kokomo : Kokomo // 2013

7. Slint : Spiderland // 1991

8. té : ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Thus, the Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems) // 2012

9. Year Of No Light : Nord // 2006

10. Toe : The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety // 2005

11. *shels : Plains of The Purple Buffalo // 2011

12. Beware of Safety : Leaves/Scars // 2011

13. Earth : The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull // 2008

14. Toundra : II // 2009

15. Red Sparowes : At Soundless Dawn // 2005

This list only took me a bit cause I wasn't going strictly instrumental. If I were, it would have been a lot easier. There is so much good post-rock out there floating around that I had to sit down and consider a lot. I also had to pick my absolute favorite release per artist cause I didn't want to repeat any.

Honorable mentions:

God Is An Astronaut : All Is Violent, All Is Bright // 2005 (16th) *

Deadhorse : We Can Create Our Own World // 2010 (17th)

Giants : Old Stories // 2008 (18th) **

Mono : For My Parents // 2012

Jakob : Solace // 2006 ***

Glaciers : And The Sea Won The Battle // 2009

Set & Setting : Equanimity // 2013

Russian Circles : Station // 2008

Pelican : Australasia // 2003

Moving Mountains : Foreward // 2008

The Shaking Sensations : Start Stop Worrying // 2013

sleemakeswaves : ...And So We Destroyed Everything // 2013

◯ : Black Sea of Trees // 2012 ^

Shy, Low : Hiraeth // 2015

Oak : Not Afraid Anymore // 2012

* / ** / *** - Really weird to not have this in my top fifteen. Especially being that this and YATC were my gateway albums into post-rock. But I didn't want this turning into a 'gateway' list, so they dropped down a bit. I sadly don't listen to this album as much as I used to after there being a decade of other post-rock that's come out since then, in additional to 'new' stuff to me.

^ - I think this band / album is incredibly under-rated. If you haven't heard them, change that: https://o-music.band...-sea-of-trees-2

I can make you a Spotify playlist if that's easier.

So stoked for this, and wow! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that out (and especially so detailed). I've listened to a little less than half of those albums, but I think I'll just grab all the ones I can find and go through them this week to see what I love.

So stoked for this, and wow! Thank you for taking the time to write all of that out (and especially so detailed). I've listened to a little less than half of those albums, but I think I'll just grab all the ones I can find and go through them this week to see what I love.

Awesome. Let me know what you think, and I can give you more recommendations based off that. That list includes all post rock, so it can go from ambient, to shoe gaze, to post metal, and everything in between. So if you're into the lighter side, some of it may not be for you, which is fine. I can recommend a lot more of the non-post metal than I can in favor of it. So don't worry if you don't like some.

There are a lot of albums in your future. : )

I don't know how you feel about this Matt but I totally would want to switch Giants - They, The Undeserving for Old Stories. I love Old Stories. But They, The Undeserving really hits me a lot stronger.

They're both fantastic. I've just been listening to They a bit longer since it came out first. So it's more personal / nostalgia for me on that particular one.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic