@futurekills

I guess you could call selling things at market value gauging my peers, but that's not how I view it. So I know I am not going to change any of your minds on the topic of flipping but I have also never hid that I do sell some records. So here are my thoughts/justifications on it and you can read them to understand me, or just dislike me more:

1. I'm married, have a daughter, a mortgage and a decent job that pays the bills (but doesn't make me rich.) So with the income from our jobs we do not make enough money to buy the amount of records I like to get. I could get out of the hobby, I could budget down my spending, or I could find a way to make some extra money so that I can keep enjoying spinning records every night. Well as already stated I choose to "flip" and I have been very up front about it. I could make FS posts every couple months about how I spent too much or an emergency came up or what ever other excuse I see on threads, but I like to be proactive and put money in the account in advance instead of scrambling later.

2. I enjoy my records first, and sell second. I own thousands of records and spin them often, my daughter every night has me play her favorite songs on the jukebox. I have a site where I post about my favorite new music and am very vocal on various social media sites spreading the word. Of the records I own I do sell between 2-10 of them each month through discogs/amazon/ebay, I have the same name in all places and don't hide it. Almost everything I sell I had previously promoted and helped sales however I could. Take my 2 most recent sales: Pokemon bootleg record, I posted exactly where and how to buy it despite every other site hiding this info. IF you go to my site now you can still find this. Prior to that was The Maine's Forever Halloween, which was my favorite record of 2014. I told everyone to buy that record because it was amazing, and it sat in stock for months. During that time I bought a couple extra copies, some as presents and a few to sell.

3. As a kid who grew up in a baseball card shop, it's very obvious Records are like any other hobby. You get as much of what you like and can afford. You trade when you have doubles or when your friends can work out a deal. Some times you get a good deal, and then move it when it's hot. You have favorites that won't ever leave your procession regardless of it's worth. And you find people that collect differently than you, and instead of seeing your similarities you squabble over the small things instead of rejoicing that there are other like you out in the world. Because I know if try talking to my non-collector friends about this stuff, their eyes just glaze over.

@futurekills

I guess you could call selling things at market value gauging my peers, but that's not how I view it. So I know I am not going to change any of your minds on the topic of flipping but I have also never hid that I do sell some records. So here are my thoughts/justifications on it and you can read them to understand me, or just dislike me more:

1. I'm married, have a daughter, a mortgage and a decent job that pays the bills (but doesn't make me rich.) So with the income from our jobs we do not make enough money to buy the amount of records I like to get. I could get out of the hobby, I could budget down my spending, or I could find a way to make some extra money so that I can keep enjoying spinning records every night. Well as already stated I choose to "flip" and I have been very up front about it. I could make FS posts every couple months about how I spent too much or an emergency came up or what ever other excuse I see on threads, but I like to be proactive and put money in the account in advance instead of scrambling later.

2. I enjoy my records first, and sell second. I own thousands of records and spin them often, my daughter every night has me play her favorite songs on the jukebox. I have a site where I post about my favorite new music and am very vocal on various social media sites spreading the word. Of the records I own I do sell between 2-10 of them each month through discogs/amazon/ebay, I have the same name in all places and don't hide it. Almost everything I sell I had previously promoted and helped sales however I could. Take my 2 most recent sales: Pokemon bootleg record, I posted exactly where and how to buy it despite every other site hiding this info. IF you go to my site now you can still find this. Prior to that was The Maine's Forever Halloween, which was my favorite record of 2014. I told everyone to buy that record because it was amazing, and it sat in stock for months. During that time I bought a couple extra copies, some as presents and a few to sell.

3. As a kid who grew up in a baseball card shop, it's very obvious Records are like any other hobby. You get as much of what you like and can afford. You trade when you have doubles or when your friends can work out a deal. Some times you get a good deal, and then move it when it's hot. You have favorites that won't ever leave your procession regardless of it's worth. And you find people that collect differently than you, and instead of seeing your similarities you squabble over the small things instead of rejoicing that there are other like you out in the world. Because I know if try talking to my non-collector friends about this stuff, their eyes just glaze over.

yeah but... everybody has bills and everybody has to budget their hobbies. i work full time, but i also work a second job as a photographer which is very physical and very time consuming. most people who need extra funds get a second job. you're not the first person to have a baby.

selling your records isn't the problem, and the fact that you don't hide it isn't the problem (i dont understand why this is always brought up). its the marking it up so you don't have to do anything else to make money that's the problem. you're taking part in making the hobby a business which isn't cool. regardless of you growing up in a card shop. i used to collect cards too and i'm not trying to make a 200% profit on my rare records and i don't buy more than 1 with intent to sell at a higher price.

your excuses are the worst call for first world problems i think ive ever seen

yeah but... everybody has bills and everybody has to budget their hobbies. i work full time, but i also work a second job as a photographer which is very physical and very time consuming. most people who need extra funds get a second job. you're not the first person to have a baby.

selling your records isn't the problem, and the fact that you don't hide it isn't the problem (i dont understand why this is always brought up). its the marking it up so you don't have to do anything else to make money that's the problem. you're taking part in making the hobby a business which isn't cool. regardless of you growing up in a card shop. i used to collect cards too and i'm not trying to make a 200% profit on my rare records and i don't buy more than 1 with intent to sell at a higher price.

your excuses are the worst call for first world problems i think ive ever seen

So you take pictures for extra income. Was this a hobby first, that turned into a second job? Do you sell them at cost? Do you ever take extra pictures to try and make extra money? 

Collecting records for me was a hobby first, and yes I turned this into a "second job".  It's not working in a coal mine, but it's not always easy either.  I have traveled all over the country to buy records and spent hundreds of hours waiting in lines.  It's also not a perfect formula for making money as anyone can tell you prices can go down just as easily as they go up.  Records have always been a business, how many record shops around the world are there.  If no one was making money off it then no one would be making records.  There is easier / cheaper / better ways out there to get your music to your fans.

Since you collected cards too, if you opened up a pack of cards, and inside you found a card that was worth $200 but it was something you already had or didn't want.  Would you just keep it?  Would you sell / trade it?  If you did sell/trade it, did you do that for the cost of the $1 pack or did you try to get the Beckett price on it?  Of course the pack could be cards you wanted or you could have got cards that were all now worth less than the cost of the original pack.  There is no guarantee that what you bought will be worth more or less later.....do you get at all what I am saying here?

Since you collected cards too, if you opened up a pack of cards, and inside you found a card that was worth $200 but it was something you already had or didn't want.  Would you just keep it?  Would you sell / trade it?  If you did sell/trade it, did you do that for the cost of the $1 pack or did you try to get the Beckett price on it?  Of course the pack could be cards you wanted or you could have got cards that were all now worth less than the cost of the original pack.  There is no guarantee that what you bought will be worth more or less later.....do you get at all what I am saying here?

There is a huge difference between opening a pack of cards and getting a duplicate, and ordering 2 copies of the same record to flip one.

So you take pictures for extra income. Was this a hobby first, that turned into a second job? Do you sell them at cost? Do you ever take extra pictures to try and make extra money? 

Collecting records for me was a hobby first, and yes I turned this into a "second job".  It's not working in a coal mine, but it's not always easy either.  I have traveled all over the country to buy records and spent hundreds of hours waiting in lines.  It's also not a perfect formula for making money as anyone can tell you prices can go down just as easily as they go up.  Records have always been a business, how many record shops around the world are there.  If no one was making money off it then no one would be making records.  There is easier / cheaper / better ways out there to get your music to your fans.

lol do not try to compare my being a photographer to your selling records. i am a photographer by profession, i have a fine arts degree in photography and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on my education. there is no such thing as "selling at cost" or "taking extra photos to make extra money" it doesn't work that way. the only reason why its a second job because i am chronically ill and need a job with benefits which i cannot afford on my own as a small business owner. do you want to compare my medical bills to your marriage?

I don't care if he flips, he can do what he wants with his money. I'm just pointing out his analogy was way off. Do what you want, you don't need to justify it to me. Do I like flippers? No, but it's part of the game with the wonderful capitalist attitude we have.

I personally don't give a crap what you do with your money/records but you don't get to be the flipper and the victim. I have no issues with Ben personally but I dislike how it goes beyond playing devil's advocate, and goes into tearing down other users,  or discrediting or brushing them off for legit complaints about things they have opposing views on in threads (ETR, Spacelab, and the homework scamming debacle for example). Then the thread generally derails into everyone vs Ben

I don't care if he flips, he can do what he wants with his money. I'm just pointing out his analogy was way off. Do what you want, you don't need to justify it to me. Do I like flippers? No, but it's part of the game with the wonderful capitalist attitude we have.

The analogies were way off

tattoo_cute_sad_dolphin-e1311772784532.j

You've won this thread, sir.

@futurekills - I was simply trying to point out that what you do to make money, other people do as a hobby.  It works both ways. It doesn't make the people doing it for a living any better or worse than those who do it for a hobby.  And yes some people do it for a hobby and to make money.  No wrong in that.

@Thomas - Yes I know it's not a perfect analogy.  Maybe I should have went with Buying a card that a player gets hot a few years later and the value goes up on..I don't know.

@Young Thug & Agua - Hey let's have a discussion, instead of just down voting everything...

I dislike how it goes beyond playing devil's advocate, and goes into tearing down other users,  or discrediting or brushing them off for legit complaints about things they have opposing views on in threads (ETR, Spacelab, and the homework scamming debacle for example). 

Homework scam, I in no way defended this guy.  He ripped me off too.  I talked people through the process of how to handle paypal.  

Spacelab - I seriously have no idea that their are/were complaints with this label other than folks don't like picturediscs.

ETR - I agree with a lot of the complaints with the label, however I will still buy something from them if they release something I want.  

@futurekills - I was simply trying to point out that what you do to make money, other people do as a hobby.  It works both ways. It doesn't make the people doing it for a living any better or worse than those who do it for a hobby.  And yes some people do it for a hobby and to make money.  No wrong in that.

you're completely missing the point. people who do photo as a hobby don't have student loan debt from private art universities. similarly, you - a self proclaimed Record Seller who is trying to compare my educated profession to your hobby-turned-"business" - do not have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment in order to perform said "business" regardless of whether it is professional or a hobby. in order to shoot 1 wedding, i need to pay a second shooter, have at least two camera bodies (minimum of $3500 each, my most expensive body is $6000), and a multitude of high-end glass in lenses which range from $1200-$2500. what you need to sell records: a credit card with at least a $40 limit, a paypal account, and an ebay account. my point: your comparison fails.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic