I think you guys are kind of missing the point of the floating platter. Part of what they're trying to reduce is noise transfer from the tt's motor itself. Is it a perfect idea? Nope. But at least they're trying something with actual merit rather than doing something that is strictly for visual aesthetics.

Also:

Rez, who the fuck is bumping your table so hard/at all? Tell them to quit that shit.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I think you guys are kind of missing the point of the floating platter. Part of what they're trying to reduce is noise transfer from the tt's motor itself. Is it a perfect idea? Nope. But at least they're trying something with actual merit rather than doing something that is strictly for visual aesthetics.

Also:

Rez, who the fuck is bumping your table so hard/at all? Tell them to quit that shit.

what I'm saying is it's been done before, in fact the magnetic bearings go back to the 60s when Stanton  introduced them. They just have other pieces that don't give the floating visual. Here is a review of the Clearaudio one back dating back to 2008 http://www.dagogo.com/clearaudio-ceramic-magnetic-bearing-review

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It isn't a running issue, but anybody who isn't living alone faces a risk. Hell, even a dog. Looks pretty easy to knock off balance, which if it uses magnets would send the whole goddamn thing spinning and probably destroy the arm. Just looking at it stresses me out.

1 minute ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

This problem is easily solved with a $19 investment in a baby gate... Trust me, no pups allowed near my vinyl

That wasn't my point. The issue is that you are introducing risk that you don't really need to have when there are other options that solve it almost as well. Hell, Pro-Ject has a TT with an isolated motor IIRC too. It isn't completely silent or floating, but I'd much rather have that.

1 minute ago, Holo said:

That wasn't my point. The issue is that you are introducing risk that you don't really need to have when there are other options that solve it almost as well. Hell, Pro-Ject has a TT with an isolated motor IIRC too. It isn't completely silent or floating, but I'd much rather have that.

I pretty much thought from my first look at it that it was a product built for fashion over function anyhow, so I'm not investing much thought into the possibility I would ever invest in it.

Oh, I would never buy it at that price. Just saying that trying to solve a legitimate trouble makes it seem like less of a gimmick to me. Anyone in my home Knows better than to mess around in my record room, including the dog and cats.

Also, speaking of cats, my cat Charlie is the second cat featured in the new Lick Cats book. 

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Oh, I would never buy it at that price. Just saying that trying to solve a legitimate trouble makes it seem like less of a gimmick to me. Anyone in my home Knows better than to mess around in my record room, including the dog and cats.

Also, speaking of cats, my cat Charlie is the second cat featured in the new Lick Cats book. 

I see that you have a point, but just looking at it makes me nervous. It does look pretty cool though, just not something I'd want to own either.

6 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I'm taking my car in tonight to see why my check engine light is on, and to figure out the clunking in my front end. I'm scared to find out it's going to cost a ton :(.

take it to an Auto Zone where they check for free. that way you're not pressured by a mechanic for unwanted work - besides the clunking. 

3 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

it is worth noting this floating table is about $700 and the one I mentioned is far more expensive, but it just makes me feel uneasy looking at it http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Clearaudio-Emotion-SE-Turntable?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=CL7Tv8Hm7M8CFQkoaQodrRAG4w

Part of it too is that having bigass magnets like would have to be in that table right next to my electronics stresses me out too

11 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Anyone order anything from bestBuy.com and pick up in store? Walmart fucking sucks for that so hopefully tomorrow wOnt be a shit show...need some more horror movies!

Every time I buy something from Best Buy I order it for in store pickup. I'm in and out in like two minutes.

1 hour ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Awesome. Haven't been to a best buy in awhile so was wondering what to expect. Especially when having To drag kids around

Another plus side to ordering online and picking up in store is you can get cash back through sites like Ebates too.

This is entirely random, but I really feel for you guys when having to deal with shoe shopping. I've been on the hunt for hours for shoes for my somewhat particular dude, and holy wah, most are either ugly as sin or way too expensive.

It is appallingly difficult to buy real leather shoes for less than 200 without the soles being atrocious, and having even an ounce of aesthetic design. And fuck all if you can skate in them. 

/endrant

6 hours ago, chkadea said:

This is entirely random, but I really feel for you guys when having to deal with shoe shopping. I've been on the hunt for hours for shoes for my somewhat particular dude, and holy wah, most are either ugly as sin or way too expensive.

It is appallingly difficult to buy real leather shoes for less than 200 without the soles being atrocious, and having even an ounce of aesthetic design. And fuck all if you can skate in them. 

/endrant

you got a Nordstrom's or Bloomingdales I find department stores the best if you are looking for shoes of that nature. Times could have changed but I got some Havana Joe's for around $100 at Nordstrom's some years back. I just rock Clark's now

Had a short shift last night and they asked me to price 7" they had like 2 boxes and no one knows anything about them. So I grabbed a stack of stuff I thought might be worth looking up and found this gem https://www.discogs.com/Hannibal-Im-Alone-My-Kinda-Girl/release/2265717 

I think they might like me a little more now, I didn't know what it was I just saw the king label and knew it was worth looking up. There were some other valuable ones in the $15-50 range (Elvis, Jackie Wilson, Linda Ronstadt test pressing) but that takes the cake so far

11 hours ago, chkadea said:

/endrant

My girlfriend is buying me another pair of leather boots for my birthday and texted me like "Sorry to ruin the surprise but I've been researching for hours and it's god damn impossible to find good boots for you"

8 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Had a short shift last night and they asked me to price 7" they had like 2 boxes and no one knows anything about them. So I grabbed a stack of stuff I thought might be worth looking up and found this gem https://www.discogs.com/Hannibal-Im-Alone-My-Kinda-Girl/release/2265717 

I think they might like me a little more now, I didn't know what it was I just saw the king label and knew it was worth looking up. There were some other valuable ones in the $15-50 range (Elvis, Jackie Wilson, Linda Ronstadt test pressing) but that takes the cake so far.

Dope. Hannibal is great stuff. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic