No but the kids came over and did a glove light show to some Christmas dubstep for our christmas party a few months ago.

mexican families can be either shitty to live next too, or awesome as fuck. we use to have some illegals that lived next to us (10 in a 2 bedroom apt). they were considerate and always brought us food when the wives would make too much. xmas we got a tin of cookies and some tamales. one of them changed the oil on my roommates car for a 12 pack. dudes once did a whole engine rebuild over a weekend, while bbq'ing no less. 

Fair warning. I'm about to complain a lot. 

The Terrible Sellers thread inspired this but I didn't want to post to get it too off topic so I am posting it here. It is my number one fucking gripe, though you may not agree. 

I feel like we, for the most part, ended up here for the same reason. Namely, the pursuit of vinyl. I could give two fucks what you do with your records. Maybe you keep them all sealed. Maybe you frame them. Maybe you only buy black vinyl that you will spin a lot. Maybe you secretly collect variants but don't say so because people here are weird about it. Whatever. Collecting anything is a pretty irrational way to spend your money so I'm not going to judge. 

But, what grinds my gears is browsing the Sale thread an seeing prices WAY above cost. I don't have any sympathy for anyone selling a record at 1000% more than retail, but trying to avoid eBay fees. If you want to make bank on a record, do it, there are plenty of channels to do just that. If you want to sell it here, sell that shit cheap, to your amigos with the same end game. 

Over at fucking White Swirl you have dudes (or gals) posting shit at $130 and other dudes (or gals) COMMENDING them for the good price. What in the fucking fuck? Those are terrible fucking prices, they've just decided to drink the kool-aid.  I've sold a whole slew of records* here, every one of them at my cost. Most of which I went out of my way to purchase for folks on the board. If you aren't doing the same, well, fuck you I guess.

TL;DR Sell me your shit. But cheaper.

If you're curious, off the top of my head:

M83 - Hurry Up UO Exclusive x2

Bon Iver - Bon Iver - UO Exclusive x3

Grimes - Visions - UO Exclusive x2

Father John Misty - UO Exclusive

Rome 2xLP 

Big Three Kill My Baby Tri-Color

Vault Package 13

Vault Package 14

Incubus RSD releases x3

JTB - Hypnotic Nights on White

I posted almost the exact same thoughts, just not in so many words. I find this place to be like the used bins at a record store, only it's way better with a lot of new shit. So if somebody posts a record at "ebay prices" then that essentially sets the bar for that record. Don't do that shit people, like jefferson said, there are plenty of outlets to get your money. This isn't one of them.

So we can only sell crappy records here? It is going to be hard to find great deals here because for the most part people know the value of the record. Sure someone might be strapped for cash or willing to take a discount if you buy 5 records, but for the most part people want to get the most they can for a record.

If a record is being released at urban outfitters or hottopic or at a concert and someone doesn't live near there and you want to be a gentleman and pick up an extra to sell at cost that is sweet. But I'm not going to give away my collection for pennies so that you can bulk up your collection.

With that said I will usually give about a 20% discount from eBay prices when I sell on a message board. 10% of that comes from saved fees and 10% comes from saved hassle of dealing with crooks and deadbeats. So if it normally goes for 100 I'd set the price at 80. I'm not going to sell it at $10 because that is what I bought it at 4 years ago.

So we can only sell crappy records here? It is going to be hard to find great deals here because for the most part people know the value of the record. Sure someone might be strapped for cash or willing to take a discount if you buy 5 records, but for the most part people want to get the most they can for a record.

If a record is being released at urban outfitters or hottopic or at a concert and someone doesn't live near there and you want to be a gentleman and pick up an extra to sell at cost that is sweet. But I'm not going to give away my collection for pennies so that you can bulk up your collection.

With that said I will usually give about a 20% discount from eBay prices when I sell on a message board. 10% of that comes from saved fees and 10% comes from saved hassle of dealing with crooks and deadbeats. So if it normally goes for 100 I'd set the price at 80. I'm not going to sell it at $10 because that is what I bought it at 4 years ago.

Not sure if you want a response, but to be polite my quick one is we disagree. 

Fair warning. I'm about to complain a lot. 

The Terrible Sellers thread inspired this but I didn't want to post to get it too off topic so I am posting it here. It is my number one fucking gripe, though you may not agree. 

I feel like we, for the most part, ended up here for the same reason. Namely, the pursuit of vinyl. I could give two fucks what you do with your records. Maybe you keep them all sealed. Maybe you frame them. Maybe you only buy black vinyl that you will spin a lot. Maybe you secretly collect variants but don't say so because people here are weird about it. Whatever. Collecting anything is a pretty irrational way to spend your money so I'm not going to judge. 

But, what grinds my gears is browsing the Sale thread an seeing prices WAY above cost. I don't have any sympathy for anyone selling a record at 1000% more than retail, but trying to avoid eBay fees. If you want to make bank on a record, do it, there are plenty of channels to do just that. If you want to sell it here, sell that shit cheap, to your amigos with the same end game. 

Over at fucking White Swirl you have dudes (or gals) posting shit at $130 and other dudes (or gals) COMMENDING them for the good price. What in the fucking fuck? Those are terrible fucking prices, they've just decided to drink the kool-aid.  I've sold a whole slew of records* here, every one of them at my cost. Most of which I went out of my way to purchase for folks on the board. If you aren't doing the same, well, fuck you I guess.

TL;DR Sell me your shit. But cheaper.

I understand both points and probably fall in between both of your points.  This is a community and ideally we should work together for the benefit of all.  With that said it's irrational to sell a record that sells for $50 on ebay for the $12 you bought it for a few years back.  I haven't done much selling around here, mostly because I had no need to sell any of my records. 

Now I am looking at moving and all that jazz I'd like to sell off some of my records part to pay off debt and part to reduce the amount of crap I need to move.  Currently most of what I have sold are things that have minimal value so I've tried to get my money back.  Most items were posted at +/- 20% of what I bought them for.  When I start posting a few of the rarer records that I want to shed I'll start the thread with prices probably about 20% below ebay value. 

With that said if a user that posts around here all time and helps others out, or posts their sales threads at low prices, I'll be more than willing to accept an offer much lower than starting price.  If a user whose name I've never seen tries to offer a lowball offer, I'll more than likely pass.  Help those who help others.

Not sure if you want a response, but to be polite my quick one is we disagree. 

I'm not sure why you disagree. There is a market price for records and that is what they are going to be sold for. Here are a couple situations to make my point clearer.

Case #1 - I sell my copy of Floral Green on Floral Green for $20 on the vinyl collective board. The person who buys it is going to take the record to eBay and sell it for $80.

Case #2 - I receive a free Avett Brothers 7" with my purchase of the CD. Am I then supposed to give it away when I don't want it anymore?

Case #3 - I buy a rare scramz record in 2004 for $50. Everyone jumps off the scramz bandwagon and now I couldn't get $2 for it. Am I still supposed to sell it for $50 like I got it?

Case #4 - I buy a Chung King 5 years ago for $1K, I could sell it on eBay for $2k now. Am I supposed to sell it for $1K like when I bought it or $7 for what it cost when it was released?

This is pretty much what I am saying.

I know there are a few items that if I ever sold I'd contact a couple users first and give them a friendly discount, but I still wouldn't give it to them for the price I paid. They would still be real happy that they got it for much lower than market and I won't be too upset because I did get more back than I initially spent. That is a win win for the board.

I understand both points and probably fall in between both of your points.  This is a community and ideally we should work together for the benefit of all.  With that said it's irrational to sell a record that sells for $50 on ebay for the $12 you bought it for a few years back.  I haven't done much selling around here, mostly because I had no need to sell any of my records. 

Now I am looking at moving and all that jazz I'd like to sell off some of my records part to pay off debt and part to reduce the amount of crap I need to move.  Currently most of what I have sold are things that have minimal value so I've tried to get my money back.  Most items were posted at +/- 20% of what I bought them for.  When I start posting a few of the rarer records that I want to shed I'll start the thread with prices probably about 20% below ebay value. 

With that said if a user that posts around here all time and helps others out, or posts their sales threads at low prices, I'll be more than willing to accept an offer much lower than starting price.  If a user whose name I've never seen tries to offer a lowball offer, I'll more than likely pass.  Help those who help others.

That is pretty much what I am saying too. Not that stuff can't and shouldn't be sold to fuckwits, just that I'd like to see a little more of the community mentality is terms of sales. Our difference lies in what constitutes "much lower than market value" maybe. You threw out 20%, I'd say 75%. Again, depends on what, what and where. And we don't have to agree there (or anywhere really). 

It wasn't so much a position against the economics of the hobby.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic