I bet it does in the long run. I never do those kinda things on my own, I always find some way to fuck it all up.

Same Last time I replaced it I dropped and broke 2 bulbs trying to do it, before I finally fixed it. They don't give you much room to work with :/.

Where'd you go? My dad used to work and manage a large department (internet maybe? I don't remember) at a dealership and always commented on how badly the dealership's auto shop fucks you over.

A little shop I can see out my window from work. Just checked, since I could stop in on my way home.

I replaced my own headlights once and the list of things I know about cars is as follows:

Has wheels

Goes "vroom"

I've done it multiple times, it's just a huge pain, since they give you no room to work in. You have to take the battery out to even get a few extra inches of room to work in. I usually end up cutting my hand up pretty good.

[Religious BS]

The little that I've read, you have a good head on your shoulders about this.  Having come from a more modern (but still very strict) religious household/life growing up to now considering myself agnostic(-ish), a lot of what caused me to distance myself from organized religion was the very clear attitude that everyone was more concerned about you thinking the same way as them than they were about your personal well being.  This creates an environment where people just go through the motions to please those around them (and themselves).  Under these conditions people become self-righteous (I did the good things, therefore I am good) and self-deluded (I am righteous therefore my motives must be pure and in no way selfish).  People become blind to themselves and become capable of terrible things.

I've seen the most well meaning, kindest people do and say all the right things, have a sincere devotion to God/a book/moral system/however you view it, but then turn around and tear someone else's life to shreds (and their own in the process).  All due to the environment that organized religion creates.  If you try to talk about things you struggle with, that everyone struggles with, you're told that God/a book/moral system/however you view it, can "free" you from that.  As a result you feel that either you achieve/receive this magical freedom from your struggle, or you've failed/are a bad person.  But worse that than, an environment already exists that where you've been taught that if you do steps A, B, and C, you find joy/freedom/righteousness/whatever, regardless of what's going on in your own head/heart/spirit.  So what do you do?  You go through the motions.  The people around you praise you for doing so, and they tell you that you are now free from your struggle.  And you either a) believe them because it feels good, but the struggle still exists because you haven't actually dealt with the problem.  Or b.) you don't believe them because you know you haven't actually dealt with the problem, but pretend because it feels good.

This level of denial can reach a point where you are truly blind to yourself.  All of a sudden you are capable of terrible things under the guise of righteousness.

I could endlessly go on, but there's a little fodder for your paper ;)

To bring this all back round, continue to think critically, know yourself, and you'll be just fine.

The little that I've read, you have a good head on your shoulders about this.  Having come from a more modern (but still very strict) religious household/life growing up to now considering myself agnostic(-ish), a lot of what caused me to distance myself from organized religion was the very clear attitude that everyone was more concerned about you thinking the same way as them than they were about your personal well being.  This creates an environment where people just go through the motions to please those around them (and themselves).  Under these conditions people become self-righteous (I did the good things, therefore I am good) and self-deluded (I am righteous therefore my motives must be pure and in no way selfish).  People become blind to themselves and become capable of terrible things.

I've seen the most well meaning, kindest people do and say all the right things, have a sincere devotion to God/a book/moral system/however you view it, but then turn around and tear someone else's life to shreds (and their own in the process).  All due to the environment that organized religion creates.  If you try to talk about things you struggle with, that everyone struggles with, you're told that God/a book/moral system/however you view it, can "free" you from that.  As a result you feel that either you achieve/receive this magical freedom from your struggle, or you've failed/are a bad person.  But worse that than, an environment already exists that where you've been taught that if you do steps A, B, and C, you find joy/freedom/righteousness/whatever, regardless of what's going on in your own head/heart/spirit.  So what do you do?  You go through the motions.  The people around you praise you for doing so, and they tell you that you are now free from your struggle.  And you either a) believe them because it feels good, but the struggle still exists because you haven't actually dealt with the problem.  Or b.) you don't believe them because you know you haven't actually dealt with the problem, but pretend because it feels good.

This level of denial can reach a point where you are truly blind to yourself.  All of a sudden you are capable of terrible things under the guise of righteousness.

I could endlessly go on, but there's a little fodder for your paper ;)

To bring this all back round, continue to think critically, know yourself, and you'll be just fine.

I know a lot of people who disagree with it have a major beef with any kind of religion, but I don't. I don't know exactly what I think. There may be a god, there may not, but I don't give a fuck. If it is this god of love/mercy/forgiveness like everyone claims, then they wouldn't care what religion you are or what ceremony you regularly participate in, they'd care what kind of a person you are. I do my best to live as best I can. All I see with the catholic church in the lots of exposure I have had is sanctimonious bullshit like you outlined above. There are some great religious people, but they are few and far between. I also would argue that even without religion they'd be the same kind of person. As a book of philosophy, I have no beef with the bible, but I don't think it is anything more. I think organized religion is the issue due to how people behave, not religion/faith itself. What really gets me about the church/my school is how they just actively discourage critical thinking because they either can't explain something or have the world's most backass answer. If you can't explain your belief to me and back it up with logic or some kind of reasoning, you can fuck off, it's invalid. I dunno, I am just kinda fed up with dealing with all of it and I can't get away from it. I kinda snapped today for some reason and kinda needed to vent. Good to know that someone agrees with me a least though. I dunno, I'll figure myself and this shit out eventually. I am just sick of being dealt with here like I am fucking broken or something because I don't blindly buy into things and ask some tough questions.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic