morning friendssssss

can anyone help me with a wifi issue? maybe? please?

What's going on with your wifi?

We got 6-8 inches last night, but it is the super heavy fluffy stuff, so the roads were slushy but cleanish for the most part since it's easier to clean. My driveway is a mess, but I'm too lazy to clear that since it is going to be 55F on Friday, so the heat will take care of that. Almost had a panic attack driving in though, so now I'm all out of it :/.

Morning... did you try a power cycle?

I'm not sure.. what is a power cycle?

What's going on with your wifi?

Well, like I mentioned yesterday, we moved over the weekend. The router/modem for the internet is in my parents living room next to their computer. It's been there forever, and it reaches the entire house - including upstairs when I used to live at home and also in the mother/daughter section of the house that we moved into. Both of our TVs are connected to the wifi (we have 2 Rokus), both of our phones work, and my boyfriend's laptop works. The only device that doesn't seem to be working right is my mid-2011 MacBook Pro. When I open the diagnotics, the "Internet" and "Server" flash back and forth between yellow and red/failed every few minutes. Everything else is green (Wifi, Connection, IP, etc). I tried switching/resetting the location, clearing the saved wifi settings, switching the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and some other general use numbers, but nothing seems to be working. :(

I asked my dad to reboot the signal on his end but it didn't seem to do anything.

holy crap, thanks T3, needed that laugh this morning

Watch them all, they are all amazing.

Easily.

All are great though. "GIVE HIM THE STICK!! DONT GIVE HIM THE STICK!!"

I'm not sure.. what is a power cycle?

Well, like I mentioned yesterday, we moved over the weekend. The router/modem for the internet is in my parents living room next to their computer. It's been there forever, and it reaches the entire house - including upstairs when I used to live at home and also in the mother/daughter section of the house that we moved into. Both of our TVs are connected to the wifi (we have 2 Rokus), both of our phones work, and my boyfriend's laptop works. The only device that doesn't seem to be working right is my mid-2011 MacBook Pro. When I open the diagnotics, the "Internet" and "Server" flash back and forth between yellow and red/failed every few minutes. Everything else is green (Wifi, Connection, IP, etc). I tried switching/resetting the location, clearing the saved wifi settings, switching the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and some other general use numbers, but nothing seems to be working. :(

I asked my dad to reboot the signal on his end but it didn't seem to do anything.

Powercycling is unplugging the router and modem for about 15 seconds. Hmm, I don't know a lot about macs, but do they have anything ip flush command? Like /ipconfig release / renew in windows? Maybe try a static ip address and see if that works? Also try to hardwire it in, and see if it works, maybe they'll clear out whatever is confusing it.

Any idea Matt? I know you know more about macs than me.

Powercycling is unplugging the router and modem for about 15 seconds. Hmm, I don't know a lot about macs, but do they have anything ip flush command? Like /ipconfig release / renew in windows? Maybe try a static ip address and see if that works? Also try to hardwire it in, and see if it works, maybe they'll clear out whatever is confusing it.

Any idea Matt? I know you know more about macs than me.

Oh, ok. Yeah my Dad tried that yesterday. I might try it again when I go home today. Idk how long he left it unplugged for. I don't know about the IP flush command or any of those Windows commands. =\ I tried a static IP and it didn't make any difference. We also have no hookups for hardwiring, unfortunately. My Dad built the mother/daughter in 1999 for my grandmother who has never owned an internet-capable computer/device lol.

I guess I'll have to make an appt at the Apple Store. :( Thanks for your help tho!

School is cancelled today because of freezing rain, so I've got no school, but I also can't leave the house.

All schools are closed around here too, but it is from 6-8 inches of snow.

Oh, ok. Yeah my Dad tried that yesterday. I might try it again when I go home today. Idk how long he left it unplugged for. I don't know about the IP flush command or any of those Windows commands. =\ I tried a static IP and it didn't make any difference. We also have no hookups for hardwiring, unfortunately. My Dad built the mother/daughter in 1999 for my grandmother who has never owned an internet-capable computer/device lol.

I guess I'll have to make an appt at the Apple Store. :( Thanks for your help tho!

The commands look the same on mac. In your console type ipconfig -a. That will list all your devices, and eth1 should be your wifi, so make sure it is on. then do ipconfig release to flush it, and ipconfig renew to regrab info.

The commands look the same on mac. In your console type ipconfig -a. That will list all your devices, and eth1 should be your wifi, so make sure it is on. then do ipconfig release to flush it, and ipconfig renew to regrab info.

Thank you!! I'll just have to find the console lol. When I was researching some troubleshooting tips on my phone last night, someone said to logon to the router. Would this benefit me at all? Given I have no idea what or how to do it.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic