Listening to the first Esben & The Witch, it was like $5 from work after discount. I picked it up due to folks on these boards talking about them and the price, pretty good album. Kind of up my alley I get a shoegaze and post-rock vibe, but vocally reminds me of cocteau twins meets florence & the machine. I'm rescuing all the neglected records, found a rare Weatherbox ep a couple days ago too. Both had been sitting for like years

16 hours ago, chkadea said:

...and my fear of nipple rings grows ever stronger

I would honestly rather go through another genital piercing than to ever have my nipples done again. Probably the worst of my piercings pain wise, and this is from someone who had their tongue pierced with an 8 gauge needle...

Edited by GreatGreenOne77

57 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

I would honestly rather go through another genital piercing than to ever have my nipples done again. Probably the worst of my piercings pain wise, and this is from someone who had their tongue pierced with an 8 gauge needle...

I wouldn't want to do it again, but it wasn't that bad. I'd do it again if I lost one, I'd just be grumpy about it. Passing a kidney stone 9 years ago really upped my pain tolerance like a million percent.

Although, a friend of a friend's ex split the head of his penis with nothing but a bottle of whiskey, a razor blade, and a block of wood to bite down on....and just no.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I wouldn't want to do it again, but it wasn't that bad. I'd do it again if I lost one, I'd just be grumpy about it. Passing a kidney stone 9 years ago really upped my pain tolerance like a million percent.

Although, a friend of a friend's ex split the head of his penis with nothing but a bottle of whiskey, a razor blade, and a block of wood to bite down on....and just no.

For some reason I have always had a large pain threshold for pain, which screws me sometimes. Last year when I had that appendectomy, I had felt like shit the entire night before and had refused to go to the hospital at first because I was "convinced" it was just food poisoning, and when I finally agreed to go to the hospital, I was within moments of it bursting. Not sure if being hardheaded is part of that threshold lol

3 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Listening to the first Esben & The Witch, it was like $5 from work after discount. I picked it up due to folks on these boards talking about them and the price, pretty good album. Kind of up my alley I get a shoegaze and post-rock vibe, but vocally reminds me of cocteau twins meets florence & the machine. I'm rescuing all the neglected records, found a rare Weatherbox ep a couple days ago too. Both had been sitting for like years

I doubt it'll happen, but if you come across the Athletics album I need let me know :).

I've been meaning to check out Esben & The Witch too, just have not got around to it.

Just now, Thomas³ said:

I doubt it'll happen, but if you come across the Athletics album I need let me know :).

I've been meaning to check out Esben & The Witch too, just have not got around to it.

you got it if I see a copy ill be sure to let you know, and I think you might enjoy them. I'm going to listen to the new album today at work

26 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

For some reason I have always had a large pain threshold for pain, which screws me sometimes. Last year when I had that appendectomy, I had felt like shit the entire night before and had refused to go to the hospital at first because I was "convinced" it was just food poisoning, and when I finally agreed to go to the hospital, I was within moments of it bursting. Not sure if being hardheaded is part of that threshold lol

I used to have like the lowest pain tolerance. As a kid I would lose my mind and have panic attacks if I needed to get blood drawn. After several decades of life kicking me around now I'm just like "Eh, whatever" in the face of most physical pain.

I fucked up my neck pretty bad a couple months ago. This was an almost daily conversation with my girlfriend:

"My neck hurts so much when I do this *turns*"

"Well then don't do that..."

"...*look of confusion*...uh?"

"...if it hurts then don't do it"

"I don't understand"

3 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

"My neck hurts so much when I do this *turns*"

"Well then don't do that..."

"...*look of confusion*...uh?"

"...if it hurts then don't do it"

"I don't understand"

This is pretty much me too. I've had horrible stomach pain my entire life, and it's really build up my pain tolerance. I just kinda do whatever makes whatever is going on hurt, and people like at me like I'm crazy. It's kinda weird, because I don't enjoy the pain at all.

Edited by Thomas³

2 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

After several decades of life kicking me around now I'm just like "Eh, whatever" in the face of most physical pain.

This is me pretty much. Shitty thing about adopting this attitude we share is dangerously evident in the fact I lost 2 friends a few months apart some years back. One died from kidney failure, and the other from congestive heart failure. Both had preexisting issues, like I do, but were in that "fuck it, it'll go away" mind state too. Now I am sans two best friends, same age as I. Gives me this new urge to get checked out as often as possible now that I have insurance. I'm using that shit like a paid whore until it's gone lol

7 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

This is me pretty much. Shitty thing about adopting this attitude we share is dangerously evident in the fact I lost 2 friends a few months apart some years back. One died from kidney failure, and the other from congestive heart failure. Both had preexisting issues, like I do, but were in that "fuck it, it'll go away" mind state too. Now I am sans two best friends, same age as I. Gives me this new urge to get checked out as often as possible now that I have insurance. I'm using that shit like a paid whore until it's gone lol

I, too, ignore everything anymore. I'm sure one day it'll come back to get me.

And that's pretty terrible, that's too young for stuff like that to happen.

My pain tolerance really depends on the area, if that makes sense? If I eat shit while skating or doing something of my own accord - to the extent of broken bones or needing stitches - my reaction is usually to laugh it off because of adrenaline. However,  every time I burn or cut myself at work, it's hard to not focus on the pain the rest of the shift.

And fuck yes @Thomas³! Hope they play some of their older stuff for you ;)

27 minutes ago, chkadea said:

My pain tolerance really depends on the area, if that makes sense? If I eat shit while skating or doing something of my own accord - to the extent of broken bones or needing stitches - my reaction is usually to laugh it off because of adrenaline. However,  every time I burn or cut myself at work, it's hard to not focus on the pain the rest of the shift.

And fuck yes @Thomas³! Hope they play some of their older stuff for you ;)

I burned/cut myself so frequently at work it wasn't even funny. I just kinda got used to it. 

My reaction to cutting myself at work is to roll my eyes and go "really?" until the bleeding stops. My reaction to burning myself is to loudly and sharply shout a random string of 2-5 swear words and then apologize to everyone for yelling inappropriate shit.

At this point I'm just collecting scars. Just last year I've collected a handful that seem like they're gonna be permanent

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

My reaction to cutting myself at work is to roll my eyes and go "really?" until the bleeding stops. My reaction to burning myself is to loudly and sharply shout a random string of 2-5 swear words and then apologize to everyone for yelling inappropriate shit.

At this point I'm just collecting scars. Just last year I've collected a handful that seem like they're gonna be permanent

As much of a dick as my old boss could be, he had my ass there. One time I pulled a hot chicken parm dinner out of the oven (because he had lost the oven glove we had to use a wet rag to get it out) and the damn tray slipped off the wet rag, because yknow, wet, slick metal. I tried to catch it, which resulted in me bare handedly catching a metal plate fresh out of the oven and  most of the sizzling hot sauce with my arm. I still have a bit of a mark on my arm from it. Anyway, I yelled something to the effect of "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST FUCKING TRAY OW" from the edge of the kitchen where my station was as a reflex and the entire house had to have heard. Some angry lady with kids who were maaaaaybe two came up and yelled at him for hiring people who "thought ever speaking like that was okay". He's just like "Kid just fucking burned himself, nobody cares" and she fucks off.

He never had much business, but I am sure these A grade customer service skills had nothing to do with it :P

...and the time that a bigass roach fell out of the ceiling and into some old lady's salad. that probably didn't have anything to do with it either.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic