The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

maybe the preorders are taking so long because they're wrapping them up in the tissue paper that they instagrammed last week?

In their defense, they've only got a 5 man shipping team and a million backlogged releases to get out to people.

I feel bad for their shipping department, seems totally understaffed.

In their defense, they've only got a 5 man shipping team and a million backlogged releases to get out to people.

I feel bad for their shipping department, seems totally understaffed.

that's not a defense. they should hire more people if they don't have enough staff. it wouldn't be an excuse for any other company.

that's not a defense. they should hire more people if they don't have enough staff. it wouldn't be an excuse for any other company.

In the defense of the actual people who work in the shipping department, who likely do not have hiring authority. Thought that was made clear, my bad.

No, Mondo absolutely needs to either hire more people or put out a less aggressive release schedule (something you've heard me repeat many times if you've followed this thread for a while). It's painfully obvious they're understaffed in the shipping department.

I reminded them that they need to give their customers some sort of incentive for ordering through them. If we are gonna pay $7 for shipping, they either need to include an exclusive bonus or get us the records before retail outlets get them because amazon and amoeba are always free shipping and the same retail price as Mondo's online store.

I'll pay the extra $7 to guarantee my copy but if they're not getting copies shipped out and a cheaper alternative exists elsewhere, people are always going to try and save themselves some money.

Especially when a lot of stores were selling the ghibili vinyl at $20 and got it a week earlier, double whammy

Especially when a lot of stores were selling the ghibili vinyl at $20 and got it a week earlier, double whammy

People on here are gonna puke but Ill use this as an example anyways because this is a perfect recent (and fitting) example of successful preorder execution.

Phish just released a preorder for a CD boxset of an archived live concert. It was also given normal distribution to all the main retail players as well. The difference was that the preorder on their site (while a little more expensive with shipping and such) included a mini screen print commemorating the concert by artist David Welker. This gave people a reason to preorder specifically from them and pay the added shipping costs that amazon or amoeba drops.

Now you're telling me that Mondo couldn't maybe include a limited mini print or exclusive insert only available through their online store as an incentive for their customers? That's exactly the type of thing they do best.

Maybe they do like they did with the clear vinyl and Oblivion? Maybe they make sure to set the retail date far enough in advance to ensure that their online preorders get their OSTs first? Maybe run a preorder contest for a couple of their test pressings?

Bottom line is that there are a million things they can do to give their customers some kind of incentive to purchase through them. Hopefully they do realize this sooner than later. Otherwise i think they're gonna find that more and more people will just hold out for Amazon to save on shipping.

Very good points Timber. Mondo is handling this Halloween release poorly, just like some of it's previous releases this year(Ghibli, etc). They have a lot of room for improvement. 

Because of this, I just put in a ticket to cancel my 2 copies order. No reason to give them my money if I'm not getting the product before record stores get it. I might as well support my local record store and purchase it from them.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned before, but the fact that they released the normal edition first, before even announcing the splatter, was obviously done to make people buy the regular without knowing the other options. I know I wouldn't have bothered with the reg if I knew the splatter was coming out. This is such a blatant trick, it's pushing me to dislike Mondo more and more every new release they announce. I even decided to sell off part of my full variant color Mondo vinyl collection. Their business practice is just too shady for me to continue supporting them. No more buying 2 copies or even one copy of a release I'm not sure is worth it. 

So much for getting my order this week, with the short week for holidays. Very tempted to cancel as well. Local store just got theirs in. I ordered within the first 2 minutes this went up, although that means nothing, but makes it even more frustrating.

My order was placed before the Tweet went out. Another fair thing to do would be to pack in the order an order was placed.

Sending out single LP orders first has never made sense to me. I tried to talk to them about it once, saying something like "Would you ever consider shipping multiple item packages first, considering we paid more to your company?" the response was "how did you pay more? Everyone pays the same amount per lp"

So, the concept seems lost on them.

Sending out single LP orders first has never made sense to me. I tried to talk to them about it once, saying something like "Would you ever consider shipping multiple item packages first, considering we paid more to your company?" the response was "how did you pay more? Everyone pays the same amount per lp"

So, the concept seems lost on them.

It's in their company's best interests to ship out multiple vinyl orders first. Prints are different because those are non-refundable.

Would Mondo rather have to give out a $37 refund due to shipping delays or a $67 refund due to shipping delays? This is just common sense here.