THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141002068522

Just won this bad boy for $1.04.....

PUMPED

So update, I paid and waited about 2 weeks and never got a shipping update. So I figure obviously the dude isn't going to give in and just send me the item that I won fair and square.

I wouldn't have been mad if he had just refunded my payment immediately and explained he didn't want to sell it for that low, but instead he was just going to keep my $16 and not send it. 

I messaged him asking if he shipped it yet and he said "Sorry, pal. Not cool with selling that record for a buck." to which I responded "But you're cool with stealing $16 from me?"

Then he said he would refund me in a bit, and asked for my paypal address. I sent it to him thinking he would look up the payment I sent and just hit "Issue Refund" but instead he sent me a separate payment of $16 for goods or services (which i ended up paying a dollar fee on). So I refund his "payment" right away thinking he was going to try to scam me and file a paypal dispute for me not shipping the $16 imaginary item he "bought" from me. Messaged him again and told him to refund the original payment or send the money as a gift instead. 

Am I being paranoid here? This turned out to be quite the annoyance. What else can I do in the situation?

^^ this.  I am for wiggle room and talking any issues out, but you are being WAY to cool with this fool. Not only should you be dinging him with negative feedback, but you should be alerting ebay so they can do whatever they do as well.  Not that losing an 17 feedback account will wreck this guy, but there's a bit of principle to this as well....

Right, that's kinda my outlook on the whole thing. Put a reserve on it or raise the minimum bid if you're gonna be a baby about it. 

I've had plenty of instances where I've sold things on eBay for less than a fraction of what I expected, and I bit the bullet and sent it out anyway. I even ended up paying money out of pocket to ship somebody a hoodie once. Then of course when the tables are turned the guy refuses to ship it. 

As far as I can see it's pretty much the appeal of a $.99 auction, but with the security of a $90 auction. 

If you start the bidding at $.99 you're a lot more likely to attract potential buyers, watchers, etc. The downside is, your item might sell for $.99. 

If you start the bidding at $90, the downside is that you're likely to steer people away with the high starting price (even if they might have paid that much in the first place)

Solution: put a reserve on it. 

Although these days when I open an auction and it says "Reserve not met" I'll still probably avoid it. 

As far as I can see it's pretty much the appeal of a $.99 auction, but with the security of a $90 auction. 

If you start the bidding at $.99 you're a lot more likely to attract potential buyers, watchers, etc. The downside is, your item might sell for $.99. 

If you start the bidding at $90, the downside is that you're likely to steer people away with the high starting price (even if they might have paid that much in the first place)

Solution: put a reserve on it. 

Although these days when I open an auction and it says "Reserve not met" I'll still probably avoid it. 

The problem with that logic is that even if people come looking at your item it's not like you're making money on ads... ten people bid on an item and it ended at $51.00 your reserve of $90.00 is probably a little unrealistic. If I had known the reserve was $90 I never would have wasted my time looking at this item. Make it Buy-It-Now or start the bidding at $90 (and get 0 bids because thats ridiculous) but what good is a reserve? Is it for really popular items? I just don't see the merit of it.

If I had known the reserve was $90 I never would have wasted my time looking at this item.

That's exactly the point. The logic is that maybe over time you will realize that you want the item badly enough to bid $90 or even more on it, even though you might have initially been turned off by that price. I'm not saying that happens all the time, but it does happen.

In the end it was the sellers problem too cause I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra to list your item with a reserve.

That's exactly the point. The logic is that maybe over time you will realize that you want the item badly enough to bid $90 or even more on it, even though you might have initially been turned off by that price. I'm not saying that happens all the time, but it does happen.

In the end it was the sellers problem too cause I'm pretty sure you have to pay extra to list your item with a reserve.

Eh, okay. Thanks for the info!

I could see it working if the reserve was CLOSE to normal price. I mean I was highest bidder at 51 and saw I didn't meet reserve, so I tried to bid 60.10, thinking the reserve might be 60. So I suppose with a realistic reserve he could have made an extra ten bucks off of me. But with a reserve almost twice the normal selling price of an item... Nuts.

yeah, having a reserve costs $2 in fees.

i put a reserve on my TSSF test because i didnt want to lose money on them, my reserves are literally the price i paid from the labels when i bought them.

but i take the extra step and make it clear in the description what the reserve price is so anybody that is bidding knows how high theyd have to go.

also, lets say the guy was ok with $51 for his record, he could second chance offer you it. thats good too when it comes to winning an auction that has a reserve but the reserve not being met, so i dont think its a COMPLETE waste of time for you.

yeah, having a reserve costs $2 in fees.

i put a reserve on my TSSF test because i didnt want to lose money on them, my reserves are literally the price i paid from the labels when i bought them.

but i take the extra step and make it clear in the description what the reserve price is so anybody that is bidding knows how high theyd have to go.

also, lets say the guy was ok with $51 for his record, he could second chance offer you it. thats good too when it comes to winning an auction that has a reserve but the reserve not being met, so i dont think its a COMPLETE waste of time for you.

Well except I reached out to him and said "Hey man, just won your auction for $51 but it didn't meet your reserve. What was the reserve, maybe I can meet it, I'm very interested in this record!" to which he responded "$90."

So, it was a waste of time, but maybe just because this seller was un-moving and un-interested in selling below his imagined price.

Damn, forgot to check my watch list. This was a pretty good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171074900307?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like this dude is a new flipper that will soon be bitched about around here.

He's going to get screwed on some of that stuff.

so this is annoying as f(Ock.  What can you do about shill bidding (that, well I admit the proof is not solid, though IMO pretty damn tight).

This is a major ebay and discogs seller. digitalvinyl de.

On ebay of their 5000+ items, only 88 are actual auctions.  I put early bids on 4, and was the only bid on them for just under 2 days.

With-in about 20 minutes tonight they ALL got out bid. Ok, sure, not unusual, I bid low to start to just to have it on my radar.  The thing is of my four 3 were the same bidder, 1 one was a different bidder.  Both with under 20 feedback 13 for one 8 for the other.  A bit fishy, but still not so unusual...maybe.  

Checked all their other auctions. Of those with just one bid, almost all of them, with-in a half or so time, got new bids from around 5 or so accounts all under 20 feedback (one in the 40's).

Now granted this could be coincidence, but to me it screams shill bidding seeing as how it was ALL their 1 bid items, all from a few accounts with low (winning/feedback) use. All with-in a very short time period.

what do you think, I am being paranoid or does this not scream shill!? 

Think I should report to ebay for them to investigate? Would they even care or do anything?  I wish I could also call them out at discogs, but of course no name and shame there (plus, obviously, though shady, its independent of discogs...

Click on the only Auction tab to exclude their 5000 buy it nows and you can see how fishy their auctions are

http://www.ebay.de/sch/vinyldigital_de/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

it's frustrating.

I missed this a month ago. A guy had two up promo copies of this. One sold, the other didn't. I'd gladly take a promo copy over spending $25-60 for the official release:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lupe-Fiascos-LP-Food-and-Liquor-Promotional-Copy-Not-For-Sale-PR-302375-/171063863450?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Wv5PVJ5UiTDqxW4tLmeafl65nvs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc