No Hope; No God; No Likes

Derek™

Has anyone noticed a few members who have seemingly registered at VC just to Like posts? And very specific members' posts, at that? Any thoughts or comments on such? Am I imagining things? This guy comes to mind. Zero posts or contributions, and yet - in the three days he's been around - I can't help but notice how many Likes he's left. (And for one member, in particular.) Has VC truly succumbed to Like-boosting? Does anyone care? Are Likes officially serious business, with the need for a leaderboard? Can I fit any more questions into this paragraph?

It's funny; I just thought about the possibility of this going on earlier today and I just kinda assumed there are some folks in here with fake accounts bolstering ther own "likes" and giving themselves five stars. That I don't really care about. I'm just worried someone may do that same thing and apply it to their seller/buyer feedback and use that to scam people. But yeah, if someone is so insecure that Internet cool points mean enough to create a fake account just to give yourself those cool points, fuck it, enjoy 'em.

Yeah, exactly.  The concept seems so asinine that it boggles my mind, and even considering the possibility threw me for a loop.  I'd say that the same pool of 20 - 30 users frequently use the Like feature, so it's pretty obvious when you see a foreign username plastered across the bottom of certain posts in every thread.  Or maybe I'm just hopped up on caffeine.

I'm sure it's not too different than users registering multiple accounts at the old VC, for the sake of mass smiting and exalting.  The biggest difference is that we can unanimously agree that Karma didn't account for anything on the old boards... whereas there are a considerable amount of people monitoring VC's "most liked" members, posts, and so on.

It's laughable either way, to be sure.  And it doesn't require more than a moment's glance to determine whether or not your Likes are even legit to begin with.  But... having that big number next to your avatar must feel more satisfying than I'd presume.  I'm going to play it safe and write it off as a skewed, misconceived form of justification for anyone who socially struggled through high-school.

I can't figure out how to see what someone has liked. I obviously see "likes" on the left side of that guys page but it is blank.

Can we just campaign to have the IP address that messages are posted on included in every post? Like it would say "posted today, 12:30 am, ip xxx.xxx.xx.xx" That would pretty much solve so much stupid shit on here (some scammers, trolls, fake likes if people are actually retarded enough to go through the trouble). Mods?

Edit -- I always forge about the help forum.

I've heard the more likes that you receive on here, the more attractive and fun you are to be around in real life.  

I can tell you from experience that is not true. I'm as ugly as I am unpleasant.

It is, however, directly proportionate to the amount of boobs and butts you post.

I've heard the more likes that you receive on here, the more attractive and fun you are to be around in real life.  

It's true.  But I still feel about half as attractive and fun as you, Ronnie.  You handsome, thrilling son-of-a-bitch.

I can tell you from experience that is not true. I'm as ugly as I am unpleasant.

It is, however, directly proportionate to the amount of boobs and butts you post.

You win that, hands down. I still posted the single biggest ass, though (that isn't a photoshop or anything like that). That should count for something.

True. The amount of boobs and butts one has, or has access to, is directly proportional to the amount of positive attention one receives, so long as the butt does not exceed "x".

There is a good chance a Gone Wild economy will be the predominant economic system in a post-capatilist digital world.

You could be the next Hearst.

Sort of.

And for one member, in particular.

This one member would be me.

I thought it was someone trying to get me banned or removed. I logged on one day, and had 10+ likes from the same user on one forum. 

"But... having that big number next to your avatar must feel more satisfying than I'd presume.  I'm going to play it safe and write it off as a skewed, misconceived form of justification for anyone who socially struggled through high-school."

Nevertheless, I don't need likes nor do I want them displayed on my page.