Hot Topic being sold for 600 million dollars

I'm not sure what to think about it yet. I don't know who previously owned the company, but the buyers (Sycamore Partners) do seem to have a pretty big deal going right now (they own an apparel manufacturing company as well, which probably means some of the HT clothing/accessories will be manufactured there to reduce costs). I missed all the news on their purchase of Talbot's last year, but that chain seems to be doing pretty alright.

Also, if anyone owns any HT shares, Sycamore is offering $14 per share. I don't know anything about the stock market, but that's more than they were worth this past week.

Scene kids from the early 2000s are becoming moms now.

Gonna be weird to see young ladies in Nightmare Before Christmas hoodies breastfeeding their youngins inches away from me while I eagerly dig through beat copies of Matt Skiba And The Sekrets for the newest Joyce Manor record.

Is hot cash excluded on this purchase

According to the Associated Press Hot Cash is primarily paying for this deal, however Hot Topic stated all it's vinyl commodities must be paid for through other means of currency. Additionally the deal must be brokered during an active Hot Cash time frame.

From that article:

"Hot Topic also owns plus-size brand Torrid and is testing five lingerie stores called Blackheart."

Great. Angst-ridden scene goth chicks in skimpy lacey undies.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

I'm not sure what to think about it yet. I don't know who previously owned the company, but the buyers (Sycamore Partners) do seem to have a pretty big deal going right now (they own an apparel manufacturing company as well, which probably means some of the HT clothing/accessories will be manufactured there to reduce costs). I missed all the news on their purchase of Talbot's last year, but that chain seems to be doing pretty alright.

Also, if anyone owns any HT shares, Sycamore is offering $14 per share. I don't know anything about the stock market, but that's more than they were worth this past week.

You can get it for $13.84 right now but the time to buy is essentially gone 2 seconds after the announcement is made the way the market works today. And the announcement was made after-hours on March 6th, so by the time it opens on March 7th, the price is up.

It's a guaranteed, what, 1%? I have no idea how long it takes to get the money, though. Probably not worth it. I have other stuff I like with much more upside.

From that article:

"Hot Topic also owns plus-size brand Torrid and is testing five lingerie stores called Blackheart."

Great. Angst-ridden scene goth chicks in skimpy lacey undies.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

hey. even goth and scene kids need to get their sexy on.

More suicide girls! Everyone wins... Except their fathers. Who probably aren't present in their lives.

More suicide girls! Everyone wins... Except their fathers. Who probably aren't present in their lives.

This made me laugh. But yes, more SuicideGirls is never a bad thing!

However, I think the creepy goth girl thing is a thing of the past. Most girls who regularly shop at Hot Topic now are slutty scene girls with bright pink hair and flamboyant shirts. So I guess the Blackheart thing works in HT's favor.

Not that all girls with bright pink hair are band sluts. :P