PO: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Loving it so far. Completely different from everything Daft Punk has ever done... and yet completely Daft Punk. Nice trick there.

Also, it's easy to say "not as good as Discovery," but I remember *very* clearly how disappointed my friends and I were on first listen of Discovery back in 2001. A LOT of curveballs on that record ("Digital Love"??) that we didn't quite "get" right away. Lest we forget, everyone went in expecting Homework Part II and got something very different.

Not saying R.A.M. will hold up as well as Discovery, but it COULD.

Which is not something you could ever say about Human After All. Ooof.

Loving it so far. Completely different from everything Daft Punk has ever done... and yet completely Daft Punk. Nice trick there.

Also, it's easy to say "not as good as Discovery," but I remember *very* clearly how disappointed my friends and I were on first listen of Discovery back in 2001. A LOT of curveballs on that record ("Digital Love"??) that we didn't quite "get" right away. Lest we forget, everyone went in expecting Homework Part II and got something very different.

Not saying R.A.M. will hold up as well as Discovery, but it COULD.

Which is not something you could ever say about Human After All. Ooof.

digital love is the best.

how dare you "ooof" human after all?

looking through RAM's tracklist, and it's easy to say that i really like every track i've listened to twice. i think there are 3 or 4 songs that i've only heard the first time through, and they just haven't left an impression. but it's going to be very hard to pick a favorite here.

Sorry, but Human After All just has the sound of a band not caring. Basically every song is: One vocal, one sample, one beat, then repeat with no variation for 5+ minutes. Dance music is all about nuance and that album is lacking in a way Daft Punk never were before.

Hell, I LOVED "Robot Rock" (still do)... But after hearing the original Breakwater sample, I realized all DP did was find an obscure sample and loop it for 5 minutes. (And add a vocoder singing "Rock, robot rock" over and over.) Lazy.

All the Human After All tracks sounded infinitely better on the Alive 2007 album IMHO.

Daft Punk did exactly what they needed to do. Made an(other) EDM album with true staying-power. It's no Discovery, but that album is untouchable. They hyped this up like crazy with all those Creators Project interviews, but I personally am not let down at all. So happy about the final product. Album of the summer no doubt, and a natural shoe-in for AOTY.

EDIT: It's so close to not even being an EDM album. Disco fuckin' revival.

I didn't realize people were so crazy about Discovery, what do I know. I guess it is just hard for me to forgive the album that unleashed "One More Time" on the world. 

I like the new one better this morning than last night. Only song I really dislike is Touch. This will be in the running to oust The English Riviera as my favorite summer album. 

I didn't realize people were so crazy about Discovery, what do I know. I guess it is just hard for me to forgive the album that unleashed "One More Time" on the world. 

I like the new one better this morning than last night. Only song I really dislike is Touch. This will be in the running to oust The English Riviera as my favorite summer album. 

yeah, I'm with you. I'm a casual Daft Punk fan I guess, because I only really like Homework and the Tron score to-date, but this new one is tight. I even dig Touch, despite it's Andrew Lloyd Weber vibe... Motherboard and Georgio by Moroder are among the best things they've done.

yeah, I'm with you. I'm a casual Daft Punk fan I guess, because I only really like Homework and the Tron score to-date, but this new one is tight. I even dig Touch, despite it's Andrew Lloyd Weber vibe... Motherboard and Georgio by Moroder are among the best things they've done.

Worst thing right now is having to listen to the crappy stream rip while waiting for the vinyl to arrive. Id hope they release the 24 bit digital files too so Ive got something to store on the ol' laptop dedicated to my setup.

i'm on my fifth listen.

so deeply in love with Instant Crush right now.

as a whole, this album is lovely. the transition between tracks is delicate, precise, and fluid. 

When it comes to pitchfork and daft punk. They are retarded.

"Daft Punk seem to be operating under the premise that if you hear something enough times, you'll start to believe it. But after more than 15 listens to Discovery's first single and opening track, "One More Time," vocodered vocalist Romanthony doesn't have me "feeling the need," much less not waiting, celebrating, and dancing so free."

If you don't like house music. don't review it. I can almost guarantee pitchfork will give this album a good review because it is trendy to like dance music now.

"Daft Punk seem to be operating under the premise that if you hear something enough times, you'll start to believe it. But after more than 15 listens to Discovery's first single and opening track, "One More Time," vocodered vocalist Romanthony doesn't have me "feeling the need," much less not waiting, celebrating, and dancing so free."

If you don't like house music. don't review it. I can almost guarantee pitchfork will give this album a good review because it is trendy to like dance music now.

I dunno. That quote you pulled is about as accurate as any I've ever read. Reading through their reviews I actually think they've been pretty fair. 

That was just one review by one person. They recently put Discovery at #3 of their top 200 albums of 2000-2010. They also gave Alive 2007 and 8.5 and Musique Vol. 1 an 8.4. Get Lucky was tagged as Best New Music. They clearly don't hate Daft Punk; the album will get a high score because it's good.

Worst thing right now is having to listen to the crappy stream rip while waiting for the vinyl to arrive. Id hope they release the 24 bit digital files too so Ive got something to store on the ol' laptop dedicated to my setup.

http://www.qobuz.com/album/daft-punk-random-access-memories/0000020130520 <-- 24-bit is available