Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

If you are really just looking for something okay sounding that does not ruin your records, go buy cheapest options of pro-ject turntables and like 50 bucks amp used (with phono integrated, if not, pre-amp around 30$). Fuck speakers, take what you can get, it'll be fine to start with.

If you are really just looking for something okay sounding that does not ruin your records, go buy cheapest options of pro-ject turntables and like 50 bucks amp used (with phono integrated, if not, pre-amp around 30$). Fuck speakers, take what you can get, it'll be fine to start with.

Alright, do you mind pointing me in the right direction for these things? Just so I don't fuck up when looking around.

Edit: I just looked a pro-ject's stuff and it's all pretty expensive. Mind showing me what you're talking about? Or do you have suggestions for something a wee bit cheaper?

I thought that by "non-mediocre" you meant "above-mediocre", if not, my bad. :)

The thing is, if you're buying new, there's pretty much no step between a crosley and the setup I posted. Maybe this:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417561417&sr=8-1&keywords=atlp120

+

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417561436&sr=8-1&keywords=powered+speakers

In total $370. This is the cheapest you can go without buying an all-in one vinyl killer. Although my heart breaks recommending the above, because the difference from the first combination I posted (roughly $520) is night and day, but yeah, that's pretty much it when it comes to choices.

Or, again, you can gamble and buy vintage. I did that for my first setup, it worked okay for a while.

I thought that by "non-mediocre" you meant "above-mediocre", if not, my bad. :)

The thing is, if you're buying new, there's pretty much no step between a crosley and the setup I posted. Maybe this:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417561417&sr=8-1&keywords=atlp120

+

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417561436&sr=8-1&keywords=powered+speakers

In total $370. This is the cheapest you can go without buying an all-in one vinyl killer. Although my heart breaks recommending the above, because the difference from the first combination I posted (roughly $520) is night and day, but yeah, that's pretty much it when it comes to choices.

Or, again, you can gamble and buy vintage. I did that for my first setup, it worked okay for a while.

Wait, are you saying the first setup you posted (the $520) is a lot better? 

Edit: And if so, which one are you referring to?

Alright, do you mind pointing me in the right direction for these things? Just so I don't fuck up when looking around.

Edit: I just looked a pro-ject's stuff and it's all pretty expensive. Mind showing me what you're talking about? Or do you have suggestions for something a wee bit cheaper?

There are cheaper options of course, but I wouldn't recommend saving too much cash on this end. I cant drop names, just make sure the turntable has anti-skate and weight options for the tone arm. Without these features your records are going to be damaged. I can't tell for certain, but I guess you're not going to find an okay new tt for around 100$. You should check out the used market and see if you can find something that suits your needs. Just make sure the stuff mentioned above is featured.

For any and all questions take a look at the first side of this thread. You're most likely to find all your answers there.

Wait, are you saying the first setup you posted (the $520) is a lot better? 

Edit: And if so, which one are you referring to?

Yes, substantially. This lot:

I told this dude at least 3x in another thread to read this thread. And after about 5x more from people on here...

I'm going to guess he can't read.

How nice.

Anyway, you personally didn't link to the specific thread, also how was I supposed to guess this was the thread? The title doesn't exactly give it away. Especially for inexperienced people in this area like I am.

No hard feelings.

The main thing is that this is an expensive hobby. 5 new LPs today will cost you around $75-100. A decent set up is only around $300-400. Just don't buy LPs and save up for the turntable that will make them worth the cost they are.

I inherited a load of vinyl, so I'm set there for quite a while.

And yeah, I've sort of come to the conclusion I might as well just get a cheap ($400-$500) starter setup that will last quite a long time and introduce me to this hobby a bit more. No need for the pro stuff just yet. ;)

The only way to side step cost is to go vintage but here you need to have knowledge to know what you are buying isn't worn out.

The good news is that there is a lot of good secondhand equipment out there, it just takes patience, research and asking questions of people with the knowledge you need to work out how best to spend your money.

If you buy well and find it's not for you can get a good amount of your money back, but if you buy crap you can ruin your records and it will still be worthless crap that you can't get anything back for if you decide this isn't for you.

I don't know how many times I've said this but a decent turntable is an engineering masterpiece and unfortunately that costs, you are dealing with very tiny numbers both mechanically and electrically and that level of engineering has a cost.

With any analogue sound system there is mechanical contact with a perishable item which means there is a potential for damage

The major problem with all the cheap record wrecking crap that is on the market apart from the obvious is that vinyl has become a cash cow now and because of that companies that either don't know what they are doing or who should know better badge this crap and sell it on to people that don't know what they are buying. These things cost nothing to make with very very poor engineering and quality control but can be sold for $100 plus to people who find out too late what a steaming pile of dog turd they have spent their hard earned on.

it seems like whenever I talk with people about records these days and their turntable I say, "Hope it's not a Crosley" and it ALWAYS is! Then I feel a little bad because I have to explain to them that they bought a total piece of crap that is slowly destroying their records. Some take it well and some get upset with me. I am not anywhere near being an audiophile, I just get bummed thinking that I may inadvertently buy one of these records used someday that have been systematically fucked up by someone's shitty Crosley.

I was curious, on that little setup you posted. The $500 - do you think I could get by with just the Turntable and Speakers for now? And get the pre-amp a little later on.

Oh hey look. After all of this BS, he either STILL hasn't read the original post or he has some serious reading comprehension problems.

At this point, we should be less concerned with whether or not he gets his vinyl setup together and start worrying about how he's going to make it through life.

Oh hey look. After all of this BS, he either STILL hasn't read the original post or he has some serious reading comprehension problems.

At this point, we should be less concerned with whether or not he gets his vinyl setup together and start worrying about how he's going to make it through life.

To be fair, the OP states that some "budget" turntables have built-in preamps. It's not totally beyond reason for him to assume that the "budget" setup he was recommended could include one of those turntables.