Kanye West -Yeezus

Not quite sure how to respond to that. Makes no sense. I mean yeah there was a time when I didn't care about hip hop at all and I know a lot of people go into that phase but rather than staying exclusive it would make more sense that Kanye would open the floodgates to other sorts of hip hop.

That's what happened to me, I couldn't stand rap for the most part and then MBDTF came out. I saw the critical acclaim it was getting and gave it a listen, loved it, and now I love rap just as much as all the other crap that I listen to.

After listening to a a lot of Kanye over the past two days, including every album in order and Yeezus multiple times (courtesy of a lot of traveling for work), I have developed a wholly irrational Kanye/Brand New album arc comparison that won't leave my brain, insofar as:

College Dropout/Late Registration = Your Favorite Weapon - Really refined and exciting versions of things a lot of other people were doing.  Sound somewhat juvenile looking back.

Graduation = Deja Entendu - Most immediately accessible and generally popular albums.  A big step from the previous release, but doesn't seem as different looking back

(808s & Heartbreak = Fight Off Your Demons/The Untitled Album? - Not sure about his one, but both use a lot of electronic beats . . . )

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy = The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me - Most experimental and critically acclaimed albums.  Departure from the "safe" music pays off big time.

Yeezus = Daisy - Weirdest, most aggressively atonal albums and hardest to immediately like.  Turned off some fans of previous work and seen by some as lyrically inferior.

(Nowhere to put GOOD Music or Watch the Throne, unless there's a Kevin Devine/Jesse Lacey album out there somewhere.)

Cue mockery in 3, 2, 1 . . .