I understand why they would move to charging to play online. I would assume that they improve their online service due to this. However as someone who very rarely plays online it kinda of sucks. Even though $50 isn't much it seems like a waste to pay that to play the newest Call Of Duty online for a couple of weeks and that's it.

For people that are that much of a flight risk they have a 1 month and 3 month option at $10 and $25.

This is going to sound weird but I'm (maybe) pumped on the PS+ being a paid service. It that revenue helps their online offering match that of the Xbox I'll be stoked and might go PS only this console cycle. 

I agree 100%.  The crappy online service (compared to 360) kept me from ever playing the big 3rd party titles on my PS3 and kept me from really trying to enjoy 1st party online modes that seemed pretty fun (Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance).  If everyone paying $50-60 a year helps them to step their game up online I will gladly pay it.

Would it be safe to assume that if I pre order this through amazon, especially in the next few days, that I'll have it on my doorstep on launch day?  Otherwise waiting in-line isn't the end of the world if I hit up a Shopko or a K-mart, where there probably wouldn't be much of a hassle getting one.

Or your local mom and pop game store