Why do YOU collect Vinyl?

I'm always interested in hearing people's answers. If you collect a lot of contemporary vinyl, your answer surely isn't sound quality - because most albums are recorded digitally these days and sound, technically, better as files on your computer. Of course no one will argue the merits of classic vinyl sounding better, though.

Me, personally? Music is my life. I love talking music, listening to music, even thinking about music. I enjoy having a physical representation of the albums and bands that I love. CDs are cool but Vinyl is way cooler - the art is bigger, the inserts can be awesome, and seeing the disk spin on the turntable is fantastic to me. Especially colored vinyl. I'm a sucker for colored vinyl. 

Plus when I have friends over or when people want to know what kind of music I listen to, instead of just showing them the music on my iPhone, I can direct them to my vinyl bins and they can see a visual representation of my music taste, gorgeous artwork and all.

Finally, I like vinyl culture because it encourages people to LISTEN to the music. These days people have far too much music ADD and flip songs halfway through and skip through albums. With Vinyl, you need to listen to at least a full side of music, and then consciously flip it to the other side. It forces you to listen to songs you may not like as much off the bat, and then potentially grow to love them. 

So why have YOU gotten into this infectious and expensive hobby? 

I bought strictly CDs until about 2006 when I first discovered that a world of music is at your fingertips for free online (albeit not legal).

Anyway, after amassing a 20,000 song digital "collection", I slowly realized how much these artists and their music had influenced me for the better. I started buying records here and there at various shows I went to for the sole purpose of supporting the artists, even though I had no record player. 

I was hooked, and now I collect just to have a physical representation of the albums that have been so important to me. I want to be able to pull out a record and remember the exact show I bought it at, how fun it was, and how much the band blew me away. I want to be able to pull them out for my kids in 20 years and show them the kind of music that was around, and inspire them to bring music into their lives as well. 

I had too much blank wall space. And thought about buying art. But real art is too damn expensive. So I just got a few cheap frames from the $2 shop, and a bunch of records from the thrift store.

Instant wall art, and cheap as hell. And I get to change it all up seasonally. Perfect combo really

I had too much blank wall space. And thought about buying art. But real art is too damn expensive. So I just got a few cheap frames from the $2 shop, and a bunch of records from the thrift store.

Instant wall art, and cheap as hell. And I get to change it all up seasonally. Perfect combo really

Aw crap, here we go...

I'm always interested in hearing people's answers. If you collect a lot of contemporary vinyl, your answer surely isn't sound quality - because most albums are recorded digitally these days and sound, technically, better as files on your computer. Of course no one will argue the merits of classic vinyl sounding better, though.

Me, personally? Music is my life. I love talking music, listening to music, even thinking about music. I enjoy having a physical representation of the albums and bands that I love. CDs are cool but Vinyl is way cooler - the art is bigger, the inserts can be awesome, and seeing the disk spin on the turntable is fantastic to me. Especially colored vinyl. I'm a sucker for colored vinyl. 

Plus when I have friends over or when people want to know what kind of music I listen to, instead of just showing them the music on my iPhone, I can direct them to my vinyl bins and they can see a visual representation of my music taste, gorgeous artwork and all.

Finally, I like vinyl culture because it encourages people to LISTEN to the music. These days people have far too much music ADD and flip songs halfway through and skip through albums. With Vinyl, you need to listen to at least a full side of music, and then consciously flip it to the other side. It forces you to listen to songs you may not like as much off the bat, and then potentially grow to love them. 

So why have YOU gotten into this infectious and expensive hobby? 

Why isn't sound quality a reason???

I enjoy the sound of my records more than the same ones I own digitally or on CD.

Also, it's not like every single album has a 24 bit FLAC release....