Worship and Tribute packaging

Gunked up isn't a problem if you have a good cleaner. I'd be more concerned about it being warped.

Gunked up is why this thread exists! What's your secret cleaner? Nobody here has found a way to remove the crud.

As stated above we're fairly certain this is chemical damage and there is no way to "fix it".

I read elsewhere that someone tried that for this problem, and it didn't work. The problem is that the record is actually damaged, not that it has something sticking to it.

Hmmm I've been looking out to see if anyone tried it, and I haven't read it, just that some people were considering it. But I may have missed it. I'll take your word for it man. In that case it must be a chemical thing. I'm sure the severity of the damage's effect is dependent on the stylus used, and how low it rides in the groove. It may be noisy for one person and perfectly silent for another.

Bummer, but not all is lost.

About a year back, before I was aware of the pressing-wide issue, I bought a white copy off a seller or eBay and noticed that the damage created a very audible noise when played. Contacted the seller and they replaced my copy with another. Same damage, but a different side of the record and no noise when played.

I figure it's got something to do with the amount of time the vinyl has spent in the sleeve. Maybe the conditions where it's stored as well? It's a mystery!

Gunked up is why this thread exists! What's your secret cleaner? Nobody here has found a way to remove the crud.

As stated above we're fairly certain this is chemical damage and there is no way to "fix it".

I actually didn't even read through this thread.  Had no idea about the issue with this particular record.  I thought you were talking about just normal gunk from a new record.  I only posted the cheap price I saw on amazon on this thread because I didn't want to start a new one.  Now I'm really glad I didn't buy it, after reading through this sounds like a record I don't want in my collection (unless it gets reissued).

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind it's been sitting in the same sleeve. Chances are it's gonna be gunked up.

Just got home from being out of town for 3 weeks to an epic 25+ package mail day. The copy of W&T I ordered from the Amazon seller was inside, I already have one gunked up copy, but I figured I would give this a whirl and see what happens (with plans to give whichever sounds worse away as a Christmas gift).  To my surprise this copy has no gunk, pretty shocked.  It has some minor surface scratches that so far do not seem to affect playback.  Anybody else order one of those and have good luck?

Just got home from being out of town for 3 weeks to an epic 25+ package mail day. The copy of W&T I ordered from the Amazon seller was inside, I already have one gunked up copy, but I figured I would give this a whirl and see what happens (with plans to give whichever sounds worse away as a Christmas gift). To my surprise this copy has no gunk, pretty shocked. It has some minor surface scratches that so far do not seem to affect playback. Anybody else order one of those and have good luck?

Very lucky! I'd put it in a paper sleeve just in case!