why are people so opposed to "how much?" questions?

shamrocks

is it because they dont want to be seen as greedy?  LIke every FS thread has "dont ask me how much", "questions of how much will not be replied to".  I mean if you want to sell it and someone wants to know your price, whats the problem there?

at first i thought it was that sellers didnt want to sell themselves short (i.e. asking for $50 when someone might be prepared to pay $60), but almost everyone has a price in mind that they would sell something for.  why are people so against telling you that price?

I just think if you're trying to make the most money possible on something, put it on eBay, not VC.

I've asked people to make offers before if I'm just too lazy to find out what a fair price is for individual records (if it's a long list). I've also had people offer me way more than what something is worth and I'm just like "Nah man, it's not worth that much, I'll do a little less."

But setting a price ultimately attracts more customers from what I've seen on this site.

is it because they dont want to be seen as greedy?  LIke every FS thread has "dont ask me how much", "questions of how much will not be replied to".  I mean if you want to sell it and someone wants to know your price, whats the problem there?

at first i thought it was that sellers didnt want to sell themselves short (i.e. asking for $50 when someone might be prepared to pay $60), but almost everyone has a price in mind that they would sell something for.  why are people so against telling you that price?

"Don't ask me how much"= "Sensitive intimate seller"

it comes off as lazy, that's just my opinion.  there's multiple different ways for someone to find the value of the record.  the people that are doing this are even looking at the sites everyone else uses to determine the price.  most of the time these people are trying to just swindle as much money out of people.

i think it's really dumb. i do set sales or offers in my sale threads. but if someone asks me what i'm expecting instead of offering, i'll gladly tell them what i'm hoping to get. what's the big fucking deal? i guess it gives other sellers a reason to complain about "lowballers" when really they're expecting ebay prices. "no lowball offers" ... fuck off, tell us how much you want for it.

I always figured it's because they hope someone will offer way more than what they think/know is fair.

this. also, sellers who decline your offer and then do not counter-offer are shitty and annoying.

i recently offered a guy $40 for a 7" and he said he would feel bad charging me any more than $25 for it, so i know there are kind, reasonable people on this site. it's just hard to find them.

As stated above, I think it is all part of the barganing system. There are bound to be some people who are petty and will attempt to con others into overpaying. However, I think the vast majority of the time, people just don't know what to start at. Some people don't want to be offensive with offering too little, or asking for an amount that's too high. What I think it really boils down to is that people simply do not know what their vinyl is worth, or exactly what the vinyl they want is worth. Sellers definitely do not want to under-sell it. And of course, buyers do not want to over pay. So, they try to see what other person is thinking. That's my take haha

And I wouldn't necessarily say that the first person to offer a price is at a disadvantage. If you are someone who has done the research and know a good figure you are comfortable spending on a particular vinyl (or selling one for), just offer up that price and if the other person declines, just say that your offer was firm, and if they don't like the deal that is fine, respectfully disagree and move on. The worst thing is someone being pressured into a price that they are not comfortable with.

I just think there, could be a better way to deal with this....

Generally if someone says "No reply to how much mails" then this is plain stupid, either you know what your vinyl is worth and you reply with a not less than x response or you don't and then you reply with a make a good offer and we deal.

I understand that if you get 15 pms that all just want to know, how much for this, but where in the world does selling something mean that you don't have to put effort in if you want to sell your gear, and being rude about it is a bad way to start a deal.

Why not say that you accept offers in $5 increments and you will reply when a good price is reached?

But all this don't bother me with questions sends only a lazy, arrogant message and makes trading tedious.

what's more annoying is the "check my list and send me offers" messages... bad enough I need to price your records out for you, but then i have to send a bunch of messages to find out you are actually willing to sell 5 records out of your list of 500 and then I have to argue about a price...

I always figured it's because they hope someone will offer way more than what they think/know is fair.

This ^

I hope it works for people (honestly, I hope it doesn't) because unless it is something I really want, I won't bother making an offer. I find it generally offensive.

I've always hated the "make offer" bullshit because I've made such offers and had people not respond. Not ridiculous lowball offers either. Asking someone to make an offer if they initiate contact with you or because they posted a wanted list is reasonable.

I understand that some people don't want to post their possibly high prices in the actual thread, but if you are putting up a for sale post you should be able to give the buyer some sort of ballpark price if they pm you.

I've also found that many "make offer" and "don't ask how much or I will ignore you" sales threads are looking for ebay prices without the fees. The solution is to just pass.

what's more annoying is the "check my list and send me offers" messages... bad enough I need to price your records out for you, but then i have to send a bunch of messages to find out you are actually willing to sell 5 records out of your list of 500 and then I have to argue about a price...

yep, free appraisal service, not really intending on selling anything, but they may catch an ebaY offer. Really special ones, "Emergency! $xxx needed right now!" or some other pseudo- crisis in the title. 

but almost everyone has a price in mind that they would sell something for. 

This. That's the reason I get annoyed. You wouldn't be selling it unless you at least had some idea what it is worth. When people have prices on everything except for stuff that is really popular (I.E. Blink or Brand New) that is when you know they are trying to pull something off. You can't tell someone make me an offer but not a low ball offer that is basically saying you know what you want out of it. It is their product so they can do whatever but don't be upset when someone asks how much whenever you know how much you want for it.