Do any of you actually listen to the music you buy?

Guest crazybeats

Oh, okay.

i mean, i get it, the bashing can be tiresome but  it's not like this dude came here to start a reasonable discussion

Infact I don't even want any replies in this thread, I just had to get that off my chest and let you people know what I think and what I think is right, I'm always right so don't try and argue back at me because you know I'm right and I don't care what the excuses are

not in context of current previous posts (coz i didnt read three pages), i'm pretty sure multiple pressings and variants etc is what keeps labels and bands alive... to stop the flipping, the rarer records should be sold more expensive.. but that makes the flipping more expensive... a ring is round, it has no end

i'm for supporting the artist. thats why i buy music in multiple formats. i have vinyl at home, cd in the car, digital when i'm out walking around

Well come on then. You're in Slovenia, you must need to import a large percentage of your music so you obviously don't mind paying the high postage costs to your country on top of the already inflated price for the record. So tell me come on, come and tell daddy all about your hand numbered vinyl and your coloured vinyl and how they make you happy in a way that a good looking woman in your bed can't. Come and share the info.

dr-shaq.gif

i mean, i get it, the bashing can be tiresome but  it's not like this dude came here to start a reasonable discussion

This one just seemed to blow up really quick. I understand his point but the way he about it is what I don't agree with.

I tried to talk about Eminem (reasonably) which seems to be his problem, and he blew up at me. 

Guest crazybeats

And what would the intention be to DELIBERATELY tell customers that a release is limited, probably hand numbered or has different colour varients? I know what the reason, I know it's for people to collect and stick them on a shelf or in a box never to be opened. It's so those people can say oh no, i need to be 3 copies so i have one of each colour. I must spend my money on those pieces of PVC plastic, my life cannot be complete without them. I know the reason for it but I want you to tell me why you think it is done because IMO and it's not just my opinion, lots of labels do this, we don't need varients, we don't need hand numbering, we don't need to be told how many copies are pressed. It's all done to make money, a short term profit. The last intention is to give the listener any kind of real quality product, they aren't real music labels. They're just there to make a quick buck.

Guest crazybeats

First off it's variants.

Secondly, there are a lot of records people would prefer to have in a certain color to match the art and whatnot.

Also, these labels you are talking about are keeping certain records in print so there won't be unnecessary flipping on eBay.

Oh I'm sure they are and tell me, why can't they just press 6000 black vinyl rather than 2000 copies of 3 varients? Oh that's right because I'd say a good 500-1000 of those copies sold are by people who will buy all 3 colours! And as far as what people prefer and what they want, fans should never have a say in what they get. That's up to the labels not the fans. A black 12" LP priced at $10-$15 dollars isn't good enough, it needs to be coloured and retailed at $30 and then when the first batch sell out, which they will since the numbers are so tiny, they just introduce a new colour and a very large portion of people that bought it the first time round will buy it again and again and again..........that's why these labels are kept in business.

Guest crazybeats

Tell me something different then Jase. Come and tell me. Tell me the reason for it that doesn't involve the same customers, no no not customers, collectors..........collectors coming back time and time again? I'm interested to know. But of course you can't say anything Jase because you know I'm right so rather than insult me I suggest you take a time out and drink some OJ and watch some Home And Away on the telly. Don't try and think you can take me on and try and belittle me on here.

Oh I'm sure they are and tell me, why can't they just press 6000 black vinyl rather than 2000 copies of 3 varients? Oh that's right because I'd say a good 500-1000 of those copies sold are by people who will buy all 3 colours! And as far as what people prefer and what they want, fans should never have a say in what they get. That's up to the labels not the fans. A black 12" LP priced at $10-$15 dollars isn't good enough, it needs to be coloured and retailed at $30 and then when the first batch sell out, which they will since the numbers are so tiny, they just introduce a new colour and a very large portion of people that bought it the first time round will buy it again and again and again..........that's why these labels are kept in business.

So what you're saying is you'd rather all your favorite smaller labels press 1000 copies of each record they put out on black, sell a few hundred each, lose money on record after record, and close up shop within a few years? Got it. 

Guest crazybeats

If they knew what they were doing and they price it appropriately I don't see why those records couldn't be sold online,on tour, overseas even I'm sure there is lots of wholesalers who would take them off their hands. Really if any label is going to press ANYTHING on vinyl, you need to make sure it has an audience otherwise I can't see the point of getting anything pressed to vinyl. Infact I'd go as far as saying that if you can't gurantee you're gonna sell the records....don't bother paying to get them pressed. I'd rather that than 1000 copies made up of different colours which means collectors end up buying them.

If I was that artist, I'd rather sell 400 copies to genuine fans than 1000 copies where more end up in the hands of collectors who don't care what my name is or what my music sounded like, it's just another name to put to a list, another thing to add to the Discogs collection, another thing to brag about on here. I would rather that. Or at least press a small amount and if demand picked up press some more but that is the thing with small labels. They can't seem to do that. They like to talk numbers with the fans, they love to tell you over and over, it's like 9/11 every year on TV. They love reminding people of it. These labels love talking about numbers because numbers get people hyped and they buy things they don't necassarily need. Any smart label would press a small amount at first but if the demand was there they would keep doing it. They wouldn't announce a number before it went on sale and then stop it at that. They would keep going.

Tell me something different then Jase. Come and tell me. Tell me the reason for it that doesn't involve the same customers, no no not customers, collectors..........collectors coming back time and time again? I'm interested to know. But of course you can't say anything Jase because you know I'm right so rather than insult me I suggest you take a time out and drink some OJ and watch some Home And Away on the telly. Don't try and think you can take me on and try and belittle me on here.

There is no need to take you on. Because in your opinion, you speak for everyone's opinion. That makes you a fucking twat. You can't be reasoned with. It's pointless arguing with an idiot.

First they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

I say goodnight, get some rest and have this deleted when you wake up

Guest crazybeats

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

You can do that but I'm not like others out there. I'm gonna need over $100 dollars from you right now and I'll be speaking to you 5 or 6 times a year but don't worry it'll be unique. Rather than me hand numbering things for you and offering you special colours I'll just think of other things to make my time with you different cause I'm taking $100 off you right? You don't wanna get the same me that the rest are getting hell no.

Guest crazybeats

There is no need to take you on. Because in your opinion, you speak for everyone's opinion. That makes you a fucking twat. You can't be reasoned with. It's pointless arguing with an idiot.

First they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

I say goodnight, get some rest and have this deleted when you wake up

You got a big mouth on you. If you had anything valid to say you would have said it already but you know I'm right so you're doing the right thing by backing down to the bigger man, the real man. Why don't you go to your bed or go surfing in the ocean. Grown ups are talking son.

[whiney nonsense]

I'd love to live in your fantastic la-la-land of music, where musicians can live off their hopes, dreams, and a few bucks made from selling $10 LP's at basement shows (split four ways, of course). 

These variants that you think are terrible keep labels in business, allow bands the opportunity to continue making music, and keep fans interested in their work. The more vinyl there is in the world, the better - who gives a shit if some people want to buy it in three colors? You can just buy your black copy and be happy with it. Or, even better, if you don't support this practice, don't support the labels that do it.