Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/15/tortoise-the-catastrophist-exclusive-album-stream

The new Tortoise is streaming, going to check it after this side. There will be an indie exclusive (I think orange, I'm having trouble finding that page I read it on) in addition to the Turquoise variant

Whaa? From where? That's awesome!

My buddy did merch for them last night in LA at the Caspian show and was able to grab me two copies. He told them that Scars in one of my favorite post rock albums and they sold me two copies for super cheap. Grabbed one for me and one for Brian.

I do like their debut – enough to own it – but for whatever reason it's just never really clicked for me. I was super neutral on IV for the longest time, too, but the last few listens have treated me really well.

I agree, as it took me a couple plays over a few months to really start appreciating IV. It grew on me a lot. I kind of like it that way though. It helped me appreciate it even more than I would if I loved it out the gate, as odd as that sounds. II is by far my favorite, but I really need to listen to I more. III is damn solid. Need to get a copy of that from the group buy at some point. That black/clear mix would be rad.

I agree, as it took me a couple plays over a few months to really start appreciating IV. It grew on me a lot. I kind of like it that way though. It helped me appreciate it even more than I would if I loved it out the gate, as odd as that sounds. II is by far my favorite, but I really need to listen to I more. III is damn solid. Need to get a copy of that from the group buy at some point. That black/clear mix would be rad.

No joke, this is practically word-for-word what I would've written. My thoughts to a point. II is the one I always come back to, III is just through-and-through a solid post-rock record, IV was a grower, and I - from what I've heard of it - makes sense as their debut: some solid tracks that hinted at the band to come.

No joke, this is practically word-for-word what I would've written. My thoughts to a point. II is the one I always come back to, III is just through-and-through a solid post-rock record, IV was a grower, and I - from what I've heard of it - makes sense as their debut: some solid tracks that hinted at the band to come.

Yup. And Yup.

Let's group buy from a label we can get some Toundra stuff from next month for sure.

Just saw a new track was posted a couple of days ago. I'm going to finish Mantiis before I check it out. Apparently there's guest vocals on the new album from Garm and Attila. It's always welcome to hear Garm dipping back into some sort of metal.

Glad you dig! Yeah that new song is a banger. Can definitely tell already they aren't just redoing Mantiis.

Also, I found Mantiis on Discogs domestically for only $25ppd, so I finally snagged it. Grabbed the new one as well, but that ran about $38ppd with overseas shipping.

I do like their debut – enough to own it – but for whatever reason it's just never really clicked for me.  I was super neutral on IV for the longest time, too, but the last few listens have treated me really well.

Interesting, I'll make IV a priority this week. I mean, I already like it but I would be pumped if I liked it more. There is a brass instrument part that doesn't sit well with me and I've had a difficult time getting around that to really warm up to the record as a whole. Everytime that comes on, I just give a big eye roll to myself.  

i fell asleep before you sent that pic or else i wouldnt have been able to sleep from rage.

The Guide and everything is still ongoing, of course, Stevesies and I have joined forces and will resume shortly.

[100 Flex emojis] 

Speaking of, in the event you need to get a hold of me considering I check VC pretty erratically you can always hit me up through my email or telegram if you use it. edgedestroys@gmail / edgedestroys  

Just saw a new track was posted a couple of days ago. I'm going to finish Mantiis before I check it out. Apparently there's guest vocals on the new album from Garm and Attila. It's always welcome to hear Garm dipping back into some sort of metal.

This is really fucking good.  I REALLY love that middle section...  it kind of sounds like Lateralus-era Tool mixed with post-rock, before they break back into the blast beats for the final minute and a half.  

I wouldn't even know what to call these guys.  Probably blackgaze would be the most appropriate, overall general term.  

I've been listening to so much Kokomo lately though, trying to get used to this material.  Their new song fucking KILLS.  But "Epochs and Archives" is still probably their best song IMO.  That track....  wow.  

Still have the Toundra IV digital from a reviewer and gave it the full 10 listens. Looks like I'll have to revisit it now it's been a few months and from the much respected posters above.

My remote memory, IV is great prog-like concept - the Kitsune myth thing- but didn't pull it off as a start to finish like Genesis' Wind and Wuthering for example. The 1st half was postrock that never quite got there, but the finish was signature Toundra.  One more time to check my failing memory...

• jhulud locked this topic