Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I'll have to check the Brine one out, I'm not too familiar with that variant.  My favorite was always the /200 clear with green splatter.  Picked it up from Morfiend some months ago.  Previously I had been stuck with a bland black...  not sure which press though.  I have the remaster in the giant gatefold too, but I am not fond of the sound of that record.  I keep thinking I want to sell it, but I have a hard time coping with the idea of selling anything Isis haha

Woah, that brine is absolutely sick-looking.  I may have to track that down some day....   Matt, what was the one that you posted?  It looks very, very familiar.

On a similar note, musically.... I spun my copy of "In Abstraction" by A Hope For Home today.  This album is SO good.  They mix Isis with Rosetta and some other post-rock tendencies with a little bit of post-hardcore.  It's a neat mix, I like it a lot.  Spacey, heavy, trippy, crushing, and soaring.  

Here's a couple tunes to give you an idea of their sound:  

On 7/23/2016 at 8:26 AM, coreystevens88 said:

Brine is definitely my favorite LOOKING variant, no question.  Now I'm just looking for the best SOUNDING pressing.

There are a lot of good sounding pressings - seku could probably  tell you the BEST since he has 25 pressings, US and Euro

One thing I know: the RM Oceanic and Panopticon from RE, both had a lot of grit on one disc in each album. And they are translucent, not hazed records, leading me to believe that there was haze grit leftover from a previous run, and I got lucky with some of the first presses off the run.

So my RM have surface noise on one disc which is distracting :(

This one looks and sounds just fine, but again, I play the Clear/Clear that I got from Morfiend for cheap (he had the discs without a jacket, and RE was selling Oceanic jackets for $5 and sometimes using them as cushions, so I'm happy about that).

EDgngIT.jpg

Totally off-topic about Isis but I just have to interject....   this song does not ever fucking disappoint.  I cannot get over how incredible it is.  The pairing is perfect, really.... with Absence following.  It's all one big piece of music, flowing into one another.  But "Presence".... mannnnn, this song makes me feel like I'm going to burst inside.  That climax.... 

https://shylowmusic.bandcamp.com/track/presence

or

Edited by Gumbo72203

15 hours ago, drds89 said:

Binary Opposition is a nice EP, but for me (and I say it every time the album is mentioned), the bonus track Voyager owns the other 2 hands down. And saves the album from the dust bin.

It's so funny you say that, because I couldn't have a more opposite opinion.  Well...  I suppose I should clarify that.  Voyager doesn't pick up and really "get there" for me until that ending section.  It's certainly a fine song, and more in line with what they offered on Hiraeth, sort of, with the thumping bass grooves.  But "Presence" is it's own magnificent beast....  truly a perfect song for me.  It's linear ascent to that bombastic, emotional peak couldn't have been any more perfectly orchestrated.  The melodies they create in the early part of the song just hit me in such a way that not much else does.  And it all leads to that tear-jerking finale segment.  I could go on forever about this song.  

On a different note, my package from Elusive Sound came today with those /100 variants of Glasir's "Unborn" EP.  WOWWWW man.  Wow.  Worth every dollar, for me.  The vinyl is absolutely glorious to look at, and everything is so well-made packaging-wise.  And Philippe shipped them in poly-lined inners to save the printed-inner from seamsplits in transit.  First class, all the way.  

Pictures to come later when I have some time.... these guys are glorious!

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

It's so funny you say that, because I couldn't have a more opposite opinion.

Whew, finally our ears diverge ...that was getting scary! I guess you could say we're in binary opposition on this album ;)

Plus, I got to see them play this material live several times, before the Binary EP was fully formed into the final product, and vocals were prominent in most of their tracks (bassist peformed the vocals, and was excellent, as is their drummer). 

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

Whew, finally our ears diverge ...that was getting scary! I guess you could say we're in binary opposition on this album ;)

Plus, I got to see them play this material live several times, before the Binary EP was fully formed into the final product, and vocals were prominent in most of their tracks (bassist peformed the vocals, and was excellent, as is their drummer). 

I saw them so long ago they weren't even post rock.

Some were in Vessel, some were in Plagues of a Human Race. Both were shitty metalcore of sorts. Haha. All nice dudes though.

I took both of the first in Nov. 2007, then the second exactly one year later. Man, what a shit time for music, but perfectly matched with my shit photo skills zero - one year in before I knew any better. Haha.

PoaHR

Plagues of a Human Race

Vessel

Vessel Promo #2

Edited by Dave Grohl

14 hours ago, drds89 said:

Haha yeah man, Voyager just doesn't really do that much for me, but "Presence" is probably....  probably in my top 5 post-rock songs.  It gives me feelings that not many other songs do.  

When you saw them do this material, was "Presence" included?  I'm curious what kind of vocals would have been put over something like that.  

On 22.07.2016 at 6:55 PM, drds89 said:

Maciek, what does it mean to have 25 different pressings of one album? ;)

It may mean that owner of those pressings has some mental issues. It wouldn't be that bad, if he hadn't like 40 pressings of the other album (from the same band).

And..ok, let's stop here, Don :D

Back on track, I don't know if you've seen that - nicely filmed Rosetta gig from the current Euro tour:

2 hours ago, seku said:

Back on track, I don't know if you've seen that - nicely filmed Rosetta gig from the current Euro tour:

I was watching this last night!!!  Great sound, and it's nice seeing so many people freaking out.  The setlist is great, too, although missing some other heavy hitters like Lift and Je N'en Connais Pas Le Temps.  Which leads me to this FANTASTIC find I made last night ->  

Soundboard audio!!!!!!  Multi-camera shooting!  Listen to BJ's drums, man.  They sound so good.  

19 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Gates

Vasudeva 

Athletics 

Rare Futures 

Mercury Lounge | Sept. 3 | NYC

Oh yes.  Except Athletics is opening, apparently.  The venue site says they go on at 7.  I can't freaking wait, though.  Gates is doing a proper headline set, and playing stuff from every release.  I finally might get my "To Those Who Fell.....and to those who carried on" segment.  And I REALLY hope they play "Left Behind" from the new album.

On 7/26/2016 at 11:55 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I saw them so long ago they weren't even post rock.

Some were in Vessel, some were in Plagues of a Human Race. Both were shitty metalcore of sorts. Haha. All nice dudes though.

I took both of the first in Nov. 2007, then the second exactly one year later. Man, what a shit time for music, but perfectly matched with my shit photo skills zero - one year in before I knew any better. Haha.

Those are awesome pics, Matt, and you definitely win the 'way back' contest!

• jhulud locked this topic