Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

12 hours ago, drds89 said:

Man, I miss Rosetta live. Great videos above.

Yeah....  I only saw them once, at the poorly-attended Boston gig for the QE "tour".  I wish I had more time with the album for that show, because so many songs on it have become my favorites.  They were in such awful moods that night, though.  I really wanted to talk to Mike and Matt and express my thanks for making such transcendental music, but mannnnn did they want NOTHING to do with ANYBODY that night.  

On another note, are any of you guys hitting any of the God Is An Astronaut shows?  I'm torn between which to go to, Boston or NYC.  They're just about equal drives for me, but Boston is a Wed and NYC is a Sat.  I don't know which would give me the better odds of a better show, the first gig where they're fresh (but possibly jet-lagged and not warmed up) or the NYC gig which is the 4th straight day of gigging and travelling, but is also the last show of the USA tour and in NYC....  they could either be super tired and ready to go home, or absolutely pumped up and locked in.

I can't decide which to go to...  grrrr

On 7/28/2016 at 10:39 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah....  I only saw them once, at the poorly-attended Boston gig for the QE "tour".  I wish I had more time with the album for that show, because so many songs on it have become my favorites.  They were in such awful moods that night, though.  I really wanted to talk to Mike and Matt and express my thanks for making such transcendental music, but mannnnn did they want NOTHING to do with ANYBODY that night.  

On another note, are any of you guys hitting any of the God Is An Astronaut shows?  I'm torn between which to go to, Boston or NYC.  They're just about equal drives for me, but Boston is a Wed and NYC is a Sat.  I don't know which would give me the better odds of a better show, the first gig where they're fresh (but possibly jet-lagged and not warmed up) or the NYC gig which is the 4th straight day of gigging and travelling, but is also the last show of the USA tour and in NYC....  they could either be super tired and ready to go home, or absolutely pumped up and locked in.

I can't decide which to go to...  grrrr

Matt and Armine were probably having one of their little tiffs. Brain vs heart, ya know?

Never shy away from opening night with a seasoned band who has their live sound nailed down like GIAA, Caspian, RC, etc. You often get longer sets and/or an encore if the crowd is stoked. Good point about jet lag, but I think it will probably hit more on the way home losing time for them.

1 minute ago, drds89 said:

Matt and Armine were probably having one of their little tiffs. Brain vs heart, ya know?

Never shy away from opening night with a seasoned band who has their live sound nailed down like GIAA, Caspian, RC, etc. You often get longer sets and/or an encore if the crowd is stoked. Good point about jet lag, but I think it will probably hit more on the way home losing time for them.

It was more the whole band.... I briefly mentioned to their bass player how much I love his backing vocals on Untitled VII and he seemed like he just wanted to bail too.  I think they were pissed at the dismal turnout for the show.  The St. Vitus gig the night before in NYC was packed, and there couldn't have been more than 30 people at the Boston gig.  It was just a weird, depressing vibe.  Show was great, though.  Cried during those twin guitar harmonies in "Nothing In the Guise of Something".  So good.  

Deadhorse stuff!!!!  They just released physical copies of their demo on CD and cassette, as well as a t-shirt to go along with it.  I'm probably going to get the 3-piece bundle with the shirt, CD, and tape.  I feel like the tape will provide a squishy analog warmth that suits this material.  

http://www.talismancreative.storenvy.com/

LEEESTEN HEAH - http://www.deadhorse.bandcamp.com/

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Deadhorse stuff!!!!  They just released physical copies of their demo on CD and cassette, as well as a t-shirt to go along with it.  I'm probably going to get the 3-piece bundle with the shirt, CD, and tape.  I feel like the tape will provide a squishy analog warmth that suits this material.  

So the question is which shitty format do you prefer...

13 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Haha....  CDs aren't shitty, though.  The tape...  maybe.  It might sound cool with it's analog warmth.  They seem to be indicating that they're going to press this thing on vinyl though eventually.  I was playing some old death metal tapes yesterday, and I think i need a new deck for those.  Lots of warble.  Granted, they're independent releases that are some  years old now, and the tape itself might just be shitty quality and degrading.  

On 7/29/2016 at 2:53 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

It was more the whole band.... I briefly mentioned to their bass player how much I love his backing vocals on Untitled VII and he seemed like he just wanted to bail too.  I think they were pissed at the dismal turnout for the show.  The St. Vitus gig the night before in NYC was packed, and there couldn't have been more than 30 people at the Boston gig.  It was just a weird, depressing vibe.  Show was great, though.  Cried during those twin guitar harmonies in "Nothing In the Guise of Something".  So good.  

I'm sure the turnout had a lot to do with it. But Dave (bassist) is just really shy. I have tried 3 times to talk to him, even with good ol' BJ there once, but he just seemed to have that deer in headlights/social anxiety look on his face. Great dude though, and honest about his bass playing skills on the documentary.

On 7/29/2016 at 3:32 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

16 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Support the band so they can get enough funds to eventually get the music on vinyl, and if I don't like the format(s), I'll share them.  I know the Europe tour really set DH back financially, and they didn't feel right doing the GoFundMe or Kickstarter thing, so I respect their financial conscience. "Punk" collides with responsibility sooner or later.  Talk with Matt in Rosetta about "punk" economics.

Plus, I have the Demo CD with the handmade cover that Rachel did for the original /50. With all the cyber communication and rare opps to meet in real time, things like that and the stuff Faith does with Mamiffer and Eric with TQA really give a personal touch that adds to my experience. Now, I don't get all giddy and mess, but it does motivate a purchase. (I think of the personal notes from G L A C I E R S with MTTA, from Jackie with Grayceon and Giant Squid, Rachel Grimes' notes, etc etc etc)

On 7/30/2016 at 3:17 PM, omik11303 said:

Genuinely did not know such a thing existed.

Oh man, for real?  It's absolutely HUGE.  Underground death and black metal have massive, massive tape markets.  Massive.  I think a large part of it is trying to capture a sense of nostalgia, and be part of the thing where once upon a time, bands like Vader and Mayhem and Incantation released actual demo tapes in the early 90s.  It's all a fetish thing, I think.  The look... the feel... and the sound.  Same as it is with us and vinyl, we love the look of those splatters, the feel and weight of the record and the jacket.  But tapes have this beautiful soft warmth to them that pairs with the overdriven guitar sound of death metal wonderfully.  

• 2 weeks later...

Checking out this Podcast with Jeff Boyle from Jakob.....  really cool interview.  Definitely long, but it's pretty cool.  They kind of talk about everything.  

http://offthetracks.co.nz/sweetman-podcast-episode-28-jeff-boyle-of-jakob/

Also just snagged "The Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation" for like $5 on discogs, new.  Couldn't believe it.  

Checking out this Podcast with Jeff Boyle from Jakob.....  really cool interview.  Definitely long, but it's pretty cool.  They kind of talk about everything.  

http://offthetracks.co.nz/sweetman-podcast-episode-28-jeff-boyle-of-jakob/

Also just snagged "The Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation" for like $5 on discogs, new.  Couldn't believe it.  

15 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

I don't mean to complain, but Mylene is being awful slow lately; more than usual. I sent them an email June 1st to finally send out that Caspian wood box, and they have yet to ship it, or reply to an update I sent mid July. Hmmm.

I haven't had an experience with them yet that was timely. Even the BoS record I won came months after the fact. I had no idea that I had even won anything and they apologized for the wait on my packing slip. They are so nice it's impossible to complain about them.

They could definitely use a few extra hands. 

2 hours ago, deafening said:

I haven't had an experience with them yet that was timely. Even the BoS record I won came months after the fact. I had no idea that I had even won anything and they apologized for the wait on my packing slip. They are so nice it's impossible to complain about them.

They could definitely use a few extra hands. 

Yeah, I love J & L to death so I try not to bug them. I'm just antsy cause it's the last Caspian piece I have to get in so I can take my family photo. : )

One of the benefits of being sick and bed-ridden most of the day is that music consumption goes way up.  I don't know if these guys count for post-whatever, but I say they do because of their post-rock peaks, but do you guys like The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die?  I just discovered these guys on a lark, and holy cow.... this is some quite impressive stuff.  Plus, judging from my comparisons on their wikipedia page in regards to song-lengths and their live session videos, it seems they do in fact improvise a little bit and jam into songs.  Very cool.  Loving this right now.  

• jhulud locked this topic