Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Hey guys...if you like nearly 30 minute songs, songs that start off very ambient & build into an epic orchestral shoegazey frenzy, give this a listen...

http://ananever.bandcamp.com/track/future-wife

And then just over 16 minutes, this is pretty incredible too...

http://ananever.bandcamp.com/track/gorgeous-one

Good Lord, just listen to all 4 songs from this album. Last song is 28 freaking minutes & insanely good as well.

Aha, you have found Fluttery!  They have SO many good bands.  My favorite is The Seven Mile Journey, from Denmark. Godspeed-esque but can be even darker and more eerie at times. Headphone, listen in the dark music. 

The Neko Nine split is very good, and their token postmetal band is Sevens, Nines and Tens.

Fluttery got no wax, though, but that is not always a bad thing. I'm not a purist.  But I do want TMSJ on wax!

*A purchase I just made on bandcamp from Dani Pat's review on Echoes and Dust is http://thecloudswillclear.bandcamp.com/

Track 3 seems to be a fave, but I had track 4 stuck in my head yesterday, "Solar Eclipse"

*A band I have mentioned, yet another postrock band from Germany, Milhaven, actually has vinyl of their most recent from 2012, "Automata" a 3 track EP/LP.  I did not know this until this weekend, having not going through my bandcamp more thoroughly in a while. Track 1 DMZ is my favorite and has some sections that hook. I got the next to the last Red /100 for $26ppd. I have all 4 of theirs on mp3 (and their S/T on ltd CD), and depending upon what mood I'm in, they are very good to stellar.

http://milhaven.bandcamp.com/album/automata

I haven't checked out Owen's rec yet (soon), but did check out "musicformessier" Saturnian... which was good, but have enough of already.

Also, I AM Wolves - I liked, and will likely buy later, so thanks to whomever made that rec.

I've always associated it with SFFS.  Don't know if they ever used it as art for a release, but I see it associated with them quite a bit.

And of course, the pleasure is mine.  Glad to see that record go to a good home and a good dude.

I was just about to say this. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's the inside cover artwork for their S/T CD, no?

Spot on, inside the SFFS S/T CD which I am still looking for?  Anyone, anyone? 

Which album? I know I've briefly listened to a few tracks from them before but wasn't instantly hooked by anything. Didn't give them much of a chance though, so I'll try just sitting down for a full album.

Throw in "Hymn For the Greatest Generation" & "The Heart That Fed" from their latest EP. Maybe do YATC & then the Hymn EP. Perfect bookends to their discography. If you love both, you'll love the full albums in between.

Aha, you have found Fluttery! They have SO many good bands. My favorite is The Seven Mile Journey, from Denmark. Godspeed-esque but can be even darker and more eerie at times. Headphone, listen in the dark music.

The Neko Nine split is very good, and their token postmetal band is Sevens, Nines and Tens.

Looks like I'll need to do some Fluttery exploring :)

Best thread on the boards. Right here.

As far as music goes, pretty much. Sorry if it sounds pretentious, but I think of this thread as a bit of a sanctuary when the main board is flooded with Hot Topic represses and SRC exclusives that I honestly couldn't care any less about at the age of 26. In my opinion, even the most generic post-rock / post-metal / ambient / whatever is preferable to the majority of what the boards hype up.

I really like Russian Circles, Jakob, and Cloudkicker. Who else should I check out?

The artists that have been recommended to you are excellent, especially Caspian. But based off these three artists, I get the impression you may be looking for more post-metal than post-rock. (Or at the least, post-rock that is loaded more with riffs than atmosphere.) In which case I'd highly recommend;

• Black Clouds: Everything Is Not Going To Be OK

• Catacombe: Quidam

• Damascus: Heights

• Gifts From Enola: Loyal Eyes Betrayed the Mind / From Fathoms / Self-Titled

• If These Trees Could Talk: Self-Titled. (Above the Earth, Below the Sky is also fantastic, but a bit more atmospheric at times.)

• Irepress: Samus Octology / Self-Titled

• Omega Massif: Karpatia

• Pelican: What We All Come To Need

• Sisters Of...: Follow Me As A Ghost

• Talons: Hollow Realms

• Terraformer: Creatures

• Toundra: (II) / (III)

• Watered: To Those Who Will Never Exist / Some Are Born Into The Endless Night

• Year Of No Light: Ausserwelt / Tocsin

Hopefully that'll be a good start for you.

Derek, King of the Gutters is going to come in here and kick you in the shins for not mentioning Cecilia::Eyes (which I'm listening to now for the first time - great stuff.)

Despite his undying love for them, I still haven't gotten a hold of their album.  For shame, I know.  I streamed a track or two on their bandcamp and I dug them, but I'm an MP3 / 320 kind of guy.  Will definitely grab it eventually.

Best thread on the boards. Right here.

I totally agree (and not accounting for bias because I started the thread). Post-rock/metal/whatever has become my primary genre(s) of choice. And I've come to trust the opinions of the regulars in this thread. If one of you guys post something I haven't heard, I know I better at least give it a shot.

Derek, King of the Gutters is going to come in here and kick you in the shins for not mentioning Cecilia::Eyes (which I'm listening to now for the first time - great stuff.)

Haha I think I've come to terms with the fact that my obsession goes way above what others think. This just is one of those bands that knows exactly how to satisfy my musical palette.

I'm not sure what album you are listening to but I'd say make sure you listen to "Isolated Shower" from Disappearance & "No Prayers, No Bells, No Homeland" from Here Dead We Lie.

Thanks for getting me started on another obsessive post haha.

As far as music goes, pretty much. Sorry if it sounds pretentious, but I think of this thread as a bit of a sanctuary when the main board is flooded with Hot Topic represses and SRC exclusives that I honestly couldn't care any less about at the age of 26. In my opinion, even the most generic post-rock / post-metal / ambient / whatever is preferable to the majority of what the boards hype up.

The artists that have been recommended to you are excellent, especially Caspian. But based off these three artists, I get the impression you may be looking for more post-metal than post-rock. (Or at the least, post-rock that is loaded more with riffs than atmosphere.) In which case I'd highly recommend;

• If These Trees Could Talk: Self-Titled. (Above the Earth, Below the Sky is also fantastic, but a bit more atmospheric at times.)

No love for Watered??

• Sisters Of...: Follow Me As A Ghost

• Watered: To Those Who Will Never Exist / Some Are Born Into The Endless Night

Yes, I'm a metalhead at heart so that's probably exactly what I'm looking for. The only band I've really listened to on this list is Pelican, so along with the Caspian albums/EPs I've got plenty of stuff to check out. Thanks!

Yes, I'm a metalhead at heart so that's probably exactly what I'm looking for. The only band I've really listened to on this list is Pelican, so along with the Caspian albums/EPs I've got plenty of stuff to check out. Thanks!

Not to keep throwing more at you but you'd probably enjoy Audrey Fall's "Mitau" from this year. That's a big one that has gotten a lot of attention.

I listened to it a few times thanks to all the attention it's gotten in this thread and really enjoyed it, especially the last couple of songs.  I wish I could keep up with this thread better, you guys move too fast for me!

Feel like a hamster on one of those wheel things sometimes trying to listen to everything and not get them mixed up. One common theme, is when I go check the artist mentioned, their S/T EP that is not mentioned always turns out to be SOLID, but of course, only available on mp3!

2 thoughts:

1 - How have I never listened to You May Die In the Desert before? International Waters is crushing my ears right now. They had to have been mentioned already, no? I feel like I've heard of these guys before, just never listened.

What inspired me to check them out was the fact they randomly started following me on Instagram haha.

2 - Since we're all discussing how easy it is to get lost in the onslaught of band recommendations, do you guys think I should update the OP with a list of bands/albums mentioned with links if available? I can credit whoever gave the initial rec if that floats ya'lls boats.

At least this way I can refer back to it so I don't make another boneheaded Audrey Fall-esque double post.

And also when newbies show up to the thread there is a great way to check out everything we've listed without going through over 20 pages of stuff.

this may be time consuming, but it will pay off in the end......

i'd update the first post with every band listed in these pages with links if possible.

the unofficial transcripts and musings of all things post-rock and it will be a good record for bands to discover or revisit.

id leave the title as is.

• jhulud locked this topic