Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Never listened to Blueneck. Guess I'll have to get on that to give an opinion.

if you end up liking, i have a copy of Scars of the Midwest for sale.

also, My heavy hitters in no order. (granted they are my cornerstones. i have branched out so much but i always come back to these guys)

Caspian

ITTCT

EITS

Jakob

GIAA

Giants

MONO

Russian Circles

Moonlit Sailor

Pg.lost

GSY!BE

GFE

BoS (Dogs and It Is Curtains proved very strong for me)

Red Sparowes

TWDY (I know)

Pelican

Come on now, this thread welcomes everyone! The more the merrier! It's about the only ongoing thread where, hey, we actually respect all of our thoughts & opinions & differences & can have legit discussions with ZERO bitching & needless drama. You know, how these boards should be.

It is funny because I have actually decided that post-rock shows are my favorite to attend because of this. The crowd is always the best. So thank you.

Well. I guess I will just jump in...

Sigur Ros is on the edge for me because sometimes, in the majority of three of their albums, he sings in Icelandic (which I wouldn't consider post-rock) but sometimes he sings in his made up language which I think makes his voice more of an added instrument rather than vocals... Therefore making it more post-rock IMO. It's a weirdy! But obviously adored.

but sometimes he sings in his made up language which I think makes his voice more of an added instrument rather than vocals... Therefore making it more post-rock IMO.

excellent thought in regards to this...and you are welcome in this thread at any time! pull up and album and stay awhile.

excellent thought in regards to this...and you are welcome in this thread at any time! pull up and album and stay awhile.

Hey thank you! You're always a kind one.

Haha... same here for the most part

Oh jeeze. Common.

As much as I LOVE BN, I vote to keep them off the list. Too much singing. This is the instrumental thread after all.

Guys, seriously though, probably my second favorite instrumental album ever (Tertia is first, duh):

r9lzx57.jpg

Das pretty.

I am serious. Most of these cats love their post rock; it mostly dominates the thread. I am more inclined to the ambient / drone / noise spheres than post rock, but I do chime in once in a while.

They are both lovely where I am concerned. Although I definitely shy away from post-metal, so far. Did you hear Balmorhea's new song? Sounds like it would be up your alley. 

Those french bands you should know #2

You like math-rock ? Then you should definitely listen to Jean Jean :

http://jeanjean.bandcamp.com/album/symmetry

Two (great) albums, both available on vinyl (musicfearsatan or aftermarket only, sadly) and great dudes.

____________________________________________________________________________________

About the thread : the idea of lists/rep' is good, +30 pages may already afraid most viewers.

Now, if this is only/mostly post-rock, maybe changing the title of the topic would be a good idea ? Because "Instrumental Music Discussion" is pretty large. And many post-rock bands uses voices/sings in some songs.

My two cents.

Yup. And not only that, but it's a little too vague / inaccurate since the vast majority of music incorporates instruments. If we're going by the thread title, pretty much everything except electronic, synthesized ambient / drone, and spoken word would qualify to be on the list. There is definitely a post-sound that this thread is all about.

I had been debating the thread title as well. Any suggestions? Should we go "Official Post-**** Thread" or something? I subscribe to a "post-rock" blog & someone there dubbed the "post-*" phrase since there are so many off-shoot, sub-sub genres of post-rock.

And if we do that, does that change our inclusion on borderline bands?

I have no idea what to change the thread title to. But I'm not picky. We definitely need to either vote on a compiled list of borderline bands, or establish some official guidelines for considering artists.

I agree with Charlie that ambient / drone shouldn't be in here. While I do love it, there's actually a thread for it on the main vinyl sub forum. My gut still thinks Sigur Rós is in, though.

I have no idea what to change the thread title to. But I'm not picky. We definitely need to either vote on a compiled list of borderline bands, or establish some official guidelines for considering artists.

I agree with Charlie that ambient / drone shouldn't be in here. While I do love it, there's actually a thread for it on the main vinyl sub forum. My gut still thinks Sigur Rós is in, though.

Do it. Let the Sigur Rós flow through you.

Sigur Ros

Russian Circles

Jakob

(The Mighty) Caspian

If These Trees Could Talk

Red Sparowes

The Seven Mile Journey

Year Of No Light

The Pirate Ship Quintet

Mogwai

I beg mercy from GFE, TWDY, Toe, CK, GY!BE, Giants, Daturah, Mono (edit: The Evpatoria Report) and a host of others tied for tenth, who still make my heart leap for joy at the anticipation of dropping a needle on their wax or clicking on their folder in Media Player  :(

• jhulud locked this topic