Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

So after Topshelf announced they are releasing some of LITE's material on vinyl, and bringing them over here for a tour, I've been getting into Japanese math/post-rock a bit more than just toe.  Any recommendations besides toe, LITE, and Té'?

You may enjoy Downy :

Not always instrumental-only, always nice.

So after Topshelf announced they are releasing some of LITE's material on vinyl, and bringing them over here for a tour, I've been getting into Japanese math/post-rock a bit more than just toe.  Any recommendations besides toe, LITE, and Té'?

Listen to Mirror, Tricot, Malegoat, Blue Friend, Envy, The Play Dead Season.

Listen to Mirror, Tricot, Malegoat, Blue Friend, Envy, The Play Dead Season.

Envy is one of my favorite bands.  Blue Friend and Malegoat are awesome.  I haven't heard of the others though, thanks!

(You should distro that Blue Friend LP).

Thanks for the other recommendations too, guys.

Hey guys...if you like nearly 30 minute songs, songs that start off very ambient & build into an epic orchestral shoegazey frenzy, give this a listen...

http://ananever.bandcamp.com/track/future-wife

And then just over 16 minutes, this is pretty incredible too...

http://ananever.bandcamp.com/track/gorgeous-one

Good Lord, just listen to all 4 songs from this album. Last song is 28 freaking minutes & insanely good as well.

Mono are from Japan, but they sound nothing like Toe, LITE or Te' *to my ears* esp re: mathiness /jazzy  - not even earlier years before they went orchestral.  Hymn ... is awesome and probably my favorite.

I had not heard of the others, so the mathy list grows,  in addition to king's recommendations...

it's late here and I was going to add another Russian postmetal band to check out along with Owen's rec at the top of this page, but it looks like we have plenty to digest for now. 

Carry on.

Wanted to give the frequent members of this thread dibs on a record I'm trying to sell – Toundra's (II).  1st press, 180 gram, /100.  Untouched.  Clear has been my go-to copy to play, and I'm slimming down on a few extras I've got around here.  If anyone's interested, please drop me a line and I'm sure we can agree on something extremely reasonable.

4775505431_ffda6afd58_z.jpg

From Brian's blog.  Obviously.

[edit]

SOLD.  To the man with a tree for a head.  Thank you.

I'd start with You Are A Conductor EP. Short and sweet.

Agree with YATC first, and then listen to Tertia - in my top 5 postrock albums. Has a very "southwestern US" feel to it (to me) with the chords in Ghosts of the Garden, Malacoda (and if that song doesn't earworm you or have you air guitaring, something wrong with you brah), and The Raven. First track may not grab you, but hang in there.

Of Foam and Wave "live" is simply crushing and soaring at the same time.

I started with page 1 of this thread and worked my way through 90% of rec's so far and picked up some gems, listened to groups I had heard of and never checked.

Funny but looking at my notes from early 2012 I had listened to Watered's first -- and made positive notes about it ,each track in detail, and never went back to followup until this thread.  I don't keep a note diary anymore, just folders with links to bandcamp or Soundcloud, etc:

Instrumentals to check out

Keepers - buy mp3 or wax

Good, but have enough (of that sound already)

Not my cuppa

SOLD.  To the man with a tree for a head.  Thank you.

:D

The body's the real problem (thus Slint album cover on my FB, IG --- good from the neck up), but this old lithograph that someone altered is just so striking.  I get a lot of questions about where it's from.  Only a couple of people  have known.

Thanks for selling me that Toundra, Derek

:D

The body's the real problem (thus Slint album cover on my FB, IG --- good from the neck up), but this old lithograph that someone altered is just so striking.  I get a lot of questions about where it's from.  Only a couple of people  have known.

Thanks for selling me that Toundra, Derek

I've always associated it with SFFS.  Don't know if they ever used it as art for a release, but I see it associated with them quite a bit.

And of course, the pleasure is mine.  Glad to see that record go to a good home and a good dude.

• jhulud locked this topic