The Concert Thread

Saw the senses fail let it enfold you tour last night. It was like a high school reunion with people i had not seen in years. They played well and the set becides the album was almost all older stuff which was a crowd pleaser.

Never listened to them in high school, but I felt the same way. Came in late, so I missed most of Tie Her Down, but I also missed all the openers, so it worked out. Really glad they played Bonecrusher and The Path in the encore.

I have around 10 more shows to go to before the end of the year

but The Get Up Kids aftershow at Riot Fest this past weekend was easily my favorite show of the year.

1. Coming Clean

2. Action & Action

3. Valentine

4. Woodson

5. Red Letter Day

6. Overdue

7. Shorty

8. The One You Want

9. Long Goodnight

10. Mass Pike

11. I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel

12. No Love

13. Campfire Kansas

14. Holiday

15. My Apology

16. Don't Hate Me

17. Walking On A Wire

18. Close To Me

19. I'll Catch You

20. Ten Minutes

That to me was perfection.

I drove to Denver from SLC to see Coheed on Satruday (after driving from DC > Denver > SLC the weekend before). I got to the venue about 3 hours early and stood in line. The line types were kind of a shit show. The platinum went in fine as scheduled cause there were only 25. When it came to gold, there must have been 60%+ people in the line, so they broke it up into 2 lines at two doors which kind of fucked some of the people who had been waiting a few hours. Anyway, I was about 10th or so in the 1st entrance and b-lined it to the merch table. I was able to grab a record, then relieved my about-to-burst bladder, then got a drink, and made my way to the front. For the acoustic song, Coheed covered Jimmy Eat World which was fucking awesome. General admission was supposed to come in at 6:30 but didn't make it in 'til 7. TYS came on and confused the fuck out of me. There were sweeps, then horn solos, then blast beats, constant singing with vocals I couldn't make out whatsoever. I was just scratching my head, watching the clock to wait for Coheed to come on. They weren't bad by any means. Some of them are very musically inclined, but I don't think they know what genre / song style they want. They kind of transitioned from genre to genre, and not seamlessly I might add. Not like BTBAM going from blast beats to African tribal music. Anyway, I digress. So Coheed came on at about 8:30 and continued to amaze me for the next 2 hours. I never thought I would get to hear IKSSE:3 front to back after I missed the first Neverender. Despite the total neck beard / hot topic convention, the crowd was awesome. A lot of singing, A LOT; which I'm fine with. Coheed was in key and on time and are great showmen. I have seen then probably 10 times over the past decade plus, and this might have been my favorite performance by them. One of the best parts was the light rig. The house lights were ... well, just that, house lights. But the lights that Coheed provided made for an epic night. (I'll attach some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about). They played a few new songs, a few old, and closed with Welcome Home. Overall the long 16 hours of driving was well worth it and I don't think that will be topped for quite some time.

iQmj5Nuh.jpg

gVpmBmTh.jpgCEtabBNh.jpg

Coming Up:

1) Earth

2) Pup

3) Protomen

4) Uncle Acid

5) Fall of Troy

6) Badbadnotgood

7) Melvins

8) Magic Circle

Are you seeing Earth in SLC, or will you be moved by then? I'm excited for the show, but I wish it was at a different venue. The Complex sucks.

I'll be here. So I'm sure I'll see you there. I actually moved my lease back a week so I could see them here. Haha and the reason I saw Coheed in Denver (minus from the late SLC release) is how much I hate the Complex. Heard it was a total shit show there anyway. 

just got home from seeing Tom Petty. 1st time seeing him, and was not disappointed.... well, i wanted him to play Girl on LSD but i knew he wouldn't so no big surprise there.

Tom Petty fucking rules and always puts on a great show. I ended up seeing him 4 times in the span of two years about 8 years ago. He played here last summer, the same week as Rush, but tickets for both shows we're around $100 and I was so bummed I had to miss out.

I'm still annoyed about the drunk dude standing behind me "singing along" to the guitar solos at one of the shows though.

I was across town from jhook tonight at Stiff Little Fingers. They were friggin' great. Seeing Suspect Device and Alternative Ulster and Strummerville and Nobody's Hero and all that live was more than worth the price of admission. The new stuff they played was also solid. Plus, they venue they played at is fast becoming my favorite venue in the Boston area. So So Glos opened and they were good. Neither band was selling any vinyl tonight, so I picked up a So So Glos cd. 

Against Me! was great earlier this week. The Gaslight Anthem was good but they went pretty heavy on Handwritten and Get Hurt so it wasn't my favorite set. They did play "1930" though and it blew me away. I love that song. I think it's about Brian's grandmother's dementia/Alzheimer's and that refrain at the end...very moving, heartstring-tugging song. Highlight of the set for me.

I bought tickets to another recently announced show. Cheap Girls and Signals Midwest are playing together in mid-October. Good bill. There is also a band named Beach Slang playing and they are on Tiny Engines. Given that label's reputation, I should probably give them a listen in advance too. 

This probably makes me sound really old (though even when I was a young chap I was not a fan of it)  but I do not understand the joy of "fist moshing" or "two stepping" at a punk or metal show.  I am sure there is a more accurate term for it but I hate going to a show and the pit is made up of 4 people just punching and kicking and being all around douchers.  

When I saw It Dies Today Sunday I was excited for a good pit with people coming up singing along/circle pitting/ etc.  It was far from it.  I am glad I am standing 5 feet from the "pit" and I get 10 fits in my back throughout the night from people who have no control just throwing their shit everywhere.

Okay old man rant done...

On a side note It Dies Today were awesome.

Super stoked on this next week for me

Wednesday (tomorrow): Cory Branan

Friday: Code Orange

Sunday: Big Freedia (and Fuse TV is coming to record for her Reality Show as well)

Tuesday: J Mascis

J mascis is playing in pittsburgh soon. Wanted to go till i saw the 50 dollar price tag. Same show in cleveland is like 17 bucks...

J mascis is playing in pittsburgh soon. Wanted to go till i saw the 50 dollar price tag. Same show in cleveland is like 17 bucks...

I'm working the door for the show here at the venue I work at....because it's damn near Sold-Out I'm sure I'll end up not being able to pay attention to all of it because of people trickling in. Still super stoked

$18 advance (plus $3 fees to our ticketing system we use)/$20 day of.....definitely not $50, how big is that venue to charge so damn much? We're a 250 cap room

Probably 300ish id say. Not very large. Its 49.50 not including service charges. I can only assume they have sold 12 tickets to the show based on that price.

loving that propagandhi and RVIVR will be here at the end of the year

also have

Kool Keith show at a local brewery for free on sunday night

modern baseball coming in Dec

Sick of it all / Negative Approach in Nov

Rev Horton Heat in Nov

the devil makes three - the weekend before fest

plus pre-fest & fest