PO: Merge Records 25th Anniversary 7" Box Set "Or Thousands Of Prizes"

http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=968

Or Thousands of Prizes is a subscription-based, bonus-filled box set celebrating Merge Records’ twenty-fifth anniversary. Throughout 2014, subscribers will receive twelve 7-inches (split singles, mostly) on colored vinyl featuring exclusive, newly released tracks from 25 Merge artists including Superchunk, Mikal Cronin, Mount Moriah, The Mountain Goats, The Clientele, Destroyer, King Khan & the Shrines, Lambchop, and more.

In addition, subscribers will receive exclusive Or Thousands of Prizes bonus items and gear, including:
• A collector’s box to show off and organize the 7-inch collection
• An exclusive t-shirt commemorating 25 years of Merge Records
• A “surprise” bonus 12-inch
• A CD and digital download of all Or Thousands of Prizes tracks
• An updated and newly issued e-book version of our visual discography, The Merge Records Companion
• A free download of Superchunk’s Halloween cover of Misfits’ “Children in Heat” (for those who subscribe before the end of November 2013)

PLUS, all subscribers will have first access to tickets for special Merge anniversary events and be entered to win giveaways throughout 2014!

Proceeds from the box set will be donated to Oxfam America, a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. They save lives, develop long-term solutions to poverty, and campaign for social change. Learn more at oxfamamerica.org.

The cost of each box set subscription is $125, which includes free domestic standard shipping. Two 7-inches will be shipped bimonthly starting in February 2014, along with bonus materials throughout the year.

Or Thousands of Prizes is a limited-edition, subscription-only set and can only be purchased via the Merge online store. The singles will not be available individually or sold in stores.

I don't like enough of the artists to buy the subscription, but if anyone does and ends up not wanting the Mount Moriah 7", please let me know!

Superchunk, Mikal Cronin, Mount Moriah, The Mountain Goats, The Clientele, Destroyer, King Khan & the Shrines, Lambchop

huh?

What do you mean?

It means how the hell can't you like most of those. Mikal Cronin's album is easily one of the best of the year, Superchunk, The Mountain Goats, and Destroyer have been around forever and have been great for a long, long time. And those are just the ones I listen to actually.

It means how the hell can't you like most of those. Mikal Cronin's album is easily one of the best of the year, Superchunk, The Mountain Goats, and Destroyer have been around forever and have been great for a long, long time. And those are just the ones I listen to actually.

I do like The Mountain Goats and Mikal Cronin as well, but haven't heard enough of the others to really say one way or another and therefore couldn't justify dropping $125 on something I may not like/listen to 75% of.

i guess my point was that every one of those bands is great and that means minimum 8/12 will be worth hearing.  i do agree that 125 is pretty steep, but i pay $60+$20 for the Joyful Noise box every year and those are on flexi.  seems to be in line, based upon what the box looks like and what the extra goodies turn out to be.

im on the fence

Throughout 2014, subscribers will receive twelve 7-inches (split singles, mostly) on colored vinyl featuring exclusive, newly released tracks from 25 Merge artists including Superchunk, Mikal Cronin, Mount Moriah, The Mountain Goats, The Clientele, Destroyer, King Khan & the Shrines, Lambchop, and more.

Let's hope the "and more" includes (all the below had releases on Merge in the past year)

• Arcade Fire
  • Spoon
  • Polvo
  • She & Him
  • Telekinesis
  • Magnetic Fields
  • M. Ward
  • Wild Flag
  • Bob Mould

i guess my point was that every one of those bands is great and that means minimum 8/12 will be worth hearing.  i do agree that 125 is pretty steep, but i pay $60+$20 for the Joyful Noise box every year and those are on flexi.  seems to be in line, based upon what the box looks like and what the extra goodies turn out to be.

I wish they were doing the subscription series like A Joyful Noise.  I don't mind shelling out a little up front for the box and then having paying for it each month.  It all adds up the same in the end, but it 'hurts' less to pay monthly.

It's a very tempting release, for sure, as I love Merge and tons of the bands on it. Lambchop especially. One of my all time favorite bands.

It's pricey, but the extra stuff definitely eases the sting. I'm about 85% yes on it. Just waiting on my next paycheck I think. ...I think....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally just ordered this with the holiday coupon for $112.50. It's kind of amazing that you get 12 7"s with a box, an LP, a t-shirt, a tote bag, and a book, with multiple shipments included. Mountain Goats and Superchunk sold me on artists, especially with the possibility of other Merge artists like Magnetic Fields getting in on this.

I was really tempted for Polyvinyl's series, but mostly by the Matt Pryor record, and this one just has more possibility for awesomeness. Then I thought about Anti-Flag's ridiculous series of 6 7"s for a million dollars, and I said to Merge, "Money well spent."

• 2 weeks later...

John Darnielle just tweeted some info on the Mountain Goats 7" that has me really considering a subscription...

ok so Merge is doing a subscription series of 7"s with several perks (tickets to anniversary events, giveaways), proceeds benefitting Oxfam

why am I telling you this, you ask

because it's a limited subscription and if you want to own me doing Ozzy's "Shot In The Dark" on piano then the subscription is how

the "Shot in the Dark" cover was recorded by the legendary Brian Paulson at Mitch Easter's studio by the way

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...