Gossip Hour: Connor Oberst Accused of Rape

I have no clue. I've never known him to wear a wedding ring, even since with Corina. But I've only seen press photos over the past years though like I said, no ring during the show back in 2011 either. What I specifically remember is conor saying how he felt the need to change and move and start over with his marriage and talking about it bbeing strange having that big place and living so differently or something.

" The statements I made and repeated online and elsewhere over the past six months accusing Conor Oberst of raping me are 100% false. I made up those lies about him to get attention while I was going through a difficult period in my life and trying to cope with my son’s illness. I publicly retract my statements about Conor Oberst, and sincerely apologize to him, his family, and his fans for writing such awful things about him. I realize that my actions were wrong and could undermine the claims of actual sexual assault victims and for that I also apologize. I’m truly am sorry."

Who the fuck does that?  Ugh, that just blows my mind.

Someone who has an absolute disregard for the seriousness of it. Knew a girl once who lied about being raped to her boyfriend at the time. She just wanted the attention/sympathy and for him to hate the person she accused because they didn't get along at the time. She and the person she accused ended up patching things up and would force her boyfriend to hang out with him. When her boyfriend asked her why she was fine with him after what he did to her she shrugged it off and said she made it up.

Someone who has an absolute disregard for the seriousness of it. Knew a girl once who lied about being raped to her boyfriend at the time. She just wanted the attention/sympathy and for him to hate the person she accused because they didn't get along at the time. She and the person she accused ended up patching things up and would force her boyfriend to hang out with him. When her boyfriend asked her why she was fine with him after what he did to her she shrugged it off and said she made it up.

That's repulsive.

To all of those on this thread who sought to make those of us that didn't buy this girls story feel like shitty people, I'm sure we won't hear a word. I just hope that maybe the result of this makes people realize that being so vehemently reactionary and blindly defensive about any issue just makes things worse for all sides of the issue.

By definition that is the most ignorant thing that I've heard in a while. I'm simultaneously repulsed by hear inconsidetation as well as happy for the implication of what a simple, harmfree upbringing she must have had. To me that shows that the worst thing the person has ever faced was a fear of a lack of attention. "Ignorance is bliss" with a slightly different meaning maybe? lol

To all of those on this thread who sought to make those of us that didn't buy this girls story feel like shitty people, I'm sure we won't hear a word. I just hope that maybe the result of this makes people realize that being so vehemently reactionary and blindly defensive about any issue just makes things worse for all sides of the issue.

I mean I wouldn't say all that. The intention of those people was honest Aand accurate, and they're right about everything they said still. The truth is this situation is a step back for actual victims in our society. Regardless, the confession was necessary and I hope at least a few people were in some way enlightened about actual victims through this charade. For conor I hope those turning away from his new album without giving it an ear because of this will change that decision.

This hurts me to the deepest part of my soul. I've wanted this thread to stop being bumped a long time ago and opted out of chiming in this past week or so. Something was really off but that isn't unusual when any accusation is leveled and I asked people to wait for the facts to settle before passing judgement in either direction. It's awful. 

Can't say I'm surprised...

Honestly I can see people believing she had to do this and conor still probably raped her.

Like 2% of rape accusations are lies. You have to give alleged victims the benefit of the doubt. This woman, if she's telling the truth, is among the miniscule minority of people who lie about being assaulted.

Nobody wanted anyone to feel shitty about not believing her story... Some people just wanted to point out that calling a woman who was allegedly raped a bitch isn't appropriate.

This hurts me to the deepest part of my soul. I've wanted this thread to stop being bumped a long time ago and opted out of chiming in this past week or so. Something was really off but that isn't unusual when any accusation is leveled and I asked people to wait for the facts to settle before passing judgement in either direction. It's awful. 

Dave always chimes in with the level head. Rape is awful. Defamation is awful. False accusations of an awful crime is awful. 

I really do hope she seeks the help she needs. If the statements were as she said 100% false, something is wrong. 

Nobody wanted anyone to feel shitty about not believing her story... Some people just wanted to point out that calling a woman who was allegedly raped a bitch isn't appropriate.

I totally agree that that was inappropriate. I was referring to topics much earlier in this thread than that one. I just feel that people should be able to believe one side of a story or another and not be made to feel like they HAVE to feel a certain way because otherwise they're immoral or supporting rapists worldwide. This story is clearly a gross example of why rape culture is in such a bad place right now, but it is also a good example of why all issues, regardless of how polarizing or traumatic they are, deserve to be approached without extremism from either side.

Like 2% of rape accusations are lies. You have to give alleged victims the benefit of the doubt. This woman, if she's telling the truth, is among the miniscule minority of people who lie about being assaulted.

The only reason I didn't believe her is because of actually looking at what she wrote, her behavior, the "fooled ya" thing, her contradictions, her blantantly wrong info, her history of lying or catfishing, she had cancer at some point?, etc. It was textbook lying and seemed ridiculous. I felt like the more I found out, the more it just seemed not true and probably a huge hoax. It's shocking to me that people do (although very rarely) do this and it upsets me. It hurts actual victims and makes people doubt the accused even moreso. It's not like I was talking about these things in general.... which is how every body seemed to react to.

"I realize that my actions were wrong and could undermine the claims of actual sexual assault victims and for that I also apologize.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/conor-oberst-rape-accuser-i-made-up-lies-to-get-attention-20140714#ixzz37Tzv9Hgw "

As an actual victim of sexual child abuse from a babysitter, I was extremely skeptical about her story from XOJane. My memory in my situation is clear as day, to this day, of course to each their own. The way she explained how she was, "arranged" to meet her former teachers brother's band, Bright Eyes was extremely fishy. I immediately asked myself, where was the brother in all of this? Did he actually introduce the two? Did he introduce the two and leave his former student alone with Conor? Where did this happen at the venue? For me, ultimately there wasn't enough detail in the story, yet, she was so quick to respond to other users of "how awful" it was a situation yet, she was still a huge fan, and put her son to sleep to his music? Ultimately, there were like 6 huge redflags from the claims. 

Glad this is fini. Wish the two really well.

The only reason I didn't believe her is because of actually looking at what she wrote, her behavior, the "fooled ya" thing, her contradictions, her blantantly wrong info, her history of lying or catfishing, she had cancer at some point?, etc. It was textbook lying and seemed ridiculous. I felt like the more I found out, the more it just seemed not true and probably a huge hoax. It's shocking to me that people do (although very rarely) do this and it upsets me. It hurts actual victims and makes people doubt the accused even moreso. It's not like I was talking about these things in general.... which is how every body seemed to react to.

Yep. When someone has a very loose story with lots of holes, it is fair to assume that there is a good chance it is false.

The converse is true as well -- when someone is found at the crime scene covered in blood with the murder weapon saying "I did it," it is fair to assume they are guilty.

This of course applies to "the court of public opinion," not if you are an actual juror on a trial (in which case it is still innocent until proven guilty).