PO: NOTHING - Guilty of Everything LP

Also, were you the guy with the ponytail and glasses, who made the merch dude check to see what variant they had for GOE?  When he saw that it was the white & black tri-color, he proceeded to grab two copies.  I saw the whole thing go down and thought to myself "that guy has to be on VC."

Yeah, I really do hate to break the bad news.  During the entire set - like, all 6 songs or so - I was just hoping and waiting to hear something that I recognized from Distressor or Pipe Dreams.  But not a thing.  I'll still check out the new album in good faith (and also because I'd like to finally hear the vocals.  Good lord) – but if tonight's show was any indicator of things to come, I think the next record may be my next stop on the Whirr train.

Be careful, they might come on here and call you a pussy or something.

No Downward Years To Come, sadly.

Just got home from that show, and was incredibly disappointed with Whirr's performance.  What songs did they even play?  I didn't recognize them at all.  They felt like super repetitive, basic chord-jammed songs.  The vocalist's mic was turned down so low, and he didn't even acknowledge the guy who shouted at him to turn it up.  Their personality was also dry as hell, too.  Really bummed out, as they were about 60% of my motivation to go.  It's a good thing Nothing killed it.

per the Graveface thread, unless they kill it with the upcoming release in September, my variant disease with them has been cured. 90% of the reason I re-upped with GF Record Club was the new Whirr LP (certainly not the Pipe Dreams redux). 

Also, were you the guy with the ponytail and glasses, who made the merch dude check to see what variant they had for GOE?  When he saw that it was the white & black tri-color, he proceeded to grab two copies.  I saw the whole thing go down and thought to myself "that guy has to be on VC."

Yeah, I really do hate to break the bad news.  During the entire set - like, all 6 songs or so - I was just hoping and waiting to hear something that I recognized from Distressor or Pipe Dreams.  But not a thing.  I'll still check out the new album in good faith (and also because I'd like to finally hear the vocals.  Good lord) – but if tonight's show was any indicator of things to come, I think the next record may be my next stop on the Whirr train.

No, sorry not me hahaha. I saw they had a white copy on the merch table when I went up, so I just grabbed that with my poster (one copy). I didn't know anyone on VC was going or I would've said hi and I'll still probably preorder the new Whirr lp. I guess I just assumed they'd pickup where they left off and get another female vocalist. I wasn't trying to diss them for the new lineup, they're probably just trying to make it work and figuring everything out. 

Be careful, they might come on here and call you a pussy or something.

I value the joke, and it did get a legitimate grin out of me, but in all reality... this isn't even the same band.  At least as far as I'm concerned.  I brought a friend along to the show who hadn't even heard of Whirr; he thoroughly enjoyed both Youth Code and Nothing, but was pretty disappointed with Whirr's performance.  ("I was trying to get into them, man.  I really, really was.")  So I spent the drive back home remedying his misconception of the band, at which point he fully understood why I was bummed out.

Whirr's trolling / bloated ego is a gimmick that some people love, and other's hate.  I personally don't care for it, but I think it'd be silly to let that ruin their music for me.  But with this current lineup... if they're going to boast that they're the best, loudest band in the world, they should work on performing music that isn't yawn-inducing.  I'm not saying that I could write better songs, as I wouldn't even know where to begin with.  But they legitimately played like an opening band last night... and after all their Facebook claims, bragging, and tough-guy nonsense, I'm starting to think it's all a gigantic joke on their end.

If someone going to a show could grab me a tri-color (after seangj), I'd really appreciate it. I can PP ahead of time. 

Just to let you (and anyone else) know, they're selling that tri-split for $20.  You'd be looking at ~$24 PPD if another VC member is able to hook you up.

No, sorry not me hahaha. I saw they had a white copy on the merch table when I went up, so I just grabbed that with my poster (one copy). I didn't know anyone on VC was going or I would've said hi and I'll still probably preorder the new Whirr lp. I guess I just assumed they'd pickup where they left off and get another female vocalist. I wasn't trying to diss them for the new lineup, they're probably just trying to make it work and figuring everything out. 

Yeah, I'm really hoping they can pull it together for the new album.  Trying to remain optimistic, I suppose.  But even if they mixed the vocals higher and-or recorded with a female vocalist, the songwriting still leaves a lot to be desired.

As long as Whirl keep their guitars massive and loud, I'll keep buying their records.

The guitars at the show were indeed massive and loud, so if those are indeed your bare-minimum requirements, you should be content.  The chord progressions were nice, but it was like the same two phrases back to back to back to back.  During the third song, I realized that it only took about 30 seconds to figure out what each song was all about.  The drums were the only thing breathing variety into the tracks, in my opinion.  And I'm sure the complete lack of vocals weren't helping, either.

You don't need to worry about new Whirr material being good. I like it more to be honest. 

This is relatively good news, but I suppose it boils down to what we each define as "good".  Would you say the new tracks are just as dynamic as their older material?  Because that's far from the impression I got at the show last night.  And even if the song's aren't entirely fleshed out yet, I imagine you've at least heard the versions they played last night.

I value the joke, and it did get a legitimate grin out of me, but in all reality... this isn't even the same band.  At least as far as I'm concerned.  I brought a friend along to the show who hadn't even heard of Whirr; he thoroughly enjoyed both Youth Code and Nothing, but was pretty disappointed with Whirr's performance.  ("I was trying to get into them, man.  I really, really was.")  So I spent the drive back home remedying his misconception of the band, at which point he fully understood why I was bummed out.

Whirr's trolling / bloated ego is a gimmick that some people love, and other's hate.  I personally don't care for it, but I think it'd be silly to let that ruin their music for me.  But with this current lineup... if they're going to boast that they're the best, loudest band in the world, they should work on performing music that isn't yawn-inducing.  I'm not saying that I could write better songs, as I wouldn't even know where to begin with.  But they legitimately played like an opening band last night... and after all their Facebook claims, bragging, and tough-guy nonsense, I'm starting to think it's all a gigantic joke on their end.

impression I got at the show last night.  And even if the song's aren't entirely fleshed out yet, I imagine you've at least heard the versions they played last night.

Yeah, I feel you man. The album better be damn good.

• 3 weeks later...

I read on another board that there's a repress of Downward Years to Come in the works with 2 extra tracks. One being B&E from Guilty of Everything. Not sure why they would include that track unless it was an alternate version.

Could very well be an early version. B&E was among their first demos(before Downward Years to Come) and was reworked with great effect for GoE.