Game of Thrones: Season 4 (NO SPOILERS BOOK-READERS!)

My wife and I both assumed Joffrey was choking on a piece of pie until they started showing closeups of his face, then we assumed it was poison—but we still figured it was from the pie. It wasn't until some eagle-eyed folks on Reddit did the frame-by-frame breakdown of the necklace that we were convinced it was in the wine cup.

I was on this same boat as well. Thought the little shit was choking. Especially after the quick shot of a bird's head or bloody carcass still inside the pie. 

Meh, watched it again and I don't think you can say either way if it was the wine or pie.  still seemed to be the pie to me, and earlier it was said that the margaery's mother paid for half the meat pies.

fun thing i didnt catch the first time, despite how awful these greyjoy scenes are becoming, right after the dog scene when they do a close up on him, the next immediate scene is tyrion being served two giant sausages.  A+ there

Jut watched. I agree Dani, caught me off guard as well. Obviously glad the king is dead. Anxiously awaiting more Arya.

I'm caught up. Excited to fight with you guys about what a spoiler is in real time from now on!

Arya and the hound is my current favorite storyline. She is such a badass and I love it.

I was on this same boat as well. Thought the little shit was choking. Especially after the quick shot of a bird's head or bloody carcass still inside the pie. 

I think that was just to show how reckless jeoffrey is with weapons.  he didnt have to swing the sword like an axe to release the pigeons, but he did, and killed a few in the process which ended up in the pie, too.  

so was the marriage not complete?  Wouldnt Margaery Tyrell be queen regent in charge?  or was the wedding not complete?  obviously, I havent read the books, so... you know, no spoilers

I think that was just to show how reckless jeoffrey is with weapons.  he didnt have to swing the sword like an axe to release the pigeons, but he did, and killed a few in the process which ended up in the pie, too.  

so was the marriage not complete?  Wouldnt Margaery Tyrell be queen regent in charge?  or was the wedding not complete?  obviously, I havent read the books, so... you know, no spoilers

No consummation = no marriage

Meh, watched it again and I don't think you can say either way if it was the wine or pie. still seemed to be the pie to me, and earlier it was said that the margaery's mother paid for half the meat pies.

fun thing i didnt catch the first time, despite how awful these greyjoy scenes are becoming, right after the dog scene when they do a close up on him, the next immediate scene is tyrion being served two giant sausages. A+ there

Nice pickup on the sausages, I noticed that too, haha.

I wanted to see how joffrey would've gone about consummating the marriage, so in that way I am disappointed.

also caught the greyjoy sausage scene, right as I was filling my friend in on what they did to him.

Ah yes, okay!  so does that mean Tyrion and Sansa are not married?

I got the impression that everyone probably thinks that they consummated it, except for Shae who was the only one that knew the truth. So to the gods they arn't, but to everyone else I'm sure they are.

Just like with Robert, when he died it should've been Stannis as the next in line as the older brother (since we know Joffrey isn't his kid) so it would stand to reason that Joffrey's brother would be next in line.

so is this the third time that song was played and then was followed shortly after with the death of a king?

Robb, Joffrey and ??

The song has been played a lot now so it's recognizable.  I wish they had kind of pumped it out before the Red Wedding so you would have truly understood what was happening when the band started to play it and Catelyn looked up in disbelief.  Even knowing what they were playing - I couldn't recognize an instrumental version of a song that was only barely referenced earlier.