Post Your Record Storage Area

If hoarding records is a mental disorder than I am fucked. Seriously though, I think variant completists have issues.

Also, it drives me NUTS that I have all the Mozaic Miles Davis box sets EXCEPT the Bitches Brew one because I couldn't afford it and no one would get it for me for Christmas because of the title. It was $100 and now it goes for $400-$500 on ebay. I don't know, maybe I do have issues.

I was just listening to Bitches Brew...+1

It looks like he's using a home-theater style "receiver" (why they don't call them home-theater amps I do not know) which tend not to come with specific phono inputs (which you need). So I would presume the amp you see next to the turntable is the phono pre-amp.

nope.

i do have a "modern" reciever (onkyo tx-sr705) which i use for my tv sound. for my hifi setup i am using a 1970's Pioneer SX-939, as the power amp...not a preamp. you can see my preamp sitting next to the pioneer.

i am using 1 set of speakers with two different amps. and the way i am doing it is not necessarily the "correct" way.

i am using a monster cable speaker selector in reverse. basically i have hooked up the onkyo to the "speaker 1" switch and the pioneer to the "speaker 2" switch, and the speakers to the "receiver" output.

i them select which ever receiver i need to use via the box.

i have read that this is not the right way, that they make much more expensive boxes to do this type of thing, but i have been doing this for about 4 months and notice no issues at all. as long as you NEVER allow both receivers to be selected and ON at the same time it should not cause any issues, imo.

I built a box myself for less than $25 worth of materials and an hour's worth of work.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=302861

I came up with the basic idea for those years ago and a carpenter friend made them for me since he had all the proper tools. Just this past summer I needed another one so a different friend who has a woodshop in his garage and I built one to the same specs as the originals and it came out identical.

My old system of record storage for my younger years was those wooden LP crates they used to sell at record shops and on top I would have shoeboxes to hold the 7"s so I can flip through them (Vans SK8 Hi size 11 shoeboxes make perfect 7" boxes). I liked the functionality of that old setup but it wasn't very eye pleasing so my friend and I came up with what you see in the photo. Each unit has the 3 LP shelves and 3 bins on top to hold the 7"s.

It is funny when people come over for the first time who have never seen that room and the first thing they usually reply is "it's like a record store in here, except with more". That is around 27 years worth of collecting in that room so far.

man, i need to find that Samhain box for a decent price.

Is that thing out of print? Honestly as big as a Samhain fan as I am, I found that thing to be really underwhelming when it came out. The comic and the video both sucked. They did a WAY better job on the Misfits box set.

it is oop, and i agree, it was a pretty lame box set. i sold mine about a year back for a number of reasons (the comic book was pretty weak, i dont even own a vcr anymore, so the video was useless, and i already owned all of the samhain discs). i sold it for about $90 ebay, which is about what i paid for it 10 years ago or so when it came out.

the misfits box set is pretty nice, i still own that.

Is that thing out of print? Honestly as big as a Samhain fan as I am, I found that thing to be really underwhelming when it came out. The comic and the video both sucked. They did a WAY better job on the Misfits box set.

it is oop, and i agree, it was a pretty lame box set. i sold mine about a year back for a number of reasons (the comic book was pretty weak, i dont even own a vcr anymore, so the video was useless, and i already owned all of the samhain discs). i sold it for about $90 ebay, which is about what i paid for it 10 years ago or so when it came out.

the misfits box set is pretty nice, i still own that.

I didn't even know it's oop or sells for that much. My grandparents bought it for me for my birthday the year it came out.

• jhulud locked this topic