2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

I think this has been on the list since Day One... Amazed it took this long for the mockery to catch up.

Then again, one mocking picture is worth a thousand mocking words.

Really unsure about this One Direction thing. Is it a joke then? Or for real? Part of me thinks that it's fine to have this to get more people (kids) involved in RSD but then I've always had a problem with one day being reserved for going to a record shop to queue over short runs anyway. Stimulate the market and all but if you look at something like....

Run of 500 coloured/splattered/shat on/whatever released on RSD

vs

Non-limited run in coloured variants plus black released on any other fucking day.

.... I mean, if the record is any good, wouldn't it sell really well anyway, without this stirring up of a one-day-only exclusive?

Eh, I dunno. It's always felt a bit weird having to spend a morning queuing up to go in a shop I visit very regularly anyway.

Really unsure about this One Direction thing. Is it a joke then? Or for real? Part of me thinks that it's fine to have this to get more people (kids) involved in RSD but then I've always had a problem with one day being reserved for going to a record shop to queue over short runs anyway. Stimulate the market and all but if you look at something like....

vs

Non-limited run in coloured variants plus black released on any other fucking day.

.... I mean, if the record is any good, wouldn't it sell really well anyway, without this stirring up of a one-day-only exclusive?

Eh, I dunno. It's always felt a bit weird having to spend a morning queuing up to go in a shop I visit very regularly anyway.

I agree. I frequent my local shop and never see a line other than RSD

They pressed this R.E.M. set at Gotta Groove, I saw them assembling it the other day and it looks niiiiiice:

R.E.M. GO ACOUSTIC FOR THE PEOPLE

ON RECORD STORE DAY

Unplugged: The Complete 1991 And 2001 Sessions Brings Together Both Of The Band's Appearances On The MTV Series, Including Several Unaired Performances, For A Limited Edition Four-LP Collection

Available On April 19 As A Record Store Day Exclusive,

Mike Mills Will Sign Copies At Bullmoose In Scarborough, Maine On Same Day

LOS ANGELES - MARCH 17, 2014 - R.E.M. delivered two knockout performances on MTV's Grammy® and Emmy® award-winning "Unplugged" series, the first in 1991 and the other in 2001, giving them the unique distinction of being the only band to headline the series twice. Surprisingly, audio from both shows has never been available, making these some of the most demanded music in the R.E.M. vaults. That will all change on Record Store Day 2014, when Rhino releases both performances as a limited edition, four-LP set. The collection includes every performance from the original broadcasts, as well as 11 songs that never aired, from the storied collection of the band's MTV appearances.

UNPLUGGED: THE COMPLETE 1991 AND 2001 SESSIONS is packaged in a four-pocket gatefold will be available exclusively at select independent music retailers on April 19. For a list of participating stores, please visit www.recordstoreday.com.

The "Unplugged" performances are sonic snapshots that capture the legendary Athens, Georgia band at important points on its journey from alternative-music progenitors to international stars that have sold more than 85 million albums.

Drummer Bill Berry, guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and singer Michael Stipe recorded their first "Unplugged" session in 1991, while riding a growing wave of success that began in 1987 with the commercial breakthrough of Document. Much of the performance spotlights songs from R.E.M.'s then-current album Out of Time, which sold over 18 million copies worldwide and was the band's first #1 album in the U.S. From the album, the band performed "Radio Song," "Low" and its biggest American hit, "Losing My Religion."

The remainder of the set list spans eight years of music and touches on five different albums, mixing "Perfect Circle" from R.E.M.'s 1983 debut Murmur and fan-favorites like "Fall On Me" and "Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" with a cover of The Troggs' "Love Is All Around." Five songs that never aired can be heard on this set for the first time, including two tracks from the multi-platinum Green - "Get Up" and "World Leader Pretend."

R.E.M. made an extremely rare second appearance on "Unplugged" in 2001, but this time without original drummer Bill Berry, who left the band in 1997. For the show, the band focused mainly on its 12th studio album Reveal - which came out that year - with performances of the singles "Imitation of Life" and "All The Way To Reno (You're Gonna Be A Star)." The song selection draws from eight different albums with "So. Central Rain" from 1984's Reckoning, "Cuyahoga" from 1986's Lifes Rich Pageant and "Find The River," the elegiac album closer from the 1992 classic Automatic For The People.

This collection uncovers six songs from the session that were never broadcast, including tracks from Reveal and Up (1998), as well as a haunting and tranquil re-imagination of the band's breakthrough single, "The One I Love" from 1987's Document.

Following their debut on vinyl for Record Store Day 2014, both "Unplugged" performances will be released on CD and digitally on May 20.

Always advocates for independent record stores, on April 19th (Record Store Day), R.E.M. bassist Mike Mills will be signing copies of the limited-edition, four-LP set at Bull Moose record store in Scarborough, Maine.

Since its debut in 1989, "Unplugged" has been a cultural watershed of musical moments, featuring unforgettable performances from artists including Nirvana, Jay-Z, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tony Bennett, Mariah Carey, Katy Perry, Lil Wayne, Adele , Florence + The Machine and Miley Cyrus. Unplugged was created by Robert Small and Jim Burns and produced by Alex Coletti.

For more information please visit:

www.remhq.com

www.facebook.com/REMhq

UNPLUGGED: THE COMPLETE 1991 AND 2001 SESSIONS

4-LP Track Listing

1991 Unplugged

Side One

1."Half A World Away"

2."Disturbance at the Heron House"

3."Radio Song"

4."Low"

Side Two

1."Perfect Circle"

2."Fall on Me"

3."Belong"

4."Love Is All Around"

Side Three

1."Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"

2."Losing My Religion"

3."Pop Song 89"

4."Endgame"

Side Four

1."Fretless"*

2."Swan Swan H"*

3."Rotary 11"*

4."Get Up"*

5."World Leader Pretend"*

2001 Unplugged

Side Five

1."All The Way To Reno (You're Gonna Be a Star)"

2."Electrolite"

3."At My Most Beautiful"

4."Daysleeper"

Side Six

1."So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry)"

2."Losing My Religion"

3."Country Feedback"

4."Cuyahoga"

Side Seven

1."Imitation of Life"

2."Find the River"

3."The One I Love"*

4."Disappear"*

Side Eight

1."Beat a Drum"*

2."I've Been High"*

3."I'll Take the Rain"*

4."Sad Professor"*

* Not included in original television broadcast

vs

They've been doing that more and more with "RSD First" releases. Released as you said, in about 500 on an exclusive to RSD variant before the widespread, usually standard black release a few months down the road. A good example would be At the Drive-In from last year or the Incubus reissues from a few years back.

I'm torn about the One Direction release. The record snob in me wants to scoff, but there's also the side of me that is happy a new generation/demographic will be introduced to the magic of independent record shops. We all started somewhere, hell I know every word to the first Backstreet Boys album. But its hard to discover all the goodness of non-top 40 music when you're only exposed to the marketing of iTunes and commercial music mega retailers. There's just something about walking into a good record store that everyone should experience. I can't count the amount of times where I have lived out the "Beta Band scene" from High Fidelity- where something was playing on the speakers in the store and I asked what it was and then immediately bought the record. For every hundred teeny-boppers that come out on RSD just to have the latest One Direction single to frame on their wall, there will be a few that fall in love with record stores and I think I am ok with that. 

Plus it will be hilarious to watch the faces of these kids looking for a One Direction record who show up when the store opens at 10 and see the line wrapped around the block.

Veruca Salt – original members Nina Gordon (guitar/vocals), Louise Post (guitar/vocals), Steve Lack (bass), and Jim Shapiro (drums) – will release their first new material in fourteen years on Record Store Day (April 19th, 2014). 

The 10-inch released by the band’s first label, Minty Fresh Records, solely for Record Store Day, features their zeitgeist-defining single “Seether” on one side and two new songs – “The Museum of Broken Relationships” and “It’s Holy” – on the other. 

The new songs are produced by Veruca Salt and Brad Wood, who also produced their seminal debut album, American Thighs, which was released in 1994.

attachment-0004.jpg

So... is there anyone or a website that compiles every single fucking release?

Wow @Duff negative vote because I asked a relevant question? 

Now you've got my panties in a bunch ;)

Not every record label is on the official RSD release page I know of 3 labels that are doing specials on their website only and 2 that are shipping to more local yet known record stores. So perhaps there was a blogger out there compiling such a list that someone here might've known about :) That is all

Weird REM/RSD tie-in... I sold last year's Dylan 7" to Peter Buck. When I saw the address, I thought, "How many Peter Bucks live in Seattle and like records? Probably a lot." But I went ahead and attached a brief note anyway. I figured the (wrong) Peter Buck would get a chuckle out of it.

Nope! It was the real Buck. And/or a guy pulling an incredibly stupid Catfish. Maybe if I buy the REM set this year, I can mail it to him for his autograph.  :lol:

h2b.jpg

We are excited to announce that Heavens To Betsy's classic album Calculated has been repressed on vinyl for Record Store Day!  

One of the classic KRS bands, Heavens To Betsy was Corin Tucker (later of KRS bands Sleater-KinneyCadallaca, and The Corin Tucker Band) on guitar and vocals and Tracy Sawyer (later of KRS band The Lies) on drums, bass, and vocals.

Originally released on March 21st, 1994, Calculated has been out of print on vinyl for over 10 years and we look forward to a new generation of fans putting this record on their turntables this Record Store Day, April 19th. Click here for a list of stores participating in Record Store Day.

bingo. summer in maine is my all time favorite, but holy shit its still going to rain and you have to deal with 8 months of beyond brutal cold to get there and back again. 

edit: bullmoose does rule though, i snagged some of my earlier records like saturday night wrist during the summer in maine at a bullmoose!

I guess it's all how you look at it. Last week while walking my dog in the woods at sunrise right after a snowstorm, I was amazed by how lucky I am to live in a such a beautiful place. 

I'm torn about the One Direction release. The record snob in me wants to scoff, but there's also the side of me that is happy a new generation/demographic will be introduced to the magic of independent record shops. We all started somewhere, hell I know every word to the first Backstreet Boys album. But its hard to discover all the goodness of non-top 40 music when you're only exposed to the marketing of iTunes and commercial music mega retailers. There's just something about walking into a good record store that everyone should experience. I can't count the amount of times where I have lived out the "Beta Band scene" from High Fidelity- where something was playing on the speakers in the store and I asked what it was and then immediately bought the record. For every hundred teeny-boppers that come out on RSD just to have the latest One Direction single to frame on their wall, there will be a few that fall in love with record stores and I think I am ok with that. 

That's the right attitude. We definitely are going big tent here. We want to build the habit but we also want to honor how much One Direction fans love that band. They really are loyal fans and we all know how special we feel when we get a rare record or other piece of memorabilia.

They might outgrow 1D some day them just like we outgrew some of the artists we liked when we were younger. They might not bother to redownload their digital files when they get a new phone, but I bet that they will hang onto those records. And of course, when they are ready for something else, they will know where to go.

h2b.jpg

We are excited to announce that Heavens To Betsy's classic album Calculated has been repressed on vinyl for Record Store Day!  

One of the classic KRS bands, Heavens To Betsy was Corin Tucker (later of KRS bands Sleater-KinneyCadallaca, and The Corin Tucker Band) on guitar and vocals and Tracy Sawyer (later of KRS band The Lies) on drums, bass, and vocals.

Originally released on March 21st, 1994, Calculated has been out of print on vinyl for over 10 years and we look forward to a new generation of fans putting this record on their turntables this Record Store Day, April 19th. Click here for a list of stores participating in Record Store Day.

YES!

h2b.jpg

probably the only LP i'll be picking up on the day

Soundtrack to Far Cry: Blood Dragon is coming out for RSD14 as well: http://www.factmag.com/2014/03/13/invada-to-release-far-cry-3-blood-dragon-soundtrack-for-record-store-day/

Now suddenly there are two things I want on the day, which is kind of half great and half annoying. I hate queues.

It’s been over three decades since Christchurch record shop employee and music fan, Roger Shepherd was inspired to start a record label as an outlet for South Island bands. And it was the city of Dunedin that quickly became most strongly associated with Flying Nun. In 1982 four bands from that southern outpost – The Chills, Sneaky Feelings, The Stones, and The Verlaines – each recorded a side for a double 12” EP pack, which actually untitled, referred to as the ‘Dunedin Double.’

Now for Record Story Day (April 19), Flying Nun is set to re-issue this 4EP set that launched a thousand bands and went on to kick start the label. Not only was it ‘untitled,’ it was an unusual format, with no set order and containing two 45rpm 12” discs. Now re-mastered, the Dunedin Double is being re-issued in its original format and limited to 2,000 copies.

Recorded over two weekends in damp South Island flats (on portable 4-track by Chris Knox and Doug Hood), it was distinctly lo-fi and in tune with the ‘do it yourself’ ethic at the heart of the label. Furthermore it brought the worlds attention to The Chills, The Verlaines, The Stones and Sneaky Feelings and established the notion of the “Dunedin Sound,” a phrase coined for the young bands that followed in the wake of The Clean and an influence which carries on to indie-pop bands around the world today.

FNLP540TheDunedinDouble_zpsbaedc307.jpg

DUNEDIN DOUBLE  - VARIOUS ARTISTS
The Chills, Sneaky Feelings, The Stones, The Verlaines

(FNLP540 / FNCT017)

EP 1
Side A: The Chills

1. Kaleidoscope World
2. Satin Doll
3. (Frantic) Drift
Side B: Sneaky Feelings
1. Pity’s Sake
2. There’s a Chance
3. Backroom

EP 2
Side A: The Stones

1. Down and Around
2. See Red
3. Something New
4. Surf’s Up

Side B: The Verlaines
1. Angela
2. Crisis After Crisis
3. You Cheat Yourself Of Everything That Moves

The Dunedin EP theme also continues with Flying Nun’s other Record Store Day release, Bored Games ‘Who Killed Colonel Mustard.’  Released the same year as Dunedin Double (1982) it introduced the music of a 17-year-old Shayne Carter, who would later go on to form The DoubleHappys and Straightjacket Fits. In the tradition of many great bands they formed while attending high school, debuting at the school’s talent contest in 1979 they went on to play a show supporting Toy Love.

Featuring Carter as the vocalist of the band included the likes of Wayne Elsey (The Stones, DoubleHappys), Terry Moore (The Chills) as well as Fraser Batts, Jonathan Moore and Jeff Harford. The band broke up in 1981 before ‘Who Killed Colonel Mustard’ was released, however, they left behind 4 catchy tracks, packed with teenage angst manifested in early punk stylings.

As part of the Record Store Day release. the EP was re-mastered and includes and insert of previously unseen photos. Limited to 1,000 copies.

FNCT018BoredGamesRSDCover_1400_zpsb0d7c2

BORED GAMES – ‘WHO KILLED COLONEL MUSTARD
(FNLP539 / FNCT-016)

Side A:
1. Happy Endings
2. I Don’t Get It

Side B:
1. Joe 90
2. Bridesmaid

10014552_668945196500133_1980329652_n.jp

AT THE GATES / DECAPITATED split 7"

*Record Store Day Exclusive release limited to 1000 copies

* 7" picture disc single bringing together two of the most revered bands on the Earache roster, each with a Slayer cover track in honour of fallen Slayer legend Jeff Hannemann

At the Gates - 'Captor of Sin' (from 'Slaytanic Slaughter' Slayer tribute 1995) 

The Decapitated - 'Mandatory Suicide' (From ‘Winds of Creation’ 2000)

* The 7" was cut by Noel Summerville at 3345 in London.