The COMMUNITY (service) Thread

Hello VC, I am an idiot. I have 15 hours of community service to do somewhere before Monday in order to pass my sociology class. I do not have time for this as I work a day shift every day, not mentioning other classes that I have to do. If anyone lives in Cali in LA County or Orange County, and runs something that hires volunteers for community service, can someone help me out? I will volunteer for you or your organization for the 15 hours, but I need a time sheet signed before this Monday. OR if anyone else has any ideas. I'm pretty desperate. My financial aid depends on me passing, and if I fail then I won't be able to go to college next semester. I know I'm an idiot and should have done it earlier, but I just saw this hidden requirement in the syllabus last week. 

Edit: I left out the part that I am taking an online class and given a 5 page syllabus about nothingness. And I forgot to read the small statement about community service. This wasn't at the college.

yeah, just find someone there, tell them your story and promise to work. I'd promise to work over 15 hours for them if I were you since they could probably get in trouble doing that for you.

Probably assumed that college students are proficient at reading.

ive never had a class in 8 years of higher education where the professor didnt take the first class of the year to go over the entire sylubus.  its not about being proficient at reading, its about going over expectations of the semester so no one ends up like the OP. 

ive never had a class in 8 years of higher education where the professor didnt take the first class of the year to go over the entire sylubus. its not about being proficient at reading, its about going over expectations of the semester so no one ends up like the OP.

Qft

Hello VC, I am an idiot. I have 15 hours of community service to do somewhere before Monday in order to pass my sociology class. I do not have time for this as I work a day shift every day, not mentioning other classes that I have to do. If anyone lives in Cali in LA County or Orange County, and runs something that hires volunteers for community service, can someone help me out? I will volunteer for you or your organization for the 15 hours, but I need a time sheet signed before this Monday. OR if anyone else has any ideas. I'm pretty desperate. My financial aid depends on me passing, and if I fail then I won't be able to go to college next semester. I know I'm an idiot and should have done it earlier, but I just saw this hidden requirement in the syllabus last week. 

this is not meant to come off negative (and it probably will), but if your financial aid depends on this class, you need to take off a day or two from work to get this done and not use work as an excuse for why you're scrambling. 

how didnt your professor tell you that was on there?

ive never had a class in 8 years of higher education where the professor didnt take the first class of the year to go over the entire sylubus.  its not about being proficient at reading, its about going over expectations of the semester so no one ends up like the OP. 

These.

If he handed you a syllabus hasn't done his part? If someone decides to not read it, that is on them.

The expectations for the semester are in the syllabus. Isn't that the point of the document? 

no, not completely, have you met todays college student?  most universities/colleges require professors to go over the sylubus as part of the first day of class, again, to ensure that all expectations are clear, to avoid the situation the OP is in.  after that first day its up to the student to keep aware of deadlines, but schools require this sylubus overview to avoid issues/complaints/negative attention/even lawsuits so a student cant come back and say "I never knew this, fuck you give me money".

http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/14/judge-rules-against-raising-lehigh-university-grad-students-c-plus-grade/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/michigan-student-57-sues-suspension-essay-stacked-professor-article-1.1358076

every single college class I ever took in high school and at my university, they went over the syllabus the first day. I can't see the professor leaving something out that would cause you to fail either.

24 hours in a day....volunteer after work if needed. Or as said before take a day off work.  One less day pay now or loss of scholarship...which one is more important?

I work at Goodwill and we get volunteers from a number of programs if someone came in saying hey just sign this and I promise to work it soon I would just laugh.

Really its going to be you figuring out which is more important.  Getting a bigger paycheck or staying in college?  Sounds like College is more important so you're going to have to sacrifice not working your shifts, and do this instead once you find a place, because there's no way a place is going to sign off on a time sheet if you didn't actually do the work first.  Start calling now.  

My wife is a professor. No matter how many times she goes over the syllabus, reviews assignments and the like there will without fail be a student sending a frantic email stating they didn't know. 

Seriously, sounds like a tough spot man. I would think of two options here:

1. Ask your boss for the weekend off and get out there. The issue you face is that a lot of charities require an orientation so getting started ASAP might be tough.

2. Go to your professor, explain the error and ask if you can complete it a week late with the understanding you can't get full credit. When I taught I always reacted more positively to those coming in beforehand in an honest manner with a plan than those that came in after the fact expecting my understanding. They forgot that I paid my way through school, earned scholarships, worked two shit minimum wage jobs and still made it through with honors. 

Anyway, I wish you the best here - this is one of those moments where you can either crumble or rise to the occasion so rise up and get it done. If you aren't able to then don't wait until the due date to appeal to the professor. 

Good Luck. 

He should of taught you to spell syllabus instead :P <3