There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

No clue what you're trying to say. The Onion has been a left wing publication since its inception--as is most comedy. If that's what you call propaganda, ok.

If you're suggesting that any article they write featuring a candidate is promotion, then you could just as easily say they're promoting Carson, Trump, or Cruz.

I actually did move to Canada.  It started just as a student visa for university where I met my then future wife.  We were planning on moving to the US after school, but then Bush got elected, so we changed our mind and stayed here.  It was tough for a couple years after I finished school and before I got my landed immigrant status, but I have no regrets.

this is iconic and inspirational <3 

No clue what you're trying to say. The Onion has been a left wing publication since its inception--as is most comedy. If that's what you call propaganda, ok.

If you're suggesting that any article they write featuring a candidate is promotion, then you could just as easily say they're promoting Carson, Trump, or Cruz.

i enjoy me some satire. i like the onion. but literally the day after univision took a 40% stake they published a weak fluff piece that is clearly pro-hillary. no one at the onion even put their name behind the article, it just showed up on the website. it felt lame and contrived and left me disappointed that my go-to news satire website is yet another mouthpiece for the political agenda of billionaires.

I'm not sure if it's more sad or embarrassing that some people 1) hold Trump in some high regard  and 2) still hold him in high regard in spite of a multitude of facts that he is not what they think he really is (e.g. good businessman, straight talker, means what he says, strong and confident leader.) Just saying you're great and the best and that you know a bunch of guys could do x and y really should give you pause and shouldn't merit your support. The John Oliver piece is one of many arguments from many angles (even from the Republican establishment!) as to why even remotely considering Trump is ridiculous. People could have different views as to why they like a certain candidate with certain values, but people who support him usually can't formulate a logical argument of good qualities to counter an avalanche of negatives. At least you'll get relatively consistent rhetoric from just about any other candidates even though most others have major flaws as well.

Long story short, even though I wouldn't place Vox high in the scholarly category, I will say this piece really gave food for thought about not just Trump, but a very real potential for a real regression into authoritarianism: http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

To me it the most plausible explanation for the Trump phenomenon that I have seen so far.

there's also a difference between an article making fun of trump's old penis versus an article making fun of hillary's "staggering" list of accomplishments.

1) The Onion being soft on left wing candidates and coming down hard on right wing candidates is NOT new.

2) The Onion is far more pro-Bernie than pro-Hillary. (*As long as you ignore that scathing piece about his wild hand gestures)

3) Bernie supporters calling Hillary "uninspiring" is 100% a thing and worth calling out.

4) All those other pieces about Hillary being a coercive, tepid, robot following an unholy tide of fate to victory do not fit your story. 

5) Donald Trump is a living, breathing sack of shit and deserves whatever mockery that comes his way.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35828747

Trump presidency rated among top 10 global risks: EIU

If he is denied the Republican nomination, he should be arrested for inciting a riot(which he should have been already). That speech he gave saying his supporters would probably riot if he was denied the nomination is proof enough.

I am not sure I understand what is so bad about Hillary.  I get she's not as far left as Bernie, but for anyone who supports equal rights/womens rights/choice rights, I cant see how/why you wouldn't support Hillary in November.  I get she's not a dreamboat, but she's not the end of the world democratic candidate... 

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35828747

Trump presidency rated among top 10 global risks: EIU

If he is denied the Republican nomination, he should be arrested for inciting a riot(which he should have been already). That speech he gave saying his supporters would probably riot if he was denied the nomination is proof enough.

I heard about that speech, didn't watch it. Got tired of watching all his stuff.

But him saying his supporters would probably riot isn't really inciting a riot is it?

It is a reasonable assumption.

He has the most votes (still don't know why)

To deny him the nomination would piss off his supporters.

I am not sure I understand what is so bad about Hillary.  I get she's not as far left as Bernie, but for anyone who supports equal rights/womens rights/choice rights, I cant see how/why you wouldn't support Hillary in November.  I get she's not a dreamboat, but she's not the end of the world democratic candidate... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0H1AosZdv0&feature=youtu.be&t=24s

This about sums it up for some people

EDIT: Got it. You can start at 23 seconds to get the point haha

I heard about that speech, didn't watch it. Got tired of watching all his stuff.

But him saying his supporters would probably riot isn't really inciting a riot is it?

It is a reasonable assumption.

He has the most votes (still don't know why)

To deny him the nomination would piss off his supporters.

He's putting the idea in their heads but, that wouldn't hold up on charging him.

It baffles me too but, screw all of his supporters.