MCDELTAT

PO Soon: Sorority Noise-You're Not As ______ As You Think

168 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dapeebs said:

Didn't really plan on listening to this, but I read a review on it saying it's the power pop version of Home, Like NoPlace is There, but with guitar solos. I know there's no way it's as good as that album, but that comparison has me intrigued. 

 

I dunno man, I think this album is great and didn't care for that Hotelier album at all. 

rogeoa8 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, museummouth said:

This exact thing.

 

This is much better than Joy, Departed. And The Hotelier is a bit overrated IMO.

I can agree that they can be a bit overrated. Only album of theirs I like as a whole is Home, and definitely deserves all the credit it gets. I   loved Joy, Departed, so from what I'm hearing I guess I should stream this tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rogeoa8 said:

To me, that's a little unfair. Yes, Sioux Falls take a more "serious" rather than playful tone than these bands, but that doesn't equate to better. I admit I am a huge Modern Baseball fan, I don't think many albums have come out in recent years that are better than Sports, but yes, Rot Forever was something special for sure. And I would absolutely agree Rot Forever is better than anything Sorority Noise and certainly Joyce Manor have put out, so yeah i guess i pretty much agree.

Huh? They talk about the internet and South Park in just the first song (which has a joke title about the fast and the furious mind you) it isn't more serious that's just the sound of better. And I'm sorry but to praise Sports that way is laughable.

Edited by Sunshine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Huh? They talk about the internet and South Park in just the first song (which has a joke title about the fast and the furious mind you) it isn't more serious that's just the sound of better. And I'm sorry but to praise Sports that way is laughable.

its all good, man. people seem to agree with you, but i still like sports and will say it was a great album, song for song, in my book. i agree there are jokes in rot forever, but i think a lot of people would take the tone of that album - if only based on vocal delivery - as very different than a typical moba/joycemanor/sororitynoise album. im just saying, there were a lot of great songs on rot forever, but there were also a few i would have left out, and that matters to me when assessing an album as a whole.

Edited by rogeoa8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rogeoa8 said:

im just saying, there were a lot of great songs on rot forever, but there were also a few i would have left out, and that matters to me when assessing an album as a whole.

I think this is what it basically boils down to.  We're all entitled to our own opinions, but there isn't a single song I'm not pumped to hear on Rot Forever.  Its "weakest" songs are a lot more engaging and memorable than anything I've heard from Joyce Manor, Modern Baseball, Sports, or Sorority Noise... though, to be fair, I haven't listened to a full discography of any of those bands.  But for an album that runs longer than the vast majority of records out there, I wouldn't say Rot Forever stumbles or delivers a single mediocre song, and maybe that's why I'm holding it in such a higher regard to anything released by the aforementioned bands.

dantheriver and batman like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

I think this is what it basically boils down to.  We're all entitled to our own opinions, but there isn't a single song I'm not pumped to hear on Rot Forever.  Its "weakest" songs are a lot more engaging and memorable than anything I've heard from Joyce Manor, Modern Baseball, Sports, or Sorority Noise... though, to be fair, I haven't listened to a full discography of any of those bands.  But for an album that runs longer than the vast majority of records out there, I wouldn't say Rot Forever stumbles or delivers a single mediocre song, and maybe that's why I'm holding it in such a higher regard to anything released by the aforementioned bands.

just to clarify, i wasnt talking about the band sports but the album sports by modern baseball. there is a decent pop-punk band called "sports." there is and i think a better dream pop band called "sports" (check them out) but this is a good point nonetheless about opinions. for those critiquing sports as a "great album", I'm talking about it as yes, an album i listen to often, but also the reason I appreciate it. modern baseball are what blink were to me in my teens right now, pretty much. regardless, to throw joyce manor or sorority noise (maybe until this album) in with modern baseball at this point to me is questionable at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rogeoa8 said:

just to clarify, i wasnt talking about the band sports but the album sports by modern baseball. there is a decent pop-punk band called "sports." there is and i think a better dream pop band called "sports" (check them out) but this is a good point nonetheless about opinions. for those critiquing sports as a "great album", I'm talking about it as yes, an album i listen to often, but also the reason I appreciate it. modern baseball are what blink were to me in my teens right now, pretty much. regardless, to throw joyce manor or sorority noise (maybe until this album) in with modern baseball at this point to me is questionable at best.

Hah, I think you just illustrated another big part of the problem here.  Even though I mistook your mention of Sports for the band and not the album, the fact that so many genres and sub-genres get lumped under one umbrella label like "emo" just adds to the confusion.  (You're not wrong at all by pointing out that all of the bands in question have unique sounds and styles that make them their own thing, but the "emo" tag can be woven through them all, for better or worse.  I get the same issue with post-rock, which has basically come to mean "instrumental band".)  Joyce Manor don't really reach the instrumental peaks and climaxes that Sioux Falls craft on Rot Forever, but there's nothing wrong with that, because a lot of people aren't listening to Joyce Manor for "epic" emo / garage / indie / whatever you'd like to call Rot Forever.  Very different records for very different moods.

 

My very first post of today was mostly in jest – even though I think Rot Forever offers myself a lot more than the other bands listed, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's universally "better".  That's going to depend what you're in the mood for, and who you ask.  But I just found it funny that you more or less theorized how great it'd be if an "emo" band came along and did what Rot Forever has.  Sure... you were probably referring to a band more in-line with Joyce Manor, where that theoretical hour and 7 minutes weren't dotted with tracks that spanned 7-8 minutes, but were instead filled with no shortage of short, energetic anthems for sweaty basement shows.  And I agree that that'd be very ambitious for that particular branch of emo.  But andables' response to your daydream post was still perfect, I think.

 

Also, I'm glad to see both Rambo and museummouth feel as though Hotelier don't quite live up to the magic and awe that they seem to get everywhere else.  I was starting to think I was the only one.

andables likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Also, I'm glad to see both Rambo and museummouth feel as though Hotelier don't quite live up to the magic and awe that they seem to get everywhere else.  I was starting to think I was the only one.

The Goodness thread really seemed to die after the album came out. Not sure if most people here disliked it, or it just didn't live up to Home. I really like it still.

Rot Forever is amazing, also. I championed that thread for a while and was glad to see some people here get into it. Probably going to put on some headphones and listen to it again right now. Thanks to everyone who brought it up in this thread for reminding me!

edit: speaking of Sioux Falls, don't forget the name change to Strange Ranger. Here's a few new songs from last month: http://www.stereogum.com/1926128/strange-ranger-nobody-knows-if-one-mississippilight-in-through-the-window/premiere/

This new SN album is way more memorable than anything else they've done, IMO.  Granted that's after 2 listens.

I don't really care enough to comment on Joyce Manor or Modern Baseball even though I own all of their records. 

Edited by dantheriver
andables and EGsynergy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Well damn... feel like I missed out on this Souix Falls album.  Never heard of them before but you guys definitely have me interested.  It's OOP now though, isn't it?  Can't seem to find it anywhere...

http://standardbrickhouse.com/product/sioux-falls-rot-forever/

getchu one

FiggyPuddling likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Well damn... feel like I missed out on this Souix Falls album.  Never heard of them before but you guys definitely have me interested.  It's OOP now though, isn't it?  Can't seem to find it anywhere...

 

1 minute ago, dantheriver said:

 

Your best hype-influenced blind buy of 2017.  Screencap this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

 

Your best hype-influenced blind buy of 2017.  Screencap this.

I somehow missed out on this record too, but it's name-your-price on bandcamp so I'll give it a go once I'm done with what I'm listening to now. 

 

To half put this on track and half contribute to the "pseudo-emo/what-the-hell-is-this-scene-called" discussion, it's weird to say in a Sorority Noise thread but I really fucking hate Modern Baseball. Joyce Manor don't offend me but I don't care for them. I haven't bothered with Home, Like Noplace because everyone says it's amazing and it's not going to live up to that expectation, but the new one was enjoyable. Maybe I'll finally listen to it when I finish with Rot Forever.

 

If I'm being honest, I liked Joy Departed on first listen and the more I played it the less I ended up liking it. I can't really see the new record doing that--instrumentally it holds my attention more and lyrically it just makes me hurt, but in the way it's supposed to. One of my best friends just the other day was put into the same situation that Cam was in when he wrote this, and I can't decide whether this record would be good for him or if it would be too much. Inserting him into the songs when I listen to it definitely has an impact on me, though; maybe that's why I like it so much. If I can say anything for its case that isn't specific to me, it's definitely a much more focused record than its predecessor. 

Edited by DOMAN127
most----->more
Derek™ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dantheriver said:

 

Thanks so much!  Bought!

 

Also had a $50 Amazon gift card I've been meaning to use, so I grabbed new Sorority Noise, new Japandroids, and new Menzingers from there.  I have a little catching up to do.

dantheriver likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, marc32137 said:

Listened 3 times in my car and just spun my tricolor. This album is beautiful but it breaks my heart so much. Doesn't help that this week has been so horrible for me, though. 

 

Yeah....I got my vinyl copy on Thursday. It just happened to be the one year anniversary of one of my friends passing. I used to train for bike races with him, he was hit by a drunk driver on a training ride. So I jammed this album and went on a ride to his 'ghost bike'. I think this album is just for those of us who sometimes feel the same.

DOMAN127 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now