Third Eye Blind - S/T

It depends on the release but for most of the major labels ones including third eye blind, we were using high quality unmastered wav files i believe was what he preferred and having my sound engineer remaster them for vinyl.

Thanks for reply. I wish labels would sell those too. Not just vinyl. I would kill for an unmastered version of Say Hello to Sunshine.

It's not like third eye blind has to tell the label it's ok. they aren't on the label anymore. bands hardly ever actually have the rights to their own masters from a major label release. most of the band is made up of different people now anyway. if ETR contacted the people that own the rights, they did all they needed to do. when a band signs a major label deal, they can't expect to have a say in whatever way that music is licensed forever. it just doesn't work that way. major labels are not in the business of nourishing artists and doing what the artists wants. they are in the business of selling their music with as much ownership as possible. and while I like them, third eye blind is not in the business of doing right by an indie label trying to repackage their music. in short, ETR is not the bad guy, if there is one.

Nobody is saying ETR is not going thru the correct legal channels. It is just unethical to do these reissues without the band's consent or input.

Where is the rule book for that? And again, it's really just Stephan Jenkins at this point, not the band. If a band aligns with a company to produce and distribute their music, they have no right to be ethically offended when that company decides to use their options. Stephan Jenkins knows this now, which is why he has his own channel to do things. To say it's unethical really is B.S.

If I take a photo and sell the rights to a stock photo company to use and distribute, I can't take issue with the way it is used and distributed, and whoever pays to use it doesn't have to come to me for my blessing.

To all the idiots on the board waiving the "it's unethical" banner: These bands all had lawyers when they signed their contracts with the labels. They knew they were signing away the rights to their music, and if they didn't agree with it and went ahead anyway to make a quick buck then they had no artistic integrity to begin with. In an ideal world, when bands sign distribution deals its to get their music into the hands of as many fans as possible. Even if that's 15 years down the line when a small indie label wants to bust it's ass to create an awesome rerelease of your album. If anything as a band with any kind of artistic integrity they should be thrilled to have a team working on this that's going to pay such close attention to detail to make sure the packaging/sound quality is perfect. Because I guarantee a major label isn't going to put the kind of time and effort into a rerelease as a small label run by fans who are so good at what they do and want a really awesome final product. This is a simple case of a money grab by the band. Which, don't get me wrong, is totally their prerogative, but don't bash ETR for doing the right thing and backing off when the band stepped in. And you can't blame them for being disappointed after working so hard for so long and then losing a release they are such fans of. I mean shit, I'm disappointed this isn't coming out on ETR. I know it would've been awesome, and I know whatever Stephen Jenkins' shitty publishing company comes up with wont be half as good.

^the band was young and inexperienced when they signed their contract they probably had lawyers/label heads/managers telling them they would maintain 100% control just sign here, you trust us don't you. And they are still paying for their ignorance all these years later. They probably didn't even make a quick buck as you are accusing them of doing.

^the band was young and inexperienced when they signed their contract they probably had lawyers/label heads/managers telling them they would maintain 100% control just sign here, you trust us don't you. And they are still paying for their ignorance all these years later. They probably didn't even make a quick buck as you are accusing them of doing.

What you're saying here makes me think you don't know why you hire a lawyer.

I'm sure the label was telling the band exactly what they wanted to hear, but you hire a lawyer to protect your interests both artistically and financially.

And I'm not accusing them of trying to make a quick buck. I'm just saying if they had a problem with the contract and they chose to make a quick buck over standing up for their artistic integrity, then they are fucking sellouts and deserve whatever they get.

Stephan Jenkins was 32 years old in 1996. They had been demoing and shopping to labels for years.

...and I base this on absolutely nothing.

You know what I am reading: There are a lot of people on this board who have never needed significant funding for an artistic undertaking and have never had to negotiate a contract. Further, they have probably never felt the pressure of needing to find continued funding to pay people's salaries, people who depend on you to survive in a harsh business world.

Quit guessing and judging. Some of what I've read here comes from a place of complete ignorance and if that's not the cause then it's complete stupidity.

You know what I am reading: There are a lot of people on this board who have never needed significant funding for an artistic undertaking and have never had to negotiate a contract. Further, they have probably never felt the pressure of needing to find continued funding to pay people's salaries, people who depend on you to survive in a harsh business world.

Quit guessing and judging. Some of what I've read here comes from a place of complete ignorance and if that's not the cause then it's complete stupidity.

BOOM

Fixed.