Nine Inch Nails- Hesitation Marks- Halo 28- Sept 3

Everything is where I draw the line as a NIN fan. NIN is my all time favorite band, but come on. What was he thinking. Everything is a new low pesonally for Nails.  I of course will be buying the album. BUT DAMN IT REZNOR. 

I completely agree.  And to anyone that says we shouldn't expect the "old NIN" because Trent is older now, conquered some demons, and whatever.  Well... maybe he should end Nine Inch Nails and start a new band.  "Everything" is not NIN as far as I'm concerned.  I gave it a couple of listens and I don't think I'm ever going to like it.  I really liked the first 2 songs and I really hope that "Everything" will be the only song on the album that I don't like.

I'm waiting to hear the whole album at once, but the conversation is intriguing. Can't wait till it's finally released (or leaked).

I agree here more than the straight-forward hatred of Everything. I'm getting the feeling that it's "happy, poppy" feel has some sarcastic overtones when played with the album. Hesitation Marks really feels like it'll be a concept album, and Reznor knows how to put stuff like that together.

I'm assuming the people that don't like Everything also don't like most of Pretty Hate Machine.

No fucking way. I fucking love pretty hate machine. And I hate the comparison with Everything to Pretty Hate Machine. (i understand why people make it). Pretty Hate Machine is so raw and emotional and real. It never tires with me. But the downward spiral is the best thing Reznor ever did. Done. Over. Out.

No fucking way. I fucking love pretty hate machine. And I hate the comparison with Everything to Pretty Hate Machine. (i understand why people make it). Pretty Hate Machine is so raw and emotional and real. It never tires with me. But the downward spiral is the best thing Reznor ever did. Done. Over. Out.

Sensitive subject, eh? ;)

I love Pretty Hate Machine too. But my wife doesn't really care for it. We both like The Fragile best. I just find it interesting that people are saying that Everything is too poppy for NIN. Go through their catalogue. There are pop songs mixed in most albums.

Anyways, if you hate it, then you hate it.

I think it's a little silly to insist NIN has reached "a new low"  or "lost it" over one song. While I agree this is way more upbeat and poppy than the stuff he's done in the past. All the albums have their ups and downs. The Downward Spirals is awesome but if I never heard Piggy again I'd be fine with it. Trent retired the band in 2009 and has since gotten married, had some kids, won an academy award and is "happy for the 1st time in his life". Of course he and the band has changed. He even references this in the song:

"Wave goodbye,

wish me well,

I've become something else"

I for one am just thrilled that we get some we get some new music (some good and some not good I assume) and have a chance to see them play again. Let the dude grow and try some new shit without freaking out, it's one song.

Also that video is amazing!

I'm assuming the people that don't like Everything also don't like most of Pretty Hate Machine.

I love Pretty Hate Machine, mostly because it's full of good catchy tunes with attitude and emotion. Everything on the other hand has none of those qualities. Trent had a great run from PHM through The Fragile but the only recent album I've enjoyed is Year Zero. 

I kind of hear upbeat The Cure out of the instrumental for Everything. Not a terrible thing and the song is nowhere near as "poppy" as people were making it out to be.

It's the initial vocal hook, that's honestly the only "pop" thing going on.  The song's not his best, but no where near his worst.  Even if it was, he has literally written HUNDREDS of other "better" songs.  If the number of shitty songs he's written can be counted on one hand, then who cares?

I think it's a little silly to insist NIN has reached "a new low"  or "lost it" over one song. While I agree this is way more upbeat and poppy than the stuff he's done in the past. All the albums have their ups and downs. The Downward Spirals is awesome but if I never heard Piggy again I'd be fine with it. Trent retired the band in 2009 and has since gotten married, had some kids, won an academy award and is "happy for the 1st time in his life". Of course he and the band has changed. He even references this in the song:

"Wave goodbye,

wish me well,

I've become something else"

I for one am just thrilled that we get some we get some new music (some good and some not good I assume) and have a chance to see them play again. Let the dude grow and try some new shit without freaking out, it's one song.

Also that video is amazing!

It isnt silly at all to say he has reached a new low. It is just honest. During the 90's trent pumped out some of the best material he ever wrote. It was all extremely passionate, heart felt, and new (pretty hate,broken,downward spiral, fragile etc.) After this era I simply noticed trent was covering a lot of the exact same ground that he had already covered (especially lyrically). I am not saying he did it all the time, because albums like Year Zero were new and fresh and Ghosts was spectacular. And then of course both the soundtracks he did were wonderful. But this song "Everything" sounds old. It was predictable in every sense. I loved the downward spiral not because it was depressing but  actually mainly for the sonic texture that he used and the emotion that came with it. 

One reason I loved the how to destroy angels LP so much was because it was a new side of trent. And it certainly wasnt all depressing. I found how to destroy angels uplifting in a realistic sense. But with "Everything" I get the same feelings I get from most of "The Slip": half assed. I guess when you listen to Trent for years and years like i did and still do, I am always expecting him at his fullest and I dont feel that  "Everything" is. 

He has done all of those vocal patterns before. He has covered all the lyrics territory before. The beat is boring as hell. The guitarwork has been done on his previous albums.

For me it has nothing to do at all with if the song is sad or happy. I am not pissed about this song because it is upbeat. I am pissed because it is boring,repetitive, uninspired and it has nothing new to offer. 

But I must also admit i am thrilled that I get to see him live several times this year and I probably will always admire Reznor.