RSD - Sunny Day Real Estate / Circa Survive Split 7"

b0223ec0.jpg

circa.product.mock2-front.jpg

The release is a split with Circa Survive and features exclusive tracks from both bands. SDRE's song is called "Lipton Witch"; it's their first new song since The Rising Tide was released in 2000.
Circa Survive's track is called "Bad Heart", recorded after the release of the band's last album, 2012's Violent Waves. The artwork (above) is by Chris Thompson, who did the art for Diaryand SDRE's 1998 album How It Feels to Be Something On.
It's a limited pressing, with 2,400 coming out on burgundy vinyl and 100 on clear vinyl.

RSD

Does this seem like a completely random pairing of bands to anybody else?

It really does!

Pitchfork has a blurb from a member of Circa, as to how this came about:

I went to see a few of the Sunny Day Real Estate shows when they toured in 2009 and I knew they’d written and recorded at least one song during that time. I got Jeremy Enigk’s info from a mutual friend and emailed him asking if they had anything planned with the track. I knew they were on a hiatus and I hated the idea of that song never being released.  Jeremy spoke with the other guys who all seemed interested to do the split I had I proposed.  We had a B-side we’d been sitting on that had a mellower vibe which seemed to balance their more rocking song in a way that another upbeat jam might not have. I couldn’t be more happy that this is happening. I honestly think this one of the best songs Sunny Day has ever written and I’m really happy that fans are going to get to hear it.

I wonder if this is the song they were playing on their reunion tour

I really liked that new song posted by "agaetisbyrjun" 

Something to look forward to, whether that is the track or not.

i'm 99.9% sure they only wrote one new song, and it is the one they played on tour.