Vinyl wrappers

This thread is reminding me of my mother, who leaves protective films on all her new electronics (laptops, microwaves, DVD players, etc.) until the adhesive is completely worn out. I tell her it looks ugly, and it's not going to change the fact that they will fall off eventually, she doesn't care. When I'm over there and she's not looking, I always peel the film back and forth a few times to accelerate the wearing out process. In the same way, I would like to go to each of your homes and remove all the meticulously sliced shrink-wrap from your records and leave it all in a crumpled up ball for you dorks to find.

So I decided to replace the cheap, foggy plastic bags/sleeves for these two records and replace them with the heavier, clearer bags I like using. And I decided to spend two minutes to remove the original stickers and then replace them using a bit of double-sided tape. 

But in case this leads to derogatory comments, I'll just get it out of the way first: I don't care about the music (obviously). I didn't just do this because I think it looks neat while also protecting records I want to keep and listen to for a long time, nor did I do it because it makes the albums more personal to me. No, I did this to increase their values for resale. 

op9zc1.jpg

I hate VC. I really do. Someone new to vinyl comes along and asks a perfectly fine question and they get trampled on because you've figured out the answer years before. Instead of helping, you spend energy to make them feel bad. Coming here sucks.

It's a reasonable question because in higher-end vinyl, like the Misfits stuff I collect, shrink can make a real difference in the price.

To answer the question, I always remove shrink unless its a higher end record that I might resell.

I keep the shrink wrap if it has a sticker on it. If not, I throw it away. If it does have a sticker on it though, I'll usually just fold the shrink wrap a couple of times around thr sticker and stick in inside the sleeve or gatefold, instead of leaving it on the album.

I've had a few records where I left the shrink wrap on for a few years or more, and then its been hard to get it off later because the plastic had shrunk even more. So now I take it off all of my records. But, to each their own.

This is what I do, and it's highly encouraged. Carefully take off the shrink wrap, then preserve it in the freezer. If there is a sticker, put it in the fridge. The cold air helps keep the sticker sticky, and freezer helps keep the shrink wrap from shrinking. 

This way your trash will last forever.